Can the Leafs replace JVR's goals this season?

Can the Leafs replace all of JVR's goals this season?

• Total voters

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I keep seeing people ask this. I think Tavares alone will do that. But people also bring up Bozak. So does Tavares replace Bozak or JVR? I think between Tavares, Johnsson and a full year of Kapanen, we replace JVR, Bozak and Komarov easily.

I think the majority of posters agree, but just so we don't see a million " I thought we couldn't replace JVR's goals" threads or comments next season, lets get the record straight.
How do you feel. Can the Leafs replace JVR's goals? Even strength and power play.(36)

Reactions: The Cobra

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I don't think Tavares needs to be a straight up replacement for any one guy only. He will take the roster spot from Bozak and put in goals similar to JVR, if you want to define it that way. But it's more than that.

As a whole, yes. The team will easily replace JVR's goals. I expect the offence to be as potent as last season, or even more so.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm more worried about the effect of having a sniper go to a division rival. JVR has shot on Andy every day for a few years, he knows what Andy is good at and what Andy is bad at, that knowledge will be shared with his new teammates in Philly, who in turn have friends who play on other teams that will eventually glean this info too. Every team has a book on every goalie in the league but nothing like first hand knowledge from a 35+ goal scorer.

Tavares + a healthy (cross fingers) Matthews will replace JVR's goals.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think Tavares' goals replace JVR's goals and lead to us only sheltering the 4th line. That'll lead to some more offense on another line, either Kadri's or Matthews imo.
Even strength goals, JVR had 25, Tavares had 23. Powerplay goals, JVR had 11, Tavares had 12.

Johnsson can replace Bozak's 8 even strength goals and 3 powerplay goals. (I can see him reaching 15 goals with Kadri)

Anyone can replace Komarov's goals. Komarov had 4 even strength goals and 2 powerplay goals.

So obvious answer, yes.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm more worried about the effect of having a sniper go to a division rival. JVR has shot on Andy every day for a few years, he knows what Andy is good at and what Andy is bad at, that knowledge will be shared with his new teammates in Philly, who in turn have friends who play on other teams that will eventually glean this info too. Every team has a book on every goalie in the league but nothing like first hand knowledge from a 35+ goal scorer.

Tavares + a healthy (cross fingers) Matthews will replace JVR's goals.

JVR isn’t in our division ;)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think the Leafs will be more or less the same. Voted no, because I think we were fortunate to be as healthy as we were last season. Our goal differential will increase though! :nod:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think JVR's production will be missed as much as some think. Plenty of offence now and guys who can spread it around. Plus they get scored on less with him and Bozak gone.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tavares replaces Bozak as a centre, and replaces JVR as the most productive of the team's incoming vs outgoing players. Obviously going by last season's stats, but we still boast three 30+ goalscorers, each on a different line, except now all three are Cs.

It's always best a collective, team matter when replacing players going into each new season. Hopefully we're better both offensively and defensively this season compared to last.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I think the Leafs will be more or less the same. Voted no, because I think we were fortunate to be as healthy as we were last season. Our goal differential will increase though! :nod:
i feel the same overall but i would disagree about the luck part though. i think theres a correlation between our age and injuries..outside freak kind of stuff. you dont normally see 21/22 year olds being held out for the same injuries as guys with more years in the league. i personally think most injuries are a career wear and tear type of thing where the body finally gives in.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marner, Nylander, Matthews and Kadri can all increase their ice time by 15% which is 15-20 goals. Tavares outscored Boz by 26 goals last year. Over a full season Kapy will definitely outscore Leo's 7 goals (he had 7 himself in half the games). If Johnsson gets 10:00+ TOI he will score at least 10 goals, and none of this is a reach, just better players getting more minutes. They will score more than last season, and if there is positive growth among the young guys, it could be a lot more.

Reactions: 666

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Tavares, Johnsson, Kapanen will outscore JVR, Bozak, Komarov without a doubt. Especially if you want last years totals replace. The goal totals from the 3 newer players should actually blow last years total out of the water by about 50%!!!!

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Too bad we have to. We'd be so much better off with JVR instead of Marleau.

Same goals but 10 years younger .. JVR offered the Leafs 6 X $6 mil discount to stay and that might have been a better LT decision than paying Marleau > $ 6 mil for the next 2 years.

The big question mark was those final 4 years and Leafs cap space with the 3 kids getting raises.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Tavares alone will put up Similar goal totals while being miles better defensively thus allowing less goals.

A healthy Matthews will also put up over 40 goals.

I’m excited to see what Kapanen can do in a top 9 role!

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Perfectly fine with Marleau instead of JVR. Shorter term contract and brings more to team then just goals in the short term.

He's faster then JVR
Better Defensively then JVR
Can play multiple roles for Leafs, JVR cannot
And is your vet leadership that this young Leaf team needs the next couple of season.

Money well spent!!!

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad