Post-Game Talk: Campbell plays, Leafs win

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Campbell in these types of games is on another level from Andersen.

I feel like In low event games for Andersen he’s not mentally strong. Look at the Columbus series where he let in garbage goal after garbage goal even though Columbus wasn’t generating much.

The poise just isn’t there for him.

His .936 SV% pretty much refutes that statement.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seriously though, an interesting debate would be who is more valuable to the team, him or Nylander. He's a joy to watch and unlike Nylander, he doesn't have lengthy periods when he goes MIA and is the kind of player you don't have to worry about shirking away from the play when the going gets tough in the playoffs. If he had Nylander's raw talent in addition to his other assets, he'd be a top 10 forward in the NHL.
I love Nylander but Hyman has 100% been more valuable to the Leafs this year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Was that Psycho Dad?

His predictions were actually more extreme than that - he was projecting Laine as a future 70 goal scorer and better than McDavid.

It's hard to get more extreme then saying he'd be the best player of all time. I remember that clown, not in any great detail but IIRC he was taking some of Laine's euro stats and based on that, projecting him to be better then Mario Lemieux. He posted a ton too, just kept going on and on and on. He made that the mentalist/winter soldier/interactif guy look downright rational. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I love Nylander but Hyman has 100% been more valuable to the Leafs this year.

Yeah, you're probably right. Isn't it amazing, who would have thought a few years ago that Hyman vs Nylander would an interesting question a couple years down the line. I remember after his first season many were saying that Hyman was too old to hope that he would get any better, by now he is what he is and all that. I'm proud to say I was arguing that maybe he could, he's not that old and he had little NHL experience so who's to say he can't improve? Not even in my wildest dreams though could I have seen this coming, he's is possibly the single most remarkable story I've seen in my 50+ years of following the Leafs.

Reactions: Primary Assist

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
His .936 SV% pretty much refutes that statement.

That has nothing to do with him not letting in back breaking goals.

Leafs kept Columbus out of the danger zones most of the series, and Andersen still let in horrible back breaking goals.

upload_2021-4-1_20-15-53.png

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, you're probably right. Isn't it amazing, who would have thought a few years ago that Hyman vs Nylander would an interesting question a couple years down the line. I remember after his first season many were saying that Hyman was too old to hope that he would get any better, by now he is what he is and all that. I'm proud to say I was arguing that maybe he could, he's not that old and he had little NHL experience so who's to say he can't improve? Not even in my wildest dreams though could I have seen this coming, he's is possibly the single most remarkable story I've seen in my 50+ years of following the Leafs.
It's incredibly rare that a player makes this level of evolution in their game in their late 20's. I hated Babcock a lot but he was instrumental in how Hyman has developed into the player he has today.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's incredibly rare that a player makes this level of evolution in their game in their late 20's. I hated Babcock a lot but he was instrumental in how Hyman has developed into the player he has today.

I think these discussions were in the summer of 2017. I guess he was 25 then so sure, not so young but on the other hand, it was only his first full season that had just finished.

Improving to this extent, yeah you're 100% right, that's super rare. But so many were saying that he couldn't improve at all, that was what I didn't agree with. But maybe those people just hated Babcock, that wouldn't surprise me at all. And yeah Babcock was a huge dick but I gotta give him a ton of credit for Hyman.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Was that Psycho Dad?

His predictions were actually more extreme than that - he was projecting Laine as a future 70 goal scorer and better than McDavid.

That era on here was insufferable. Bloody Finnish invasion insisting Laine was a far better player than Matthews, Jets fans and contrarians only too happy to go along with it. Was ridiculous then and it is even more so now.

I remember those 70 goal projections as well. Christ.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Isn't it amazing, who would have thought a few years ago that Hyman vs Nylander would an interesting question a couple years down the line.

When everyone on this board hated Hyman for playing with Matthews, I told anyone that listened that his production was on par with Nylander but he just didn’t get the PP time. While wildly different in what they bring, I always maintained they were similarly important players.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When everyone on this board hated Hyman for playing with Matthews, I told anyone that listened that his production was on par with Nylander but he just didn’t get the PP time.
But it wasn't on par with Nylander back then... Hyman's production was limited due to lack of PP time, but he also wasn't the player he is today. Through the 2017-2018 season, in very similar overall ES TOI, Nylander had 94 ES points, to Hyman's 68, and Nylander was younger and didn't rely on the empty net as much.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
That has nothing to do with him not letting in back breaking goals.

Leafs kept Columbus out of the danger zones most of the series, and Andersen still let in horrible back breaking goals.

View attachment 416149

this. There’s no metric to measure how much a goalie is the difference in changing the momentum and giving his team a confidence boost. Freddie has not provided that consistently for the Leafs in the playoffs... especially not for the playoff qualifier Vs CBJ

Reactions: cipher

austin1981

Oct 29, 2019
hey guys as much as loves my leafs and jack campbell he is gonna lose but lets not be hard on him he is so awesome what a team guy never throws his teammates under the bus always blames himself freddy always got excuses anyways take care guys lets hope he goes 8-0

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not sure if Cassidy can take credit for Babcock just being Babcock lol

Not sure about that. All he had to do was take note of whatever matchup Babcock was chasing for his weakest players and just keep sending that line out. I've always suspected that's why Gardiner was out for so many shifts in the first period of the last game 7 - maybe Cassidy knew who Babs wanted Gardiner up against and kept sending them over the boards to expose an injured and historically jittery player in game 7 situations.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
i can’t speak for this board, but people were absolutely dragging mitch through the mud on Twitter last couple years and i think a lot of folks need to eat crow.

he is likely the most entertaining player I have watched in many years outside mcdavid.

I put my hand up here. I've been so bitter about Mitchy ever since he held our feet to the fire and got every last cent on his contract. But he's been amazing this year, our best player imo. Worth every penny of that $10.893m

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
That era on here was insufferable. Bloody Finnish invasion insisting Laine was a far better player than Matthews, Jets fans and contrarians only too happy to go along with it. Was ridiculous then and it is even more so now.

I remember those 70 goal projections as well. Christ.

I shudder at the thought of the Leafs selecting him instead of Matthews as was discussed at the time. An "I almost hit that kid on his bike" potential life altering event type of shudder.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Not sure about that. All he had to do was take note of whatever matchup Babcock was chasing for his weakest players and just keep sending that line out. I've always suspected that's why Gardiner was out for so many shifts in the first period of the last game 7 - maybe Cassidy knew who Babs wanted Gardiner up against and kept sending them over the boards to expose an injured and historically jittery player in game 7 situations.
Again I don't think Cassidy can take credit for Babcock being Babcock... explain to me why guys like Marleau played over guys like Matthews.
Babcock was a bozo. Cassidy didn't have to make changes as he went along. Babcock didn't change up anything. so maybe Cassidy did in like Game 1 but after that it was just rinse and repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad