Can the Leafs win the Atlantic (10-1-1 in last 12)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
And how do you know he didn't make a solid effort to? Are you on the team or something?

Well if he gave a solid effort he failed miserably. This is pro sports, no A for effort. Look at all the NFL head coaches who get fired on this day every year. When you don't deliver, you failed. Period.

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008
Well if he gave a solid effort he failed miserably. This is pro sports, no A for effort. Look at all the NFL head coaches who get fired on this day every year. When you don't deliver, you failed. Period.

But what are you basing this on? Why is it Phaneuf's fault the entire team shat the bed? I was unaware that it's the captain's job to fix every team problem...

Also your NFL analogy doesn't apply. We're talking about players here, not coaches.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
But what are you basing this on? Why is it Phaneuf's fault the entire team shat the bed? I was unaware that it's the captain's job to fix every team problem...

He's the captain. It's not his job to assemble the roster, but it's his job to keep the team together. The leafs collapsed. Not once, not twice, but three times in a row. There's a fair share of blame to go around but the captain deserves his fair share. If he can't handle that responsibility then he shouldn't be captain.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He's the captain. It's not his job to assemble the roster, but it's his job to keep the team together. The leafs collapsed. Not once, not twice, but three times in a row. There's a fair share of blame to go around but the captain deserves his fair share. If he can't handle that responsibility then he shouldn't be captain.

Swapping letters off of clothing doesn't do anything. See the Sharks this season. Just as inconsistent as they were prior. It's more about the collective than one individual.

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008

They didn't collapse 3 years in a row. They collapsed last season, definitely. The season before they made the playoffs and lost in game 7. Sure, the game itself may have been a 'collapse', but it's incomparable to a real collapse that consists of 10-15 games of terrible hockey.

The season prior to that they didn't collapse. Go look at their record towards the end of the year - they maintained a similar pace to what they held throughout the season.

I just disagree that it's up to Phaneuf to right team wrongs. I don't think any of this is on him directly (he should take some of the blame, along with the rest of the players).

That said, I do think he's a ****** captain ;)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I just think it would send a good message (a better one would be if they shipped him out of town but I don't think they want to do that). I agree swapping letters on clothing won't fix the underlying issues in Toronto though.

darkbrew*

Slumps happen, and the hot streak helps mitigate the sting. The issue with Toronto is structurally. In my mind, they have to give up some of the offense to play tighter defensively if they want to be successful and be a playoff team.

Being constantly hemmed in your zone and scoring on 1/4-1/3 of your shots is not a recipe for success, but this has been beaten to death already in this thread.

false. toronto needs to play to its strength. their d is awful but they have good forwards. dont pull a boudreau era capitals and try to make a team play like it cant. by trying to be more defensive the capitals stunk. they did the best when they were all out offense even in the playoffs. the leafs are the same

Pitt the Elder

Nov 7, 2013
Oakville, ON
By not holding the team together when things started going south. That's what you need out of your leaders.

I don't even... What does this even mean?

Just more proof that HFboards and hockey fans in general have literally zero clue of how the dressing room works and how "leadership" on a team does anything.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't even... What does this even mean?

Just more proof that HFboards and hockey fans in general have literally zero clue of how the dressing room works and how "leadership" on a team does anything.

Ok fill us in since you have all this inside knowledge.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
false. toronto needs to play to its strength. their d is awful but they have good forwards. dont pull a boudreau era capitals and try to make a team play like it cant. by trying to be more defensive the capitals stunk. they did the best when they were all out offense even in the playoffs. the leafs are the same

Do you think this core can win a championship? If not, what are they doing here? What's the goal of this franchise, to struggle to make the playoffs?

The fact is, they've made the playoffs once in 10 years, during a shortened season where their possession numbers were similar to the years sandwiching it in which they collapsed. That would tell us they most likely would have struggled down the stretch and either missed the playoffs or just barely snuck in. So I'm just curious to your feelings on why they are keeping a core that has proven it cannot win a championship?

As a Montreal fan, it has been 15-20 years where my team has done the exact same thing as Toronto. Patched holes with UFA's or scraps trying to just get into the playoffs and hope to get lucky. Now they've finally built the team up with key players in key positions and have a legitimate chance to compete now and for the forseeable future and it feels good to actually believe this core can win. And while Toronto and Montreal fans aren't known to get along, I live in the Toronto area and surprisingly want the franchise to be successful because you guys deserve it. You've stuck wiht this franchise through a lot of pain and suffering and I want to see it done right.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Rank the nhl captains for us from best to worst. You said he's the worst by far so you've obviously given it a lot of thought already

Ohhhhhh snap! It's on.

You talk a good ranking game warrior time, but can you walk your good ranking talk?

Guantlet down

Mic dropped

Challenge placed

Ball served

Gavel down

Bell rung

Can opened

It.

Is.

On.

montador*

Ohhhhhh snap! It's on.

You talk a good ranking game warrior time, but can you walk your good ranking talk?

Guantlet down

Mic dropped

Challenge placed

Ball served

Gavel down

Bell rung

Can opened

It.

Is.

On.
He won't respond. And if he does there is no way he accepts my challenge. His reply will be full of qualifiers and fluff.

and fwiw I'm no phaneuf fan. But his posts have been idiotic at best

montador*

Ohhhhhh snap! It's on.

Guantlet down

Mic dropped

Challenge placed

Ball served

Gavel down

Bell rung

Can opened

It.

Is.

On.
He won't respond. And if he does there is no way he accepts my challenge. His reply will be full of qualifiersand qualifiers and fluff.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He won't respond. And if he does there is no way he accepts my challenge. His reply will be full of qualifiersand qualifiers and fluff.

Speak for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad