Pre-Game Talk: Camp Thread

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think we need 1 more year of patience on LD then it could be a team strength . Look how quick RD got stacked

I think it’s always good to have a veteran in the group. Trouba is a veteran on the right side and even though he’s poor on the ice, having Staal at least gives the young guys a calming presence and someone to talk to on the bench and at practice. When Staal moves on, I think it would be helpful to have a capable #4 caliber veteran brought in. I’m fine with having patience in terms of waiting for younger guys to grab the important roles and seeing if we have an internal solution for the top pair, but I think a veteran presence has value. Not looking to go out and add a 6M guy, but if we can add a guy around 26-30 years old who can play middle pairing minutes for 2-3 years I think that helps.

Reactions: bl02

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I can't believe how many fans

A. Think Hank should start
B. Think Hank will start
C. Think Igor will "shit the bed"

Igor is the goalie now and for the future. No time for sentiment. IF Igor shits the bed the team is going nowhere. This is a bonus, getting playoff type experience for Igor and the other young players. Wasting it on nostalgia would be insanity.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Personally, I don't care which goalie is the incumbent right now.

These are exceptional circumstances, and if we choose to play one of our goalies over the others for any reason other than he was the best prepared goalie in camp to play at a high level; then we are wrong.

It doesn't matter who is a legend. It doesn't matter who is a young phenom. It doesn't matter if a guy is mostly forgotten about in the discussion. Whoever grabs the spot should immediately get it; this isn't the regular season.

Reactions: haveandare

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’d go with Hank for game one. Out of respect. See how it goes. But of course a lot can happen between now and then. If he is crummy in camp, I would certainly be fine to go with Igor. Just saying, were I Quinn, I’d go into camp with Hank penciled in.
(I’d also do the Burt Reynolds point-wink at various ladies in the crowd).

you want to start your third string goalie in a best of FIVE playoff game out of respect?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
saw a tweet from msg showing all the rangers games on msg and isles games on msg+ but they deleted it before I could copy the link :huh:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I can't believe how many fans

A. Think Hank should start
B. Think Hank will start
C. Think Igor will "shit the bed"

Igor is the goalie now and for the future. No time for sentiment. IF Igor shits the bed the team is going nowhere. This is a bonus, getting playoff type experience for Igor and the other young players. Wasting it on nostalgia would be insanity.

Yeah, Igor was the #1 when he last played. He has been the best of the three to start camp. Barring him regressing, he will get the nod in game one. I'm a huge Hank fan, but if he's not our best goalie he shouldn't be starting.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I’d go with Hank for game one. Out of respect. See how it goes. But of course a lot can happen between now and then. If he is crummy in camp, I would certainly be fine to go with Igor. Just saying, were I Quinn, I’d go into camp with Hank penciled in.
(I’d also do the Burt Reynolds point-wink at various ladies in the crowd).

Maybe we should just respectfully bow out of this entire competition?

you want to start your third string goalie in a best of FIVE playoff game out of respect?

100%. We;ll go with our best, while our second best is in street clothes, and our third stringer dresses as back-up--there's the extent of the respect he can expect.

Love Hank, but time's up. Hope we can get him a cup while backing up Igor (sooner rather than later).

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
i'm so f***ing hard rn
tenor.gif

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Admittedly, I haven't looked this up, but are those games part of the NHL.tv 2019-20 package?

I haven't been able to find anything but aside from maybe the exhibition game I'd be shocked if all the games aren't national broadcasts between nbc, nbcsn and nhl network...local networks will get regional coverage but they want national coverage.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Just realized I'll have to watch all these on the Canes channel

This is a really good question, because playoff games are usually broadcast nationally as well. Can anyone speak to what happens in NY in the first round? Even though I’m sure you all watched on MSG, were you also able to access the games on whatever national channel they had them going on?

I haven't been able to find anything but aside from maybe the exhibition game I'd be shocked if all the games aren't national broadcasts between nbc, nbcsn and nhl network...local networks will get regional coverage but they want national coverage.

Yeah, I’m sure they will be. But I’ve always been able to access the regional broadcasts of the first round through NHL.tv despite them all being national.

I don’t know if being in the Hurricanes media market affects things here as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad