Prospect Info: Can the Canes find another Pesce/Slavin

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Where'do you see current defense prospects topping out at?
What's the ceiling for each?
Impossible to say. The only guy who has had his cup of coffee on the N level is going Group 6 UFA this summer.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
One thing that I finally came around to agreeing with JR on was to not use high draft choices on Dmen. Here we are talking about finding another Slavin or Pesce (our 2 best drafted and developed Dmen) who weren't taken at the top of the draft. We have also seen Murphy, Hanifin, and Fleury taken in the top 12 in the last decade and sent packing. The jury seems to be out on Bean, so that one could go either way. JR was correct in that by the time they develop in most cases, they are about at their UFA stage.

Dmen aren't as much of a voodoo as goalies, but they aren't far behind. There are some cases where there are can't miss guys that are generational talents, and still they don't often come in as instant contributors. Of course, it's also possible to swing and miss on forwards high in the draft.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
A few new names that will likely make the final pre-draft list:

Aidan Hreschuk
Jonathan Myrenberg
Jake Martin

Need to get some more details on each.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
A few new names that will likely make the final pre-draft list:

Aidan Hreschuk
Jonathan Myrenberg
Jake Martin

Need to get some more details on each.

Mentioned Jake Martin before. He's my favorite of the three that you listed. IMO he will be drafted lower than his talent likely should because he mostly played bottom-pairing USNTDP minutes on a stacked defensive group.

As far as the overager crop is concerned, I really like Vasili Machulin. Some folks will probably think of him as somewhat of a reach if he's drafted where I expect him to go, around the late 2nd round to early 3rd round, but he's got all of the physical tools, good defensive awareness, and a very nice shot.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Pass on Jake Martin for me. I can’t trust a guy with two first names.
11637608.jpg

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The final list of D-men who the PSF model likes. As Sheriff Bart notes above, the original concept was to identify prospects ranked outside the top 50, so I have excluded two players who the model identified early but who have since shot up the prospect rankings: Peart and Zellweger. Though I think taking Peart at 26 would be smart.

In any event, here is this year's list:

Aidan Hreschuk
Guillaume Richard
Ryan Ufko
Kalle Ervasti
Topias Vilen
Vladislav Lukashevich
Jake Martin
Jacob Guevin

I am not confident in the raw scores this year because of the varying number of games--you will notice the USHL is probably over-represented because the league played most of the season. Three players who were creeping up were Tyson Hinds, Ethan Samson, and Tyson Galloway.

As for value considering the Canes draft spots, my suggestions would be Vilen or Richard in the 3rd and Ervasti in the 4th. Obviously if any of these names are still around using one or two of the three 7th-round picks would be great. Hreschuk is a tough call because I don't think he makes it to the late 3rd but not sure about using the 2nd-round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00