Can someone please explain the JVR love in to me?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
we forgive JVR his other shortcomings because he has such great hands around the net. Well used too.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
No reason to love any of them. JVR at least is signed to a good contract and can when paired with different linemates change his game.

Here's the answer.

EDIT: I'd trade him in a heartbeat if it meant the team was better down the road though.

Dallas Eakins*

Several reasons:

1. He's a very good 30-30 type player
2. He's on a good contract
3. He's much more willing to battle and go to the dirty areas than his linemates
4. He's more defensively responsible than his linemates
5. His expectations are lower because we got him for a bad player vs getting Kessel for 2 firsts

JVR is very far from the problem with this team and i'm sure he'd look better if he wasnt playing with 2 guys who are constantly in their own zone

The bolded are bogus especially if number one means he is a "very good 30-30 type player" compared to other 30-30 type players? I would rather take just about any other 30 goal scorer in the league over JVR would he even be a 30 goal scorer if he cared about playing hard back checking and winning ****ing games? Methinks not.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Reilly is soft, no one's pushing him off the door. He's had a bad strech including the entire team, we can't just trade the entire team. Whether you like the team or not, they're are still some players of value here that are worth keeping.

I disagree on Rielly being soft, to me soft is running from contact and/or not using your size to your advantage. Rielly may not open ice bomb people but he is very effective at angling his opponent and getting him off the puck, also Rielly doesn't run from physical play.

As for JVR? Yea I'd say he's soft, he doesn't use his size in the corners, doesn't use it to out muscle the guy to a puck and he isn't even going to the net very much these days.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Maybe the Leafs will undervalue JVR and trade him for a Luke Schenn clone, since that worked out wonderfully for the Flyers. ;)

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Lol why do we do this to any good player we get. You judge him at his lowest point as a leaf and want to trade him. Get a terrible return and watch him thrive elsewhere. Trade him and you will regret it. I guarantee that.

Agreed, the whole team is playing it's worst hockey probably ever since starting with this core.

JVR isnt this bad, if you're an athlete you probably wouldnt be trying nearly as hard if you knew you were eliminated from the playoffs, I never blame a player for slacking off a bit during a time like this, why risk injury over nothing?

You have to judge these guys when we are actually winning and competing, and when that's happening JVR is a great piece to have at half the cost of kessel.

I dont think we need both JVR and Kessel however, while Kessel is better, they are both defensively poor but offensively better, we need to round out this team with more 200ft players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad