Speculation: Can a deal be made for Jacob Trouba?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
LOL.

Scroll down to career highlights:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221667

At age-17 Laine led his men's team to a Finnish Elite League Championship, and followed that a few weeks later by being named the Best Forward and also the MVP of the men's WHC - as a kid just turning age-18.
Here is a list of the players he beat out for MVP (hint: all of them):
http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/statistics/#players

He will contribute, consistently, this season, book it.

yeah, and then disappear when the games matter. Laugh all you want, winning in the NHL playoffs doesn't go hand in hand with playing a bunch of kids in big spots. Less so when a club is without a wealth of playoff experience as a whole anyway.

Nothing prepares these kids for 80 regular season NHL games and then the playoff grind. Believe what you want now, find out about reality in about 8 months when LA/SJ/Chicago/St. Louis grinds them into a pulp in five games.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Trouiba trade

Det doesn't have what Wpg. needs/wants, but Ana does.

3 teams-3 needs-3 solutions.

Ana needs a top 6 forward

Wpg needs a LHD

Det needs a RHD

To Ana: Nyquist + Jurco/ RFA Pulks

To Wpg: Fowler + Det 2017 1st(top 5 protected)

To Det. Trouba

If Det needs to add, available assets include anybody not named Larkin, Mrazek, Mantha, AA and DDK. Most likely add would be Saarijarvi.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I would offer anything minus Larkin and Mrazek.

Everyone else is available. Nyquist, Mantha, Tatar, AA, etc...

There are always tons of wingers available during FA. Just sign them until you draft some good wingers.

Unfortunately Ken Holland is the DRW GM, so it's never gonna happen.

Winnipeg doesn't need wingers.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Jacob Trouba and the Jets are not close on a new contract, and his main concern is how he will be used. He's a right handed, playmaking defenseman who is a local boy, and would easily be a number 1-2 with the Wings. Seems like a really good fit.

Do you think there is a deal that can be made for Trouba? Without trading Larkin or Mrazek or DDK?

Would love him but there's no way a deal gets done. We don't trade roster players and the return for Trouba would easily be outside what we could offer. For the record I'd gladly trade Larkin for Trouba, that's just never going to happen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Winnipeg doesn't need wingers.

I still think that depends what they think their window is. Buff and Enstrom are on the wrong side of 30. Wheeler turns thirty at the end of this month. Little and Perreault will be 29 before this season is over.

I doubt Winnipeg wants to deal him in conference, or especially in division, so Edmonton is out. In the East...who has a top3 LD or a top2 center to spare? Maybe Buffalo, I guess? But dealing Trouba makes that defense look even closer to going off a cliff.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think Laine is gonna be legit as **** this season, dude has "it" and I think he will be the best player in the draft. Winnipeg has no need for our wares, DDK is the best non-Larkin/Mrazek thing we have to offer them.

DDK + Tatar <--> Trouba.

I mean the whole discussion is a little moot.
WPG would prefer to just resign Trouba. If they can't that means he is just an arse who wants money, and then we have a 7.5Mil D man who isnt worth it. So no matter what we lose.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I still think that depends what they think their window is. Buff and Enstrom are on the wrong side of 30. Wheeler turns thirty at the end of this month. Little and Perreault will be 29 before this season is over.

I doubt Winnipeg wants to deal him in conference, or especially in division, so Edmonton is out. In the East...who has a top3 LD or a top2 center to spare? Maybe Buffalo, I guess? But dealing Trouba makes that defense look even closer to going off a cliff.

Enstrom will be gone soon enough, and BTW, the Jets iced the youngest roster in the NHL toward the end of last year, FYI.

On one hand you suggest they are getting old, yet on the other you suggest they would deal a 22 y/o RHD? That makes no sense. Why deal the young guy? Answer: you don't.

They won't be trading him unless the agent tries to force a trade.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
yeah, and then disappear when the games matter. Laugh all you want, winning in the NHL playoffs doesn't go hand in hand with playing a bunch of kids in big spots. Less so when a club is without a wealth of playoff experience as a whole anyway.

Nothing prepares these kids for 80 regular season NHL games and then the playoff grind. Believe what you want now, find out about reality in about 8 months when LA/SJ/Chicago/St. Louis grinds them into a pulp in five games.

Really? Patrik Laine at age-17 last year played a full season in the Finnish Elite League (against men) and excelled, and played the full slate of his league playoff games as well (playoff MVP). He also played in the WJC just after Christmas, and after leading his team to a men's league playoff title, he then played in the World Hockey Championships (MVP). He played something like 105 games last season IIRC, the vast majority of them against men (vs. the overwhelming majority of kids his age that solely play against their age-similar peer group). He is the very embodiment of a kid that is prepared to play the full grind of an NHL season - counter to your assertion otherwise.

Your entire premise is flawed, really. The Jets will dress three forwards that are listed on their roster at 6' 5" (Lowry, Wheeler, Laine), another is 6'4" (Matthias), and they have two behemoths on D (Byfuglien, Myers). No one will be grinding them into a pulp.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Wpg needs a LHD

Det needs a RHD

To Det. Trouba

If Det needs to add, available assets include anybody not named Larkin, Mrazek, Mantha, AA and DDK. Most likely add would be Saarijarvi.

Yeah doing a 3-way like this is pretty much the only way that i see how we could acquire Trouba. And i still doubt that we would be able to obtain him.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Yeah doing a 3-way like this is pretty much the only way that i see how we could acquire Trouba. And i still doubt that we would be able to obtain him.

I think you are correct. Trading for Fowler isn't really all that appealing for Winnipeg given that they already have Josh Morrissey now ready and expected to graduate into an LHD slot this season - who is also a similar-style of player and was taken in a similar draft slot.
http://jets.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8477504
Morrissey's skating/ footwork is unbelievably strong. The draft pick in the proposal is also of little interest to a team that is already stacked with prospects as it is.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013

Wpg needs a LHD

Det needs a RHD

To Det. Trouba

I think we need to add, and then that is a fair deal for everyone. I think we add a second too to Winnipeg, or maybe a guy like XO/Sproul/Jensen/Frk.

WPG gets a still very talented d-man on the side they need, a first round pick, and a second or another prospect. Anaheim gets their scoring winger to add to their top 6. Detroit gets a RHD with some size and potential to be a #1 (I don't think he's there yet).

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I think we need to add, and then that is a fair deal for everyone. I think we add a second too to Winnipeg, or maybe a guy like XO/Sproul/Jensen/Frk.

WPG gets a still very talented d-man on the side they need, a first round pick, and a second or another prospect. Anaheim gets their scoring winger to add to their top 6. Detroit gets a RHD with some size and potential to be a #1 (I don't think he's there yet).

Winnipeg already has a Fowler-type in-house with Josh Morrissey. The adds are of no interest to Winnipeg; they aren't rebuilding. They've conversely been building - drafting and developing for the past five years; futures are of no interest to a team loaded with them and already with a need to make room to graduate some. If the Jets ever needed to trade Trouba, they will likely move for a Ristolainen or a Lindholm-type; no need to involve a third team.

You guys need to look at the Jets in these terms:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-window-opportunity-opening-sooner-later/

Keep your futures and picks, forwards, goalies, etc.; they don't need any.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Enstrom will be gone soon enough, and BTW, the Jets iced the youngest roster in the NHL toward the end of last year, FYI.

On one hand you suggest they are getting old, yet on the other you suggest they would deal a 22 y/o RHD? That makes no sense. Why deal the young guy? Answer: you don't.

They won't be trading him unless the agent tries to force a trade.

Really? Patrik Laine at age-17 last year played a full season in the Finnish Elite League (against men) and excelled, and played the full slate of his league playoff games as well (playoff MVP). He also played in the WJC just after Christmas, and after leading his team to a men's league playoff title, he then played in the World Hockey Championships (MVP). He played something like 105 games last season IIRC, the vast majority of them against men (vs. the overwhelming majority of kids his age that solely play against their age-similar peer group). He is the very embodiment of a kid that is prepared to play the full grind of an NHL season - counter to your assertion otherwise.

Your entire premise is flawed, really. The Jets will dress three forwards that are listed on their roster at 6' 5" (Lowry, Wheeler, Laine), another is 6'4" (Matthias), and they have two behemoths on D (Byfuglien, Myers). No one will be grinding them into a pulp.

If I was the Jets, I wouldn't trade Trouba, either. My assumption has been that the impetus for a trade would be from Trouba end more than management. I thought this was the assumption all along.

And, yeah, the size of those guys and where Laine played last year doesn't really matter. We've seen this for years, where kids come over and it's a learning process to not only play well in the regular season but to continue to play well in the playoffs. And some guys never make that transition, for whatever reason. You can talk about how this or that guy played in Europe all you want, we've seen the adjustment to the NHL - from nearly every league - be tough on kids, twice as difficult when the playoffs hit.

I'm not saying the kids can't be good, but it will almost certainly take them at least a playoff run or two before you can have faith in them bringing it in the postseason. After those two years, will Buff, Wheeler, etc. still be good enough to hold up their end of the bargain? Who knows, but old age comes early for NHLers.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I'm not calling for them to win a cup anytime soon. What I am essentially saying is that they are now fully loaded going forward, and as such don't need to downgrade from Trouba to a Fowler (especially when they already own a facsimile)... and accept a bunch of stuff that they've no need for in any trade return. They have enough ammo in their bank that their ideas conversely are more likely to be to seek an upgrade from him if possible, if need-be, toward a Lindholm-type.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Winnipeg already has a Fowler-type in-house with Josh Morrissey. The adds are of no interest to Winnipeg; they aren't rebuilding. They've conversely been building - drafting and developing for the past five years; futures are of no interest to a team loaded with them and already with a need to make room to graduate some. If the Jets ever needed to trade Trouba, they will likely move for a Ristolainen or a Lindholm-type; no need to involve a third team.

You guys need to look at the Jets in these terms:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-window-opportunity-opening-sooner-later/

Keep your futures and picks, forwards, goalies, etc.; they don't need any.

We don't have what it takes really in terms of a realistic trade to land Trouba. But just FYI prepare to be disappointed if you think he can return Risolainen or Lindholm. For the record right now Cam Fowler is an upgrade over both the guys you're touting on the Jets, because he is a better hockey player.

I get the confidence in a lot of the young pieces up there, but you do have needs. Teams don't finish bottom five in the league without that being the case, injuries or not. They might be promising, but there is pretty good evidence that Winnipeg has several holes still in that lineup.

Unfortunately we have the same realities in Detroit. See our D, it turns out all of your prospects don't hit. The chances that Morrissey and Trouba pan out better than Fowler actually aren't great. Trouba might, but again he actually need ice time he won't get in Winnipeg so that runs counterproductive to him staying and proving that. Also not surprisingly something his team seems to have picked up on, one of him or Myers needs to go and it looks like Trouba wants it to be himself at some point in the future if rumors are to be believed.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We don't have what it takes really in terms of a realistic trade to land Trouba. But just FYI prepare to be disappointed if you think he can return Risolainen or Lindholm. For the record right now Cam Fowler is an upgrade over both the guys you're touting on the Jets, because he is a better hockey player.

I get the confidence in a lot of the young pieces up there, but you do have needs. Teams don't finish bottom five in the league without that being the case, injuries or not. They might be promising, but there is pretty good evidence that Winnipeg has several holes still in that lineup.

Unfortunately we have the same realities in Detroit. See our D, it turns out all of your prospects don't hit. The chances that Morrissey and Trouba pan out better than Fowler actually aren't great. Trouba might, but again he actually need ice time he won't get in Winnipeg so that runs counterproductive to him staying and proving that. Also not surprisingly something his team seems to have picked up on, one of him or Myers needs to go and it looks like Trouba wants it to be himself at some point in the future if rumors are to be believed.

If they can get Trouba to buy in, I'd try to hold off on trading any D for a couple of years and then try to move Buff. Myers and Trouba could become their right side anchors in their top4, and are young enough to grow with the other younger guys on that club.

The ages of Buff and some of their forwards puts them in an awkward middle ground to me. When kids like Laine and Trouba are likely to really be hitting their stride, those older vets could easily be hitting the downward slope of their careers. Maybe they'll pull a Boston and have a year of two of contention before the older guys start falling apart like Chara did on the Bruins.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Question.. I have not seen Trouba play at all, is he a true #1 or 2 which the Wings need, right now, or does he have massive potential? Just asking. I see in this thread that most fans say the Wings can't afford him asset wise. Would he improve the Wings enough next season to pay the price that would be required or does he have some more things to shore up? Thanks.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Can a deal be made for Trouba? Yes.

Should a deal be made for Trouba? No.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Like mentioned above, there would have to be a third time involved with a LHD that Winnpeg wants. And like mentioned above Anaheim would be perfect, its just finding the right pieces.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Question.. I have not seen Trouba play at all, is he a true #1 or 2 which the Wings need, right now, or does he have massive potential? Just asking. I see in this thread that most fans say the Wings can't afford him asset wise. Would he improve the Wings enough next season to pay the price that would be required or does he have some more things to shore up? Thanks.

I don't think the concern is whether he would improve the team next season. But his age/potential fits right into a Larkin/Mrazek future, and whatever you tihnk of him right now, I think he certainly has the potential to play on the top pairing and actually belong there.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Can it? Yes

Will it? Nope

Why can't Holland just force Jets management to take Nyquist plus salary dump like some DRWs fans proclaim it will take to get the deal done????

On a serious note, I don't want KH to trade Dekeyser+ for Trouba. I like Dekeyser's contract and sounds like Trouba wants to get paid.

There's no "reasonable" deal to be done here.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

He'd easily be our best skater. He fills a need Ken Holland hasn't been able to address for going on 7 years as a RHD who can play on your top pairing and generate 50ish points per year. He's physical and can play a shut down role. He has the potential to be a Ryan Suter level player.

It's a moot point as there's no way he gets traded. They are just arguing over the details before coming to an agreement.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
He'd easily be our best skater. He fills a need Ken Holland hasn't been able to address for going on 7 years as a RHD who can play on your top pairing and generate 50ish points per year. He's physical and can play a shut down role. He has the potential to be a Ryan Suter level player.

It's a moot point as there's no way he gets traded. They are just arguing over the details before coming to an agreement.

Thanks. So you think 50ish points? Is he really that offensive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad