Post-Game Talk: Campbell plays, Leafs win

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He shouldn’t have played him at all. The torn ACL rendered him useless.

Boston’s PP was perfect in that game if I remember correctly and Babcock got outcoached by Cassidy at every turn. Not ideal any way you look at it in my opinion.
not true, he played well even hurt and the doctors ok'ed/cleared him to play, and Babcock or any coach has no say on allowing injured players to play

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Babcock got outcoached by Cassidy at every turn.

Cassidy took advantage of the fact that Babcock was too stubborn and wedded to "his way" to change things up. Repeatedly throwing two clearly injured D-men out there... And Cassidy figured out how to manipulate Babcock into sending Gardiner and Dermott out every couple of minutes in Game 7...

Then, of course, finishing it up by pulling the goalie for an extra attacker... Patrick Marleau.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im trying to enjoy this season as much as I can but the constant 1st rd playoff exit memories keeps killing the vibe.

God I hope this is the year. Or else we're never gonna hear the end of it

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Gally is becoming my favorite leaf (recently) you can tell he's trying out there and keeping the play alive.. he looks like he's sparking JT, Willy still seems abit lost out there at times but he might need more time to gel.. he needs to shoot more.

Gally has been an absolute puck hound, he's learning from watching Hyman... I notice that Hyman will hound the player even if he's lengths away and sometimes he will still get the opportunity to engage because of his effort. Gallys been doing the same thing and he seems to be everywhere.. I feel he will get his chances to get that shot open up more once JT and willy start to find him.

I hope he keeps this level of play up, and he needs to to be effective and noticable.. he will be dynamic again if he does.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think I've ever respected a Jets fan. They're identical to Oilers fans. Proper obsessed with anything Toronto.

Leafs fan living in Winnipeg I can attest that its not just the fans on this boards that are like that. 90% of Jets fans have this irrational hatred of the Leafs. Its quite comical really. They complain of the biased TO media coverage but trying watching a Jets game on TSN3. Biggest group of homers in Canadian broadcasting.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Not the GM, but the medical staff would have okayed him for sure, but the ultimate decision was Babcock's.

This is most likely what happened, the medical staff said his knee is messed up and it cant get any worse, so he was ok'ed to play, im sure the coach/medical staff/Gm discussed it during there meetings and Hyman wanted to play, and he did ... players often play hurt knowing they need to get operated on during the off season to fix the issue

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This is most likely what happened, the medical staff said his knee is messed up and it cant get any worse, so he was ok'ed to play, im sure the coach/medical staff/Gm discussed it during there meetings and Hyman wanted to play, and he did ... players often play hurt knowing they need to get operated on during the off season to fix the issue
It is probable. Sure.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dermott only played 7:58 today, and didn't see the ice for the last 10 mins of the game. You may as well give Liljegren a chance if Dermott is playing such low minutes.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Dermott only played 7:58 today, and didn't see the ice for the last 10 mins of the game. You may as well give Liljegren a chance if Dermott is playing such low minutes.

For as little time he got tonight, I thought he looked decent... D on the whole was amazing 'D and team D as a whole!'

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
The Jets board is hilarious.

They are all trying so hard to act like they’re not mad about the loss to us.

It’s actually very pathetic and cringe to read lol.

Classic case of child with temper tantrum plugging their ears and going "LA LA LA"

I love how supportive they are of each other and applauding one another for ignoring the loss against the team they hate so much. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: unitedstars87

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Take that Winnipeg.

Matthews looks better shooting wise, wrist must be better. Galchenyuk continues to impress.
Watching Matthews more closely. Has anyone else noticed he is becoming a 200 ft beast. His D game is soaring. Like the physical emergence as well. IMO, he is or will be shortly the best "All Round" player in the game. I never cast doubt on McJesus in Edmonton, but again on the D side of the puck Matthews IMO is lights out better. Kind of reminds me of Syd or Bergeron in Boston.
And Galchenyuk is kind of finding his niche. Playing big and has great wheels. Just snake bit on potting them.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
We got a great team though. That proves it, but you is right sire. That first pp should have tavares in there and not joey big. He belongs on the second unit, joey that is.

We ROCK WITH OUR C'S OUT TONIGHT THOUGH!!!!! :clap:
Also, teams know that we do not hammer from the point on our PP. They just collapse and force the outside angle shots. Do all of our D have muffin shots??

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Jets fans didn't take the loss too well:

If you want some good news, the Leafs are basically in the second year of their three-year window. This season and next season are their all-in years.

Gotta figure the chances of them bringing Hyman back are extremely slim. Leaf fans insist he'll be back, but something has got to give. They don't have the cap space. Some dumb GM will give him the Brandon Tanev contract. After next year Rielly's contract is up and they'll have trouble giving him a raise due to poor salary allocation. He's almost certainly gone, or they'll lose a player of value to keep him. Their best bet is dumping Kerfoot. Matthews leaves in free agency two years after that and they'll likely have to start to rebuild — will be tough on them though with Tavares's albatross.

The Jets meanwhile have built their team and used their cap space to be contenders for a much longer time.

Awww they are adorable

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Cassidy took advantage of the fact that Babcock was too stubborn and wedded to "his way" to change things up. Repeatedly throwing two clearly injured D-men out there... And Cassidy figured out how to manipulate Babcock into sending Gardiner and Dermott out every couple of minutes in Game 7...

Then, of course, finishing it up by pulling the goalie for an extra attacker... Patrick Marleau.
Not sure if Cassidy can take credit for Babcock just being Babcock lol

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Hyman is the best player on this team. Arguably the most valuable. He drives lines, he's the slump buster, if we had 3 Hyman 'a would he be on all three lines or one mega Hyman line?

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Watching Matthews more closely. Has anyone else noticed he is becoming a 200 ft beast. His D game is soaring. Like the physical emergence as well. IMO, he is or will be shortly the best "All Round" player in the game. I never cast doubt on McJesus in Edmonton, but again on the D side of the puck Matthews IMO is lights out better. Kind of reminds me of Syd or Bergeron in Boston.
And Galchenyuk is kind of finding his niche. Playing big and has great wheels. Just snake bit on potting them.

I think many of us have noticed. IMHO he's been like that since the beginning of the season, he dropped off a bit with the injury and now he's pretty much back to where he was to start the season. If he can stay healthy, he might be unofficially get that best overall crown by the end of next season. He's likely gonna go down as the best player in Leaf history and I see a Hart trophy in his future as well.

Hyman is the best player on this team. Arguably the most valuable. He drives lines, he's the slump buster, if we had 3 Hyman 'a would he be on all three lines or one mega Hyman line?

Second most valuable after Matthews. ;)

Seriously though, an interesting debate would be who is more valuable to the team, him or Nylander. He's a joy to watch and unlike Nylander, he doesn't have lengthy periods when he goes MIA and is the kind of player you don't have to worry about shirking away from the play when the going gets tough in the playoffs. If he had Nylander's raw talent in addition to his other assets, he'd be a top 10 forward in the NHL.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad