Speculation: Can a deal be made for Jacob Trouba?

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I don't think the concern is whether he would improve the team next season. But his age/potential fits right into a Larkin/Mrazek future, and whatever you tihnk of him right now, I think he certainly has the potential to play on the top pairing and actually belong there.

I don't actually have an opinion of him. I have not seen him play. I am just wondering if the hype he gets matches the potential some on this thread and other threads think.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Thanks. So you think 50ish points? Is he really that offensive?

I mean I think he's capable of it, he's paced over 30 before but he's never actually hit it, last year his point totals were kinda sad out of context but you can expect more I'd say. Idk if I'd bet money on him hitting 50 in the next 2 seasons, though, kinda depends on his team/role.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Trouba would be great, but I think the asking price is just going to be too high.

Cam Fowler or maybe Ryan Ellis seem like more realistic options.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I mean I think he's capable of it, he's paced over 30 before but he's never actually hit it, last year his point totals were kinda sad out of context but you can expect more I'd say. Idk if I'd bet money on him hitting 50 in the next 2 seasons, though, kinda depends on his team/role.

Ok thanks. I shall do my best to watch him next season to see.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Think of the hole which you would have if you lost Larkin. Arguably two of the hardest positions to find a young stud in: C and RHD. That should tell you how willing the Jets are to move Trouba.

Trouba fills our needs so unbelievably well that there's nothing to gain from trading him. He's the one who will take over when Buff starts to lose his step. He's the one who plays the hard minutes, both with the worst teammates and against tougher opposition. If you take him away, we don't have a replacement for him. We'd turn out to be just like you are now in a couple of years.

The Nyquist+Smith+stuff offer is insulting, as it fills absolutely zero needs of ours. On the other hand, someone said that we aren't getting Ristolainen or Lindholm. That is exactly why we won't win if we trade Trouba: the only way we could ever benefit from trading him would be if we upgraded him.

So, to sum it up, the Red Wings don't have the assets which they would give up, and the Jets aren't willing to trade Trouba.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Think of the hole which you would have if you lost Larkin. Arguably two of the hardest positions to find a young stud in: C and RHD. That should tell you how willing the Jets are to move Trouba.

Trouba fills our needs so unbelievably well that there's nothing to gain from trading him. He's the one who will take over when Buff starts to lose his step. He's the one who plays the hard minutes, both with the worst teammates and against tougher opposition. If you take him away, we don't have a replacement for him. We'd turn out to be just like you are now in a couple of years.

The Nyquist+Smith+stuff offer is insulting, as it fills absolutely zero needs of ours. On the other hand, someone said that we aren't getting Ristolainen or Lindholm. That is exactly why we won't win if we trade Trouba: the only way we could ever benefit from trading him would be if we upgraded him.

So, to sum it up, the Red Wings don't have the assets which they would give up, and the Jets aren't willing to trade Trouba.

I don't think you understand. The Red Wings are the main characters, and the Jets are just NPCs. If we want one of your players, you're gonna have to give him up. Sorry.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not calling for them to win a cup anytime soon. What I am essentially saying is that they are now fully loaded going forward, and as such don't need to downgrade from Trouba to a Fowler (especially when they already own a facsimile)... and accept a bunch of stuff that they've no need for in any trade return. They have enough ammo in their bank that their ideas conversely are more likely to be to seek an upgrade from him if possible, if need-be, toward a Lindholm-type.

fair enough. I was looking at it as something Trouba essentially forced and Winnipeg looking for pieces to fill in what gaps they could right now. Good luck this season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Trouba would be great, but I think the asking price is just going to be too high.

Cam Fowler or maybe Ryan Ellis seem like more realistic options.

Even the "realistic" options feel impossible at this point, though.

I feel like it's going to take a general manager giving Holland the perfect deal for something like that to get done. Like the Hamilton for draft picks only trade.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Thanks. So you think 50ish points? Is he really that offensive?

He doesn't get enough PP time to rack up the points. His main issue with the contract he is being offered is due to it being predicated on his production playing alongside Mark Stuart. When he gets paired with Byfuglein and Myers his corsi stats shoot up dramatically. Unfortunately most of his IT is alongside Stuart.

He'll easily be 40ish point d-man when he gets a better partner and in Detroit I see him easily hitting 50 points. It's a pipe dream though, the Jets have no reason to trade him. They will eventually get a deal done.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I'm always bemused by these opinions regarding Trouba's offensive upside. He had a big year on a bad Michigan team (which was bad in part because of his defensive play that, being kind, was rather spotty), but other than that he's pretty much put up Dekeyser-like offensive numbers at ES (actually a bit worse than Dekeyser)... and I wouldn't say much for Dekeyser's offensive ability.

And people are talking like they'd move this good player and that good player plus a good pick for him? Nah. Pass. If I'm trying to improve offensively and I'm willing to move a lot of youth to get there, I'd need to focus on a guy who's actually got an obviously + offensive game at the NHL level.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I agree I've never really seen an upper level offensive element to Trouba's game at the NHL level

Admittedly, I don't watch 82 Jets games a year, but from what I've seen I always feel a little underwhelmed based on his pedigree and hype

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think you understand. The Red Wings are the main characters, and the Jets are just NPCs. If we want one of your players, you're gonna have to give him up. Sorry.

Shouldn't the Wings just be able to walk in and acquire him then? Talk to him and he'll join up? Maybe they get given some fetch quest to get an item they don't already have in exchange?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Shouldn't the Wings just be able to walk in and acquire him then? Talk to him and he'll join up? Maybe they get given some fetch quest to get an item they don't already have in exchange?

No man the difficulty is on Hard so you at least have to mash the buttons for a while before getting something that works.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'm always bemused by these opinions regarding Trouba's offensive upside. He had a big year on a bad Michigan team (which was bad in part because of his defensive play that, being kind, was rather spotty), but other than that he's pretty much put up Dekeyser-like offensive numbers at ES (actually a bit worse than Dekeyser)... and I wouldn't say much for Dekeyser's offensive ability.

And people are talking like they'd move this good player and that good player plus a good pick for him? Nah. Pass. If I'm trying to improve offensively and I'm willing to move a lot of youth to get there, I'd need to focus on a guy who's actually got an obviously + offensive game at the NHL level.

Professional opinions ie. NHL pro scouts find his game just as polarizing:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/offer-sheet-not-jacob-troubas-ceiling/

“He’s a young guy who skates real well, has good size, and can be physical in today’s game. I overrated him at first. But the more viewings I had of him, he wasn’t making the right decision under pressure. Just a lot of ‘deer in the headlights’ moments.â€

“For sure I’d say no,†said a Western Conference scout when I asked him if he projected Trouba as a No. 1. “Not unless he gets a lot smarter.â€

“He has a lot of the tools there,†said our Western scout, “but he needs to have better hockey sense. It’s just not there for me.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Trouba (and If I were a Jets fan, I would want to keep him around) but I think its fair to say he can be a little overrated on this forum.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

I agree with you completely HD. I wouldn't give up what some posters here would for Trouba.
He hasn't proved enough at the NHL level to warrant giving up roster players and a pick. He is young and could improve in the right situation though. I would rather try a guy like Russo or Sproul if they have a good camp and see what they could provide. Russo put up some nice numbers at Notre Dame, especially in his Sr. season (41 points) playing for Jeff Jackson who likes to have defensively responsible players. I'm a big fan of Russo I thought he looked really good in training camp in T.C.(small sample size) I know.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Trouba (and If I were a Jets fan, I would want to keep him around) but I think its fair to say he can be a little overrated on this forum.

Totally agree. Right now Trouba's a legit #3. That's even probably where he'd play in Detroit. Maybe a #2 in total IT given Kronwall and Ericsson's health problems, but a #3 in role/responsibility.

Perhaps he gets better, develops, something like that. He's only 22 or 23, so it's not like he's using Just For Men every Thursday night or something... but right now, enh.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah it seems like Winnipeg is setting his price tag like he's already a 40-50 pt defenseman, when he's not. He could (likely) become that, but that has to be realized still.

and no, he's not Adam Larsson either (since everyone loves to use that as the barometer for any trade with a defenseman). Larsson is much better defensively.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Totally agree. Right now Trouba's a legit #3. That's even probably where he'd play in Detroit. Maybe a #2 in total IT given Kronwall and Ericsson's health problems, but a #3 in role/responsibility.

Perhaps he gets better, develops, something like that. He's only 22 or 23, so it's not like he's using Just For Men every Thursday night or something... but right now, enh.

I think with this one, you're buying for the future. He's probably a 3 now, but when Green's contract runs out and Kronwall's wheels fall totally off, he's 1-2 with DDK.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To hell with Trouba, Kenny needs to get on the phone and see if he can sign this woman. If she can throw that kind of a hip check, I want her on my team.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Weird how when you take Trouba out of the Winnipeg offense and he isn't having a career year he isn't a 50 point defenseman anymore (on pace for 36 points), and when you put Neal Pionk into the Winnipeg offense, he is a 50 point defenseman (or at least playing at that pace thus far with 36 points in 56 games).

Bullet dodged by the Red Wings, not giving up assets and paying this guy 8M/year.

Reactions: lilidk and Retire91

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Weird how when you take Trouba out of the Winnipeg offense and he isn't having a career year he isn't a 50 point defenseman anymore (on pace for 36 points), and when you put Neal Pionk into the Winnipeg offense, he is a 50 point defenseman (or at least playing at that pace thus far with 36 points in 56 games).

Bullet dodged by the Red Wings, not giving up assets and paying this guy 8M/year.

Yes for D-man a functioning PP is really important. The Rangers use DeAngelo in the point producing role on their back-end so Trouba just plays lock down D. If you put him on a PP1 he will score more points, you don't have to. No he isn't playing with Scheifele, Connor, Laine and Wheeler...

Winnipeg is a playoff team with Trouba this year, without him they will probably miss though they are fighting admirably. Kind of a cherry pick especially as we are on pace to set the worst goal differential in the modern NHL. We would be a far better team with Trouba than we are without him, because he actually plays defense. You want to know who Seider actually probably looks the most like in the NHL... Yeah we might not want to get too happy burying Trouba because a big mean right handed D-man that actually plays rock solid D first and gets the points he gets is sort of what Seider is or we hope continues to be as he progresses up.

One of the reasons our guys numbers are terrible is they are terrible on the PP, it matters. Do I think Cholo is a 40+ point player on Winnipeg's PP1, yeah I kind of do.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yes for D-man a functioning PP is really important. The Rangers use DeAngelo in the point producing role on their back-end so Trouba just plays lock down D. If you put him on a PP1 he will score more points, you don't have to. No he isn't playing with Scheifele, Connor, Laine and Wheeler...

Winnipeg is a playoff team with Trouba this year, without him they will probably miss though they are fighting admirably. Kind of a cherry pick especially as we are on pace to set the worst goal differential in the modern NHL. We would be a far better team with Trouba than we are without him, because he actually plays defense. You want to know who Seider actually probably looks the most like in the NHL... Yeah we might not want to get too happy burying Trouba because a big mean right handed D-man that actually plays rock solid D first and gets the points he gets is sort of what Seider is or we hope continues to be as he progresses up.

One of the reasons our guys numbers are terrible is they are terrible on the PP, it matters. Do I think Cholo is a 40+ point player on Winnipeg's PP1, yeah I kind of do.

That sums up my point though. You don't have to be great offensively as a defenseman to put up points playing on Winnipeg with the firepower they have. If we're giving up premium assets (1st round pick+) AND paying someone 8M/year for 8 years or whatever, they should be independently great offensively - not someone who's offensive production on the PP can be replicated/surpassed by Neal friggin Pionk.

Trouba is not anything special offensively and is good but not elite defensively IMO, but is being paid like he is elite or near elite offensively. That's where the disconnect for me lies.

Would I want him on the Red Wings? Of course. Would I want him on the Red Wings for 8M/year, after giving up premium assets, to not be good enough on the power play to be a true difference maker offensively and be more dependent on the players around him than vice versa? Nope.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad