Can the Leafs replace JVR's goals this season?

Can the Leafs replace all of JVR's goals this season?

• Total voters

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think you are over stating my case a teensie bit, I didn't say virus, its not often an elite scorer moves on. None the less , JVR will have a personal book on Andy an dhe will share with his new team.
Maybe JVR could not get a pea by him in practice and I say goalies knowing the players tendencies have a bigger advantage over the player the better they know each other.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Definitely sire. Kadri will play cool and dirty dirt on the pp and I also thank marleau's thang on the pp will be aaight for us. Also uh, people like hyman might actually play 10 games on the pp and he'll score 3 times too. Our pp overall with john tavares is no lethal so we'll make even more powerplays goals than ever before. And I didn't even mention our best players in this classic post. Think about that there.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I think you're over simplifying it.

If Tavares plays with Marner, which is how everyone is assuming he with score a lot more, then won't Kadri's production drop since he won't be playing with Marner?

Also, while I agree that JvR and Bozak are bad defensively, I don't understand dumping Komarov in the same category. And while Tavares is marginally better defensively than either JvR or Bozak, he's not much.
Well by virtue everyone sorta gets an upgrade. Kadri was playing mostly with marleau, brown, Marner, Komarov last two years. He now gets two play with Johnson and kapanen/brown. So not a downgrade per se since I think Johnson-kadri duo are gonna be lethal with whoever of brown and Kappy.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Tavares alone replaced JVR.

OUT
JVR: 36
Bozak: 11
Komarov: 7
Total: 54

IN
Tavares: 37 (33-35)
Kapanen: 7 (10-15)
Johnsson: 2 (10-15)
Estimate: 53-65

Covered and then some. Next years forward group from top to bottom will be the best lineup the leafs have iced since the 70s. We may see opposing teams cry in the post game interviews. :laugh:

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Tavares is a 30+ goal player. He will will replace JVR’s goals by virtue of that alone. Add in the fact that he is a puck carrier and distributor, and his value is two -fold. Now add in the fact that he is a defensively sound player that can be trusted in more situations, and JVR fades out of the conversation completely. Not dumping on JVR here, I like him as a scoring winger / pp guy. But i really don’t think we have a scoring issue going forward here. I think Johnsson / kapinen will also provide a second wave of offence to supliment the main group.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
So, JVR scored 37 goals. But Tavares, also with 37 goals, replaced Bozak with 11. That’s a net improvement of 26. Does anyone think the player or players who replace JVR will score less than 11 goals?

Or that whoever replaces Uncle Leo will score less than 7? A net team improvement is very possible.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
JVR scored a lot of goals last year so probably not, but as a whole I expect we'll score around the same number of goals(JT increases the stats of those around him, and Johnsson/Kap increased time being better than Komarov), and we'll likely allow less because instead of a 3rd line who teams dream of matching their good players against we have 3 lines that really can match anyone and we're not dreading the matchup. We should allow a fewer number of goals as a result, and that's improving on a team that was 3rd best in GA in the East last year.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
No disrespect to JVR, but he will not be missed at all based on who will be coming in (JT, increased roles of Kappy and AJ).

We good.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Well by virtue everyone sorta gets an upgrade. Kadri was playing mostly with marleau, brown, Marner, Komarov last two years. He now gets two play with Johnson and kapanen/brown. So not a downgrade per se since I think Johnson-kadri duo are gonna be lethal with whoever of brown and Kappy.

So you think Johnsson is a better player and set up man than Marner?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
So you think Johnsson is a better player and set up man than Marner?
johnson plays a more responsible game and should be a better finisher, hes not as good as marner ofc, lines are not always about 3 individual players its how those 3 players work as unit. Having for example johnson-kadri-kapanen could correlate to similar success as marleau-kadri-marner. The new line might score more goals and keep the puck out of the net more but might not put up the same points.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
johnson plays a more responsible game and should be a better finisher, hes not as good as marner ofc, lines are not always about 3 individual players its how those 3 players work as unit. Having for example johnson-kadri-kapanen could correlate to similar success as marleau-kadri-marner. The new line might score more goals and keep the puck out of the net more but might not put up the same points.
Ok. I think you're being over optimistic about Johnsson, but I hope you're right.

I see everyone has ignored my point about Tavares having a lot more ice time than JvR.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Ok. I think you're being over optimistic about Johnsson, but I hope you're right.

I see everyone has ignored my point about Tavares having a lot more ice time than JvR.
JvR was in a only offensive role though. Tavares also had top comp which on the leafs will be split across 3 lines. Tavares won't have to do as much heavy lifting and have easier minutes and better linemates. If anything he should improve while JvR should stay around the same.

Johnson is good he should have a 40 point plus season while being the best defensive winger on the leafs. I'm a bit optimistic but he's the real deal Imo.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Johnsson = Bozak goal totals (11 goals ppl)
Tavares = JVR goal totals

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I keep seeing people ask this. I think Tavares alone will do that. But people also bring up Bozak. So does Tavares replace Bozak or JVR? I think between Tavares, Johnsson and a full year of Kapanen, we replace JVR, Bozak and Komarov easily.

I think the majority of posters agree, but just so we don't see a million " I thought we couldn't replace JVR's goals" threads or comments next season, lets get the record straight.
How do you feel. Can the Leafs replace JVR's goals? Even strength and power play.(36)

Bozak scored 11 goals. Leo 7.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I consider jvr a one trick and Bozak an undrafted fringe nhl player. (And yes... I said the same about them when they were leafs).

A bona fide star player like Tavares is worth Jvr+Bozak times 50.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I have Tavares down for at least 30.

Johnsson and Kapanen should be good for 10-15 each.

Matthews plays a full season he gets 45.

I think we'll manage.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
I don't think any single player will replace JVR on the LW but we have added Tyler Ennis and John Tavares and if they stay healthy should replace and better JVR and Bozak's totals from last year and moving Marleau and Marner up to the top six, they should give us pretty good fire power this year.

Matthews and Tavares centering Marleau and Marner, there shouldn't be any lack of goals being scored.

Marleau/Matthews/Nylander
Hyman/Tavares/Marner
Ennis/Kadri/Brown-Kapenan

Johnsson is on third line.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Too bad we have to. We'd be so much better off with JVR instead of Marleau.
Would we though? Would you really prefer JVRs contract over Marleaus? JVR is a 30 goal winger who does absolutely nothing besides score goals around the net. He's excellent at it but he doesn't do anything else. He has a huge contract, can't play defense and isn't a core player. You don't invest in those players. Marleau may not match JVR in production but he's good for 25 goals, is a former captain, can play center, is good defensively and is on a shorter term deal. JVR is a fine player but even without Marleau there's no way we could afford him. He's a luxury.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The answer is no because JVR scored them. Nobody else.
The new guys will have to score their own.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
The goals are one thing but how are they going to replace those whopping 18 assists?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Johnsson is on third line.

I think people are underestimating Tyler Ennis he was always a pain in our backside when we went to buffalo however because he's a small player, he has to stay healthy but he plays with a lot of heart and gets injured a lot.

Staying injury free he could return to his 20 goal and 20 assist type season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->