Can the Leafs replace JVR's goals this season?

Can the Leafs replace all of JVR's goals this season?

• Total voters

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I can't believe anyone thinks our offence won't be significantly better this season. Remember how much adding a 1C in Matthews changed the dynamic of our team? Well he was only a rookie. Tavares is in his prime. He will make the players around him much better, he won't be sheltered like Bozak, and he will draw focus away from our other centers. Not to mention our exciting young players will get ice time in place of the black hole that was Komorov last season.

It's so much more than punching goal totals into a calculator and calling it a day. We are much, much better up front than we were last season.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
While JT should replace all if not more of JVR's goals, the real beneficiary here will be Mathews and his line as he won't be facing the opponents top checking line and best D. If they key in on Mathews' line, then JT and kadri should have things easier.

Reactions: kb

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
While JT should replace all if not more of JVR's goals, the real beneficiary here will be Mathews and his line as he won't be facing the opponents top checking line and best D. If they key in on Mathews' line, then JT and kadri should have things easier.
I think Matthews still will be facing top checking lines but It'll be interesting to see how they're targeted on the road. It's probably whoever is hotter at the time gets the harder matchups.
Matthews and Nylander on a 5 game goal streak? Put the top defenders against them opening up Tavares and Marner. Tavares and Marner on a 5 game goal streak? Give them the tougher matchup opening up Matthews and Nylander.

At home? Put Kadri's line against their top line and have Matthews and Tavares face secondary competition and laugh.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not sure of the logic. JvR scored as many goals last year as JvR did, so Matthews should still be facing the same opponents. If they key on Matthews the same as they did last year, then JT and Kadri should face the same as JvR and Kadri did last year.

The biggest difference should be that Kadri will be third line instead of second, and JT will be second line instead of first. Easier opponents, but less ice time. Let's see how they do.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tavares faced a much tougher competition, other teams top D out every time he's on the ice.

What are they gonna do now when the Matthews line (or the Kadri line) is on the ice? :)
Agreed. What I was discussing was a different point.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I feel that thinking Tavares' better offence will more than make up for Kadri's better defence might be optimistic, as does thinking Johansson's defence will more than make up for JvR's offence.

I hope you're right.

Also did you notice that, over the last two seasons, Tavares has only two more PP goals than JvR, and exactly the same number of total goals, even though he has averaged about 30% more ice time?

1. I wouldn't say that Kadri is superior to Tavares on defense.
2. Compare Tavares & JVR's assists...not just their goals.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
1. I wouldn't say that Kadri is superior to Tavares on defense.
2. Compare Tavares & JVR's assists...not just their goals.
1. Considering that Kadri is supposed to be the best defensive forward (which is why he has been the "shut down" guy), I'd be quite surprised, but very pleased, if Tavares is better.

2. Not sure why you mention this, as it has nothing to do with the discussion.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
1. Considering that Kadri is supposed to be the best defensive forward (which is why he has been the "shut down" guy), I'd be quite surprised, but very pleased, if Tavares is better.

2. Not sure why you mention this, as it has nothing to do with the discussion.

1. Who says Kadri's "the best defensive forward" and who said Tavares isn't good at defense? (He's very good)

2. We're talking about replacing goals...do you think goals happen without assists? If you replace JVR with a better playmaker it will improve the production (goals) of those around him. So if Tavares gets the same amount of goals as JVR but 20 more assists...he's directly created 10-15 more Leaf goals & indirectly helped create the other 5-10.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
1. Who says Kadri's "the best defensive forward" and who said Tavares isn't good at defense? (He's very good)

2. We're talking about replacing goals...do you think goals happen without assists? If you replace JVR with a better playmaker it will improve the production (goals) of those around him. So if Tavares gets the same amount of goals as JVR but 20 more assists...he's directly created 10-15 more Leaf goals & indirectly helped create the other 5-10.
It won't work exactly like that. I know it is a bit overblown but the small amount of defensive zone starts on the JVR line should give the 1st and second line a bit more of break this year (even though most line shifts are on the fly). By default, their defensive zone starts should reduce thereby giving them more shot opportunities and points

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Babcock for one (yeah, what does he know?), says that Kadri is his best defensive forward (and certainly true now that Komarov is gone), which is why he uses him as his shut down center. And nobody said Tavares wasn't good defensively. All I said was that considering him better than Kadri was optimistic.

As to the other point, I was referring to the poster who had Tavares in Kadri's spot and Johnsson in JvR's spot. Again, I think that assuming he will both be the best defensive forward, replacing Kadri, while also replacing JvR, is overly optimistic.

But I would be very happy if he does.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
The question should be "how are we going to replace JVR and his skillset on the PP"

We don't, JVR might be a top 5 league asset on the PP, he is simply tremendous.

Unfortunately for him, he really sucks outside of that and is incredibly inconsistent.

We don't need to replace 30 goals because defensively he sucks, so you're going to be scratching off quite a few goals based on his lackluster defensive play and general softness.

I think JVR is much easier to replace than some people think, people forget he was on pace for his standard 28-29 goal season before he potted something like 8 in 5 irrelevant games and it made him look much better than he actually was.

We will be 100% fine without him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The whole thread is a bit on the silly side. You can never "replace" one player with another, because everyone is different, and there are so many other variables to consider. It's not a vacuum where you can make a one-to-one comparison.

I think the team will be better with Tavares and the kids coming up, Than they would be with JvR, Bozak, Komarov, and Polak.

More than JvR's offence, I'm concerned about them smoothly replacing Komarov's defence, particularly on the PK. I see that as a bigger challenge, particularly in the short term.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The whole thread is a bit on the silly side. You can never "replace" one player with another, because everyone is different, and there are so many other variables to consider. It's not a vacuum where you can make a one-to-one comparison.

I think the team will be better with Tavares and the kids coming up, Than they would be with JvR, Bozak, Komarov, and Polak.

More than JvR's offence, I'm concerned about them smoothly replacing Komarov's defence, particularly on the PK. I see that as a bigger challenge, particularly in the short term.
Ya agreed about Komarov. Who are you thinking will play the PK for forwards? Brown, Hyman, Kap and maybe Marleau to take draws on the 2nd unit?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ya agreed about Komarov. Who are you thinking will play the PK for forwards? Brown, Hyman, Kap and maybe Marleau to take draws on the 2nd unit?
That's a toughie, and why it's a concern to me. Hyman and Kap for starters, sure, and Brown for the second, but not really Marleau. Maybe Johnsson, possibly Nylander. I don't think Kadri has the mindset for it. Which leaves nobody with the faceoff ability of Komarov.

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That's a toughie, and why it's a concern to me. Hyman and Kap for starters, sure, and Brown for the second, but not really Marleau. Maybe Johnsson, possibly Nylander. I don't think Kadri has the mindset for it. Which leaves nobody with the faceoff ability of Komarov.
Ya it probably isn't worth wasting Marleau on the PK, too old for that shit.

You could even see brown and Hyman split up with each of them taking the faceoffs on each PK unit. Brown took enough fakeoffs with how much Bozak got kicked out last year.

Maybe Hyman + Kap for the first unit then Brown + Johnsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad