Can Crosby get to 2,000 career points?

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I don't think he'll age like a normal player. He's The Next Next One, after all. 9 seasons, ~750 points. Something like this:

18-19: 105
19-20: 95
20-21: 95
21-22: 85
22-23: 80
23-24: 90 (surprising bounce back)
24-25: 75
25-26: 70
26-27: 55

By the 2020's he'll no longer be a Top-5 player in this league, but I can see him play on a elite-level late in his 30's like Sakic. Injuries might ruin everything (again), but yeah, he could get close to the 2,000 point mark.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He's already on the decline. It looks as if he's going through the motions.

lol he's not on the decline. Did you see him in playoffs last year? He's absolutely still the best player in the world. And if you don't think that - well at least he's #2 or 3 at most. No decline yet.

He's having a pretty bad start (though still has 5 points in 6 games). I think short of McDavid - he's the last player in the whole NHL you want to call off after a bad start. He's going to have a good season - as he has every year he's been in the league.

As for 2000 points....i highly doubt it. Somehow I could see Crosby playing until very old, past 40, and remaining a consistent producer - but that's super unlikely. he has some serious injury history and might decide to retire earlier. He should be good for around 1700-1800 points easy i'd guess tho.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Last year was is worst career PDO (and worst on ice shooting percentage), this year he has an very high 103 one.

Is last 4 year's were the 4 worst Crosby on ice shooting percentage in is career, this year is back to an above average career wise, I imagine he could still be on a decline even if he sustain that point per game jump back, there is a league wise scoring increase and him personally out of that "bad luck".

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If he hadn't been injured for most of his peak this would be a much better question

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Had he had Ovechkin health in his 20s he would be what at around 1300 points? Then I would have said it would be possible. But no he’s going to put up like sakic numbers. My guess around 600 goals 1000 assists.

That 1000 assist mark is something he should really try and hit. Very rare feat.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
It depends how much effort he puts into his rs play. He still has 100 point art ross potential.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Don't even see 1700. He'll have to face the choice of sticking around longer as a still good player, but not elite anymore and take a serious risk concerning his longterm health and retiring. He'll retire. He'll stay until 37-38, but once he feels he's not that great anymore, I think he'll retire. He still has 40-50, perhaps 60 if he's lucky, years to live after hockey. Better be prudent about these. Can't blame him if he makes that choice.

It's really hard to say how long he'll play. He loves the game and I actually think he'd enjoy playing more of a two-way grinder type game as he gets older.

I think he'll try to play until at least 40 unless his injuries get too bad.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
As a Penguin fan I love Sid. But he is not Lemieux. What I mean by that is you could throw Mario out there today at 50+ years old and be would still get points each night. Sid doesn’t have that kind of game. He is a grinder, a speed guy, and a deflector. All of those things you can’t do when you are older. Sid will lose speed when he gets older. His body will not be able to grind on the walls like he does now. Once he starts to decline it will be a big decline. The Penguins will do right by him and keep him as long as he wants to stay but I can see him calling it quits once the decline starts.

Reactions: Casanova

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Had he had Ovechkin health in his 20s he would be what at around 1300 points? Then I would have said it would be possible. But no he’s going to put up like sakic numbers. My guess around 600 goals 1000 assists.

That 1000 assist mark is something he should really try and hit. Very rare feat.
He missed around 200 games in a point of his career where he was scoring at ~1.5 PPG. So, yes, without the injuries, I think 2000 points would be almost a given.

Reactions: drs151

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't understand those that think Crosby will retire early. He seems like the type to live and breathe hockey, and someone who needs a competitive outlet. 2000 points would be really tough, but I think Sid sticks around for as long as his body lets him.

Reactions: Howard Beale

The Lucky Pucks

Apr 29, 2017
As a Penguin fan I love Sid. But he is not Lemieux. What I mean by that is you could throw Mario out there today at 50+ years old and be would still get points each night. Sid doesn’t have that kind of game. He is a grinder, a speed guy, and a deflector. All of those things you can’t do when you are older. Sid will lose speed when he gets older. His body will not be able to grind on the walls like he does now. Once he starts to decline it will be a big decline. The Penguins will do right by him and keep him as long as he wants to stay but I can see him calling it quits once the decline starts.
The lemieux comment, youre joking right

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If I had to guess I would say 1600-1700 is probably about what he'll finish with. He's definitely not in his prime anymore, but scoring has also been up leaguewide recently so that plays to his advantage. I think he's probably got 2-3 seasons left where he can get 90-100 points if he stays healthy, and i bet he'll hang around long enough after that to pick up another couple hundred points over the last phase of his career (maybe like 3 or 4 60 point seasons?).

It's hard to predict the future, but I have a feeling Sid will probably retire after his current contract expires. He has won every award worth winning at least once, and the cup 3 times already. He's not a player like Thornton or Iginla who will be approaching 40 with something left to prove. I don't think he'd hang around just to get to 2000 the hard way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad