Speculation: Can a deal be made for Jacob Trouba?

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Jacob Trouba and the Jets are not close on a new contract, and his main concern is how he will be used. He's a right handed, playmaking defenseman who is a local boy, and would easily be a number 1-2 with the Wings. Seems like a really good fit.

Do you think there is a deal that can be made for Trouba? Without trading Larkin or Mrazek or DDK?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Jacob Trouba and the Jets are not close on a new contract, and his main concern is how he will be used. He's a right handed, playmaking defenseman who is a local boy, and would easily be a number 1-2 with the Wings. Seems like a really good fit.

Do you think there is a deal that can be made for Trouba? Without trading Larkin or Mrazek or DDK?

No.

(The message you have entered is too short)

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Normally I'd say no, but then players like Hamilton get moved for a 1st and two 2nds. Either way, a bunch of salary has to be going back the other way since the Red Wings are already over the cap.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
There is nothing we have to offer them that they'd want for him, certainly not without including one of our only pieces with actual value. Even if he demanded a trade, other teams could and would offer more.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Holland doesn't seem interested in making a trade for a long-term defenseman. I think we have the pieces to offer, but I believe Holland thinks the team is good enough and would rather make a deal for an older veteran rental at the deadline.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We don't have the pieces to offer. Winnipeg wants an equivalent type D that isn't Trouba. Wings don't have that. They might be able to swing Larkin+ because it would be such great value that the Jets couldn't pass it up, but anything approaching actual value? We got nothing that won't get overbid in a second.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Holland doesn't seem interested in making a trade for a long-term defenseman. I think we have the pieces to offer, but I believe Holland thinks the team is good enough and would rather make a deal for an older veteran rental at the deadline.

What offer would you put forth for Trouba?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would offer anything minus Larkin and Mrazek.

Everyone else is available. Nyquist, Mantha, Tatar, AA, etc...

There are always tons of wingers available during FA. Just sign them until you draft some good wingers.

Unfortunately Ken Holland is the DRW GM, so it's never gonna happen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We don't have the pieces to offer. Winnipeg wants an equivalent type D that isn't Trouba. Wings don't have that. They might be able to swing Larkin+ because it would be such great value that the Jets couldn't pass it up, but anything approaching actual value? We got nothing that won't get overbid in a second.

What Winnipeg fans claim it will take and what the Jets would have to take are two different things. If they get to the point of dealing him, they aren't going to get his equivalent back unless they are taking back a problem case from whatever team they're dealing with. I know Jets fans will point to the Hall-Larsson swap, but everyone pretty much agrees that Edmonton got hosed a fair deal on it.

Eyeballing their team, and they don't seem to get much production from the wings (outside of Wheeler, of course - their majority of their production up front seems to come from their centers), so I'm guessing a deal starts there with Nyquist. Add Brendan Smith because we need to dump more salary for Trouba, and he'd probably instantly be their second best left handed D. Then some prospects on either side to even it out.

It just has to get to the point where Winnipeg either doesn't want to pay him or doesn't want him around.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It just has to get to the point where Winnipeg either doesn't want to pay him or doesn't want him around.

If that's true, I still don't think we'd be able to make the highest offer. Hamilton was unique, given that Boston's GM didn't, apparently, bother shopping him around at all. I don't think that's a situation that you can count on happening again, especially after seeing what Larsson brought back.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If that's true, I still don't think we'd be able to make the highest offer. Hamilton was unique, given that Boston's GM didn't, apparently, bother shopping him around at all. I don't think that's a situation that you can count on happening again, especially after seeing what Larsson brought back.

It depends what Winnipeg is looking for and what their goals are for this season. If they are contending in the west but need help on the wings, we can help there in spades, possibly even dealing off a couple of pieces that would give the Jets a very nice look up front.

If Winnipeg is dead set on getting a top3 left D back, we're out in the wind a bit unless we want to deal Dekeyser (I doubt it, but maybe for Trouba if there isn't much else in the package).

Also, their GM might just like our guys more than the guys from another team. A lot would come down to just the GM's personal preference.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I would be totally shocked if Chevy were to trade Trouba to Detroit without Larkin or DeKeyser going the other way. Pretty sure that any deal for Trouba would involve Larkin and he would be a non starter.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It depends what Winnipeg is looking for and what their goals are for this season. If they are contending in the west but need help on the wings, we can help there in spades, possibly even dealing off a couple of pieces that would give the Jets a very nice look up front.

If Winnipeg is dead set on getting a top3 left D back, we're out in the wind a bit unless we want to deal Dekeyser (I doubt it, but maybe for Trouba if there isn't much else in the package).

Also, their GM might just like our guys more than the guys from another team. A lot would come down to just the GM's personal preference.

If they're contending, I have to imagine their top level wings are more than up to the task. I don't think Tatar/Nyquist add anything to that team that would be worth losing a solid D with potential. I don't think there's any way they take back salary equivalent to Trouba's ultimate ask, or they'd have just given it to him. I don't think our draft picks or prospects are incentive enough, given their farm. I just don't think we're in the top 15 of the best trade partners with Winnipeg, right now. Anaheim? Sure (assuming we didn't need to send back salary).

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
There's no way this happens. Firstly Winnipeg has no needs that our roster can address. If they were to trade Trouba they'd want a D in return. Our GM is about as risk-evasive as they come and we can't afford to move a glut of picks and prospects because not only is our team up against the salary cap and in desperate need of ELCs but it also has at most a third of a core (that third being very unproven).

Fear

Nov 17, 2014

There are always tons of wingers available during FA. Just sign them until you draft some good wingers.

Unfortunately this is one of the reasons Winnipeg won't do it.

They're also stacked in the forward position in terms of youth, prospects and depth. (Scheifele is already close to a top-line C, Laine will likely be a top-line winger, Ehlers and Connor have very high ceilings, they have lots of depth prospects, and the established players like Wheeler and Little are not too old.)

The one position they lack in is LD, so that's the only kind of player I think they trade Trouba for (unless someone overpays).

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
What Winnipeg fans claim it will take and what the Jets would have to take are two different things. If they get to the point of dealing him, they aren't going to get his equivalent back unless they are taking back a problem case from whatever team they're dealing with. I know Jets fans will point to the Hall-Larsson swap, but everyone pretty much agrees that Edmonton got hosed a fair deal on it.

Eyeballing their team, and they don't seem to get much production from the wings (outside of Wheeler, of course - their majority of their production up front seems to come from their centers), so I'm guessing a deal starts there with Nyquist. Add Brendan Smith because we need to dump more salary for Trouba, and he'd probably instantly be their second best left handed D. Then some prospects on either side to even it out.

The Jets don't need any forwards, like at all, FYI.

Forwards they are graduating this year include the just-turned age-18 MVP of the men's World Hockey Championships:

and the freshman that led all NCAA scorers last season:

Given their top-shelf slate of prospects, picks and prospects are also of little/no interest.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think a deal can be made for Trouba, but I don't think the wings can be the team to do it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

No matter what who is our GM, that trade doesn't happen if it doesn't include Larkin or Mrazek.

And Winnipeg doesn't need either.

Trouba trades does not work straight with us, it could work only as a three-way.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Jets don't need any forwards, like at all, FYI.

Forwards they are graduating this year include the just-turned age-18 MVP of the men's World Hockey Championships:

and the freshman that led all NCAA scorers last season:

Given their top-shelf slate of prospects, picks and prospects are also of little/no interest.

Those guy's will (maybe) be consistently productive for them in 2-3 years. At that point Buff might play himself off the top pairing and they'll have a space to move Trouba up. I'm sure he won't mind waiting.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Those guy's will (maybe) be consistently productive for them in 2-3 years. At that point Buff might play himself off the top pairing and they'll have a space to move Trouba up. I'm sure he won't mind waiting.

LOL.

Scroll down to career highlights:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221667

At age-17 Laine led his men's team to a Finnish Elite League Championship, and followed that a few weeks later by being named the Best Forward and also the MVP of the men's WHC - as a kid just turning age-18.
Here is a list of the players he beat out for MVP (hint: all of them):
http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/statistics/#players

He will contribute, consistently, this season, book it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think Laine is gonna be legit as **** this season, dude has "it" and I think he will be the best player in the draft. Winnipeg has no need for our wares, DDK is the best non-Larkin/Mrazek thing we have to offer them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad