Can the Leafs replace JVR's goals this season?

Can the Leafs replace all of JVR's goals this season?

• Total voters

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think people are underestimating Tyler Ennis he was always a pain in our backside when we went to buffalo however because he's a small player, he has to stay healthy but he plays with a lot of heart and gets injured a lot.

Staying injury free he could return to his 20 goal and 20 assist type season?

Ennis has a 5% shooting percentage over the past 3 years (and last year he was healthy). That's sub-Komarov numbers, FYI. No way that he returns to a 20 goal pace unless he learns how to shoot again.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The goals are one thing but how are they going to replace those whopping 18 assists?

Tavares will come pretty close to replacing Bozak and JvR's production all by himself, since he can score *and* pass.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So you think Johnsson is a better player and set up man than Marner?

Johnsson plays a more aggressive game high tempo never quit game but he's not even in the same discussion as Marner in terms of offence output.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Johnsson plays a more aggressive game high tempo never quit game but he's not even in the same discussion as Marner in terms of offence output.
Exactly. But someone suggested that Kadri, on the third line with Johnsson, would have the same offensive output as he did on the second line with Marner.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Ennis has a 5% shooting percentage over the past 3 years (and last year he was healthy). That's sub-Komarov numbers, FYI. No way that he returns to a 20 goal pace unless he learns how to shoot again.

It could be Johnsson on Kadri's LW but in this article i read after posting my idea on Ennis on LW..... Good article

Projecting the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 2018-19 Opening Night Forward Lines

By Alec Brownscombe
Aug 20, 2018
Projecting the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 2018-19 Opening Night Forward Lines | Maple Leafs Hotstove
Line #3: Tyler Ennis – Nazem Kadri – Connor Brown

Ennis’ role, if he does slot in here, should be as a disrupter who isn’t touching the puck a lot but can make skilled plays at top speed — and in traffic – as well as finish his chances when crashing the net or driving the slot. Based on Ennis’ recent history in Minnesota, he appears to be in a situation where he’s either in the team’s top nine or he’s not dressing at all — he wouldn’t appear to be a credible fourth-line option under Babcock — but we’ll see how it shakes out at camp. The big question mark with Ennis surround his health and confidence levels, but he’s got a track record of scoring success in the NHL.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Um, no. It took Tavares averaging over 20 minutes ice time per game (on the top line) to score as many as JvR managed in only 15 minutes ice time (on the third line).
Tavares faced a much tougher competition, other teams top D out every time he's on the ice.

What are they gonna do now when the Matthews line (or the Kadri line) is on the ice? :)

Reactions: Garthinater

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I really liked JVR, seemed like a really cool well liked guy. But we didn't resign him or Bozak, so what does that tell you? \

Dubas may be the coolest thug to ever GM in the NHL, and if he wanted either of those two guys, they would be at training camp.

Kapanen is ready to explode, so is Johnson. And they will hit guys into the boards and want to hurt them.

Bozak and JVR were two very, very nice guys. But they didn't have any meanness to them. Johnsson has had to fight for every inch, same almost for Kapanen.

Add that Swedish kid Grundstrom, and you have three hungry guys that will score goals and do a half decent Tom Wilson impression.

Buddy of mine was at the restaurant Wilson celebrated his new contract btw. Forget the name of it, some italian place, lotta champagne and laughs and guffaws happened that night apparently. Good for him, he won a Stanley.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The biggest thing with the departure of JVR/Bozak is we no longer have to massively shelter our 3rd line and cherry pick OZ starts.

Now Babcock can just roll his lines without much fear of any line getting exposed and that does alot for a team especially when you have the depth we do.

Our defensive game and attention to detail will go up by a significant margin subtracting those two players. Good offensive guys but gave most of that back with them being below average defensively and bringing almost zero physicality/intensity to the game.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Tavares/Johnsson/Kapanen should be better for our offence than Bozak/JvR/Komarov, and WAY better for our defence. This team just needs a bit of an upgrade on RD, and a decent bit more physicality, and it’ll be a very legit cup contender.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Tavares alone replaced JVR.

OUT
JVR: 36
Bozak: 11
Komarov: 7
Total: 54

IN
Tavares: 37 (33-35)
Kapanen: 7 (10-15)
Johnsson: 2 (10-15)
Estimate: 53-65

Covered and then some. Next years forward group from top to bottom will be the best lineup the leafs have iced since the 70s. We may see opposing teams cry in the post game interviews. :laugh:

Tavares scored those goals facing top competition while JVR scored those goals in "SHELTERED" role

this fact is important!

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadasTeam

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Now Babcock can just roll his lines without much fear of any line getting exposed and that does alot for a team especially when you have the depth we do.

Our defensive game and attention to detail will go up by a significant margin subtracting those two players. Good offensive guys but gave most of that back with them being below average defensively and bringing almost zero physicality/intensity to the game.

Sounds like Babcock is planning of playing Hyman on the JT to give it better defensive awareness.

This will help balance all 3 top lines better, allowing him to role all 3 freely home or away without the real need to line match if he doesn't want to, expect to set up advantages for Leafs offensively with better QofC.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm going to be bold: the increase in production from Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown and Leivo will exceed JVR's goal production in Philly this season.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I do not think as Leafs fans you should look towards Tavares replacing JVR goal scoring wise fully. I would be surprised if Tavares scores more than 35 goals this season not being the focal point (or even potentially the #2 guy on the PP) of all situations.

If you want to look towards who is going to have a goal scoring and assist boost you look towards his line mates. It may take awhile (it may not), but once you find good line mates for JT he will boost his line mates scoring. Forgive me for my ignorance, I have not had the heart to follow hockey much since Tavares left but looking at a player like Marner who only scored 22 goals last year if he is playing with Tavares I would expect anywhere from 25-30 goals from him. You could even expect a small boost in his assist total as well.

Judging from the history of Tavares the player this is what I would expect from him and his line mates:

There is always one primary scorer (Moulson/Lee/Okposo).

There is always one primary playmaker (Parenteau, Bailey, Boyes).

And then you have Tavares who will be even in both. Some months he will score a ton, some he will assist a ton, and some he will cold as all hell.

Those are my opinions on this season at least coming from an Isles fan. I hope this post doesn't come across as bitter, I'm more so still stunned he is not on the team. That being said this is how his lines were usually ran, I am not sure how Toronto will run the PP but on Long Island it was always ran through him until Barzal came and it doesn't seem as if it hurt him.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I do not think as Leafs fans you should look towards Tavares replacing JVR goal scoring wise fully. I would be surprised if Tavares scores more than 35 goals this season not being the focal point (or even potentially the #2 guy on the PP) of all situations.

If you want to look towards who is going to have a goal scoring and assist boost you look towards his line mates. It may take awhile (it may not), but once you find good line mates for JT he will boost his line mates scoring. Forgive me for my ignorance, I have not had the heart to follow hockey much since Tavares left but looking at a player like Marner who only scored 22 goals last year if he is playing with Tavares I would expect anywhere from 25-30 goals from him. You could even expect a small boost in his assist total as well.

Judging from the history of Tavares the player this is what I would expect from him and his line mates:

There is always one primary scorer (Moulson/Lee/Okposo).

There is always one primary playmaker (Parenteau, Bailey, Boyes).

And then you have Tavares who will be even in both. Some months he will score a ton, some he will assist a ton, and some he will cold as all hell.

Those are my opinions on this season at least coming from an Isles fan. I hope this post doesn't come across as bitter, I'm more so still stunned he is not on the team. That being said this is how his lines were usually ran, I am not sure how Toronto will run the PP but on Long Island it was always ran through him until Barzal came and it doesn't seem as if it hurt him.
He's templated to play with Hyman and Marner, so he'd be on the top PP since Marner runs our first unit. Marner is a huge pass first player, so Tavares will likely become more of a finisher than he's had the opportunity to be in the past.

Hyman is the digger, the one expected to recover pucks, win battles and then get out of the way.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
He's templated to play with Hyman and Marner, so he'd be on the top PP since Marner runs our first unit. Marner is a huge pass first player, so Tavares will likely become more of a finisher than he's had the opportunity to be in the past.

Hyman is the digger, the one expected to recover pucks, win battles and then get out of the way.

Just judging by his stats, Hyman is going to be a very rich man if he can continue to stay with Tavares in Toronto. He has 25 goal potential playing on that line. Tavares is a player that can excel in scoring or passing, so it should be interesting to see how he does with Marner. I am not comparing Marner to Bailey or Barzal, but historically Tavares has been fairly even throughout his career. I do not see him magically becoming a 40 goal scorer, but you should expect the stats of his line mates to increase drastically.

I don't think fans should put a number on the amount of goals or assists Tavares should score this year. It is a new system, new team, new lifestyle, and new media. There will be a lot going on for JT this year, but make no mistake he will be ready to take on all those challenges. Babcock will have none of his flaws so it should be interesting to see if there is anymore he can still develop in Toronto.

On Long Island Tavares kind of did whatever he wanted which will not be accepted in Toronto. His shifts would always be overstayed (especially in OT) and he is not a shootout player. As an Isles fan I am not excited to watch him, but as a fan of hockey it will be interesting to see if his play style changes considering he was always a goal scorer in juniors.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Just judging by his stats, Hyman is going to be a very rich man if he can continue to stay with Tavares in Toronto. He has 25 goal potential playing on that line. Tavares is a player that can excel in scoring or passing, so it should be interesting to see how he does with Marner. I am not comparing Marner to Bailey or Barzal, but historically Tavares has been fairly even throughout his career. I do not see him magically becoming a 40 goal scorer, but you should expect the stats of his line mates to increase drastically.

I don't think fans should put a number on the amount of goals or assists Tavares should score this year. It is a new system, new team, new lifestyle, and new media. There will be a lot going on for JT this year, but make no mistake he will be ready to take on all those challenges. Babcock will have none of his flaws so it should be interesting to see if there is anymore he can still develop in Toronto.

On Long Island Tavares kind of did whatever he wanted which will not be accepted in Toronto. His shifts would always be overstayed (especially in OT) and he is not a shootout player. As an Isles fan I am not excited to watch him, but as a fan of hockey it will be interesting to see if his play style changes considering he was always a goal scorer in juniors.
I expect him to fall more in to the role he did in Junior as a scorer primarily.

Were lucky enough to not need career seasons out of him. Hell, there's a good chance he's the second highest scorer on his line this year. I don't think he's ever been in a position like this

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
No issue in my mind at all! JT can rack some in and I think the triplets will all produce more, not ot mention some of the other new young talent that should produce decently.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Sounds like Babcock is planning of playing Hyman on the JT to give it better defensive awareness.

This will help balance all 3 top lines better, allowing him to role all 3 freely home or away without the real need to line match if he doesn't want to, expect to set up advantages for Leafs offensively with better QofC.

Why wouldn't you want to though?

I see a lot of people arguing about how Babcock shouldn't play matchups, we're so good up front and should "make them match up against us", and that sort of thing.

But I have no idea why anyone wants that. It's a non-issue on the road, and when you have the option to choose the matchups at home, why wouldn't you?

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
JT scored 37 last year
Averaged about 35 per year in his NHL career.

JVR averaged about 23 per year in his NHL career

My bad that was a typo. I meant 37. Tavares is easily better then JVR in all aspects of hockey. I'm not sure why someone would start a thread to ask who is going to replace JVR's goals. lol

The real question is who will replace Bozaks offense???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad