Can someone please explain the JVR love in to me?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Can someone please explain it to me?
Two thirds of our top line gets ripped apart daily on these boards yet this guy is held up as one of the building pieces.

He's worse offensively than Kessel, not much better than Bozak.

He's apparently bigger and tougher but I don't see it. Guy plays soft, is terrible defensively, is just as guilty of living off Kessel as anyone else and disappears for weeks at a time, but hey he has a good contract right?

I just don't get how so many see him as a building piece while ripping into everyone else?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Kessel is bringing him down right?

It's not like it's the other way around and Kessel makes him look better or anything.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I think for many people he gets love because of his potential, contract status and that hes still 'young'. Bozak gets a lot of hate, but he also has receives most of it from Kadri fans who hate Bozak unconditionally. If there were a huge younger winger that had a fan base below JVR, he would likely get more hate too.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
22 points in 46 games -10

Kessel has 21 points in 22 games with a +10

Where's the Phil love then?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
No reason to love any of them. JVR at least is signed to a good contract and can when paired with different linemates change his game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Two thirds of our top line gets ripped apart daily on these boards yet this guy is held up as one of the building pieces.

He's worse offensively than Kessel, not much better than Bozak.

He's apparently bigger and tougher but I don't see it. Guy plays soft, is terrible defensively, is just as guilty of living off Kessel as anyone else and disappears for weeks at a time, but hey he has a good contract right?

I just don't get how so many see him as a building piece while ripping into everyone else?

My thoughts exactly! He appears to be just as lazy as anyone, doesn't use he big frame for anything useful, disappears offensively, and, mostly fails defensively too!

He scores the odd highlight reel goal, and, he is on a good contract, that's all I see! If we could garner a high 1st round pick and a prospect, I'd trade him without blinking twice.

JMHO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
His age and contract with his contributions makes him very valuable. You can rebuild with him in the lineup easily because of that.

He's had tough year though, there's no denying that.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
he makes half as much as kessel yet provides the same amount of crappy play, that's why I give him a pass. If Clarkson made half as much as he does today I'm sure he would get a pretty decent pass too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Kessel (age 27) .. 57 games 21 goals 26 assists 47 points @ $8 mil cap
verses
JVR (age 25) ...... 57 games 21 goals 22 assists 43 points @ $4.25 mil cap

Similar production at nearly 1/2 the Cap cost, which in team building terms you can have nearly 2 X JVR level players & cap for 1 Kessel.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
His age and contract with his contributions makes him very valuable. You can rebuild with him in the lineup easily because of that.

He's had tough year though, there's no denying that.

What is it he brings though?
If you put him on another line, does he become a 40 point guy?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I would argue that Bozaks contract is just as good. And for what Kessel brings year in and year out, his contract is just as good.

With JVR you always expect he will break out like Nash has done this year. With Bozak you will just be happy if he can sustain the current play.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I could not come up with a good reason to keep him around that couldn't be countered on a trade him discussion. He is as much to blame in the compete area as anyone.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Kessel (age 27) .. 57 games 21 goals 26 assists 47 points @ $8 mil cap
verses
JVR (age 25) ...... 57 games 21 goals 22 assists 43 points @ $4.25 mil cap

Similar production at nearly 1/2 the Cap cost, which in team building terms you can have nearly 2 X JVR level players & cap for 1 Kessel.
Similar in what way? You're the master at manipulating stats and saying nothing. What's his ppg in the last three years vs Bozaks and Kessel's? It's funny that Kessel at his absolute worst apparently is still better than building block JVR who brings nothing else to the table.

Are you also a big proponent of Bozaks then? Very similar stats for similar contracts and Bozak also brings face offs and penalty kills.

JVR is arguably the worst floater on that line, is terrible defensively and offensively worse than Kessel at his absolute worst. Much worse still in my opinion is that he has the size to be something special yet is arguably the softest player on the line.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
With JVR you always expect he will break out like Nash has done this year. With Bozak you will just be happy if he can sustain the current play.

Finally an argument with substance! I can see that, but with Nash the compete always seemed to be there, he just never seemed to put it all together. He's good now, but I don't think he's anywhere near what people thought he could be.
With JVR it just always seems like he's not trying,

I just find it funny that both Kessel and Bozak get so much hate yet both arguably bring more to the table nightly than he does.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
JVR rides Kessels coat tails but gets half the money so it's cool. I love how he's being compared to and then given a pass by some to the guy that has made him look good.

Comical

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Because he has good production and doesn't make near as much. It's that simple. If he made 6.5-7 mill, he'd be hearing it too. Kessel is paid like a superstar and is under performing so gets ripped apart. Remember other guys like McCabe? Once guys make that much they become the easiest target because more is expected out of them. Bozak is also overpaid and only our number 1 by default. JVR has almost as much production as Kessel but makes 3.5 mill less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad