Pre-Game Talk: Camp Thread

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Guys, it's one line rush...

I'm as big of a supporter of ADA as anyone but let's all calm down with pumping him up based on an 8 second twitter video from practice 2 weeks prior to the next game

original.gif

html5

Reactions: Inferno

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I keep reading from beat reporters around the league that there is no way players are going to be in the same shape as if they were going into September camps. I don't really agree with that sentiment.

Of course we are in the middle of unprecedented times and this whole thing is a complete one-off (hopefully) so the idea of players not staying in shape throughout the quarantines is an easy thought that comes to your mind. I'm sure there were some players who mailed it in and came to this camp in shit shape. But we've seen that happen often coming off the summer break too.

These are some of the best athletes in the world and its 2020. This isn't the 60's, 70's or 80's when the science, work out regimens and diets where non-existent for most players. These guys take care of themselves. They have personal trainers, mental coaches and dietitians they are talking to regularly. Teams like the Rangers are sending them equipment to stay in shape. Many of them were overseas and still skating too. I think it's most likely a pretty similar situation going into September. Guys taking off and relaxing, enjoying time with their families but also staying in shape on daily basis - and unlike normal summers there is nothing to do, you really cant fly, go out to dinners, parties... One of the only things you can do at a time like this is try and stay in shape.

I think a lot of people will be surprised with the level of play and competitiveness we will see in this play in round. When you're a world class athlete you have an inner drive to stay in shape because its what you do and how you operate. It's what you are conditioned to do. Mental mistakes and x & o errors due to no crowds and this whole charade will definitely rear its ugly head but I don't think guys will see certain teams completely fail in regaining their conditioning.

I think the bigger issue is pushing too hard too fast. We've already seen the type of pace the Rangers have had in their scrimmages. It's been impressive. But they will need to temper that off now to guard against groin and hammy issues. Timing is everything. I have a feeling that first exhibition against the Islanders is gonna be NUTS. Maybe a little sloppy at times but its gonna be intense as ever.

I'd actually be a little worried if I was a fan of the top teams that currently have byes and waiting to play the teams from the play-in tournament. I know they have that round-robin to reseed but it isnt going to have the same desperation as an elimination series.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, we're not quite there yet. One D goes down and things could go bad quickly. But this year was house money and I'm pumped to see them back in the action. The experience can only help the young guys.
I’d agree 100% if it were a normal playoffs but here the hottest team is going to win. If, just hypothetically, Mika, Panarin, TDA and Igor come out hot, and even a far better opponent on paper has their best guys trying to get back up to speed, we can absolutely beat them. Think about how wonky the start of the season usually is and then imagine that actually being the playoffs. That’s what we’re about to see. Could go good or bad for every team but it’s going to be crazy and I suspect the better team on paper is going to lose a lot of these matchups.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I’d agree 100% if it were a normal playoffs but here the hottest team is going to win. If, just hypothetically, Mika, Panarin, TDA and Igor come out hot, and even a far better opponent on paper has their best guys trying to get back up to speed, we can absolutely beat them. Think about how wonky the start of the season usually is and then imagine that actually being the playoffs. That’s what we’re about to see. Could go good or bad for every team but it’s going to be crazy and I suspect the better team on paper is going to lose a lot of these matchups.

I'm a half-glass full guy too. Add Kakko to that list. I'm not expecting big things, but he's capable of making this team twice as dangerous if he plays the way we know he can.

Reactions: Leetch3

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Maybe I'm too much of an optimist but for those concerned about losing a D-man, or even our bottom 6 depth...we have two first lines who can put up big points, we have a lethal PP, Igor can go on a run, Fox and DeAngelo put up plenty of points. I'm not worried about our defense getting slightly worse because Hajek has to play. That's not the reason we will lose a series. We have potential to be dangerous with our PP and Igor alone. IMO that's all you need right now, not 4 deep lines.
Igor ain't letting in 3-4 a night.

Reactions: McSauer

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I still believe if Kakko can come alive we have as good of 3 lines as anyone outside of maybe Tampa, that's a big if but if there was a surge in Kakkos's play it would go a long way to finishing off that line. I think we have as good a chance as anyone if 4 things happen, a) Shesterkin continues where he left off b) The 3rd line is a little bit better c) Smith and Lindgren can handle the bulk of the minutes on the left side well. D) our top players all year are still our top players.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I still believe if Kakko can come alive we have as good of 3 lines as anyone outside of maybe Tampa, that's a big if but if there was a surge in Kakkos's play it would go a long way to finishing off that line. I think we have as good a chance as anyone if 4 things happen, a) Shesterkin continues where he left off b) The 3rd line is a little bit better c) Smith and Lindgren can handle the bulk of the minutes on the left side well. D) our top players all year are still our top players.

I thought Quinn & then we’re just trying to hype him up saying he’s came back with some new swagger lol but he actually seems a lot more confident in this interview. Even has a little playoff peachfuzz :laugh:

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

i think the baby F's (Kakko, Chytil, Gauthier, Howden) all have big moments during this run.
This atypical schedule favors young guys, and i think all of them will be ready for this 'sprint'
I def expect Gauthier to get his 1st NHL goal against his old buds.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

I thought Quinn & then we’re just trying to hype him up saying he’s came back with some new swagger lol but he actually seems a lot more confident in this interview. Even has a little playoff peachfuzz :laugh:

Was his English always this good? It's been too long..

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm not getting nasty but the purpose of hockey is winning not stroking a player's ego. It's not all his fault but he's been with the Rangers almost 15 years and hasn't gotten us a cup, we have to go with the better option.
Well, ignoring your tone, you’re putting words into my mouth. I never said ‘play Henrik at all costs’. But you and @Kovalev27 have taken a mild, nuanced comment and turned it into an ‘us versus them’ thing. ‘We want to win! You are a nostalgic sycophant!’
It’s a sign of the times, I know. It’s everywhere. But at least here I can call it out.
Hope you can appreciate that.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m drunk in the middle of the woods in PA, camping, but I can’t tell you all how excited I am just to see this young squad hit the ice again.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Was his English always this good? It's been too long..

i'm sure his english has gotten better living in NY. but it was never an issue either. I think its more confidence compared to early on when he was shy and probably worried about saying the wrong thing.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
We all love Hank and appreciate everything he's done for this franchise,but it's Igor's time now.He gives us the best chance to win any game/series at this stage of their careers.
Although I think Hank, in any other situation, would be ideal to start this series (dominant against the Hurricanes, crazy amount of playoff experience, hungry as hell for a Cup, huge chip on his shoulder, and wants to prove he still has it), Igor is just a freak.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
tweet was deleted but they posted it on youtube

Man I have a sister with type 1 diabetes and Kakko is such an inspiration. Even with the diabetes, he still wants to come and play. Already a legend in my book. Maybe type 2 is worse to have with covid around, but still.

Reactions: egelband

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Maybe I'm too much of an optimist but for those concerned about losing a D-man, or even our bottom 6 depth...we have two first lines who can put up big points, we have a lethal PP, Igor can go on a run, Fox and DeAngelo put up plenty of points. I'm not worried about our defense getting slightly worse because Hajek has to play. That's not the reason we will lose a series. We have potential to be dangerous with our PP and Igor alone. IMO that's all you need right now, not 4 deep lines.
Igor ain't letting in 3-4 a night.
I wanted to say that you might be overrating our PP and that it was good but not great , but checking the stats and our PP was 7th in % and 4th in PP goals this season. Thats pretty good. Definitely something we are not used to around here lol.

We were also 4th in PP opportunities, behind 2 names you would expect (Colorado, Vancouver) and one you wouldn't (New Jersey).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I keep reading from beat reporters around the league that there is no way players are going to be in the same shape as if they were going into September camps. I don't really agree with that sentiment.

Of course we are in the middle of unprecedented times and this whole thing is a complete one-off (hopefully) so the idea of players not staying in shape throughout the quarantines is an easy thought that comes to your mind. I'm sure there were some players who mailed it in and came to this camp in shit shape. But we've seen that happen often coming off the summer break too.

These are some of the best athletes in the world and its 2020. This isn't the 60's, 70's or 80's when the science, work out regimens and diets where non-existent for most players. These guys take care of themselves. They have personal trainers, mental coaches and dietitians they are talking to regularly. Teams like the Rangers are sending them equipment to stay in shape. Many of them were overseas and still skating too. I think it's most likely a pretty similar situation going into September. Guys taking off and relaxing, enjoying time with their families but also staying in shape on daily basis - and unlike normal summers there is nothing to do, you really cant fly, go out to dinners, parties... One of the only things you can do at a time like this is try and stay in shape.

I think a lot of people will be surprised with the level of play and competitiveness we will see in this play in round. When you're a world class athlete you have an inner drive to stay in shape because its what you do and how you operate. It's what you are conditioned to do. Mental mistakes and x & o errors due to no crowds and this whole charade will definitely rear its ugly head but I don't think guys will see certain teams completely fail in regaining their conditioning.

I think the bigger issue is pushing too hard too fast. We've already seen the type of pace the Rangers have had in their scrimmages. It's been impressive. But they will need to temper that off now to guard against groin and hammy issues. Timing is everything. I have a feeling that first exhibition against the Islanders is gonna be NUTS. Maybe a little sloppy at times but its gonna be intense as ever.

I'd actually be a little worried if I was a fan of the top teams that currently have byes and waiting to play the teams from the play-in tournament. I know they have that round-robin to reseed but it isnt going to have the same desperation as an elimination series.

I imagine that the biggest issue is mentally. How many will be “comfortable”?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Let’s be real, Kakko was always going to play unless the doctors said he was going to drop dead on the ice due to this virus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad