Pre-Game Talk: Camp Thread

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Don’t like the fact they say Kravtsov had a “quiet” performance in the scrimmage. This guy skipped his sister’s wedding as soon as he got the phone call from the Rangers and I’m really hoping there wasn’t any miscommunication surrounding his chances at making the roster.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Don’t like the fact they say Kravtsov had a “quiet” performance in the scrimmage. This guy skipped his sister’s wedding as soon as he got the phone call from the Rangers and I’m really hoping there wasn’t any miscommunication surrounding his chances at making the roster.

I mean he's probably the 14th or 15th forward headed into game 1. A lot can change quickly in the playoffs, the Rangers can't score early, he could get a shot, injuries, suspension etc...

Reactions: RangersFan1994

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Lundqvist is probably going to come out guns blazing in Game 1 to try to prove to everyone he still has it and that experience ranks highest in the playoffs

Though Ive had a few Ranger fans IRL say to me they want Shestyorkin starting but is that really a smart move? Id go Lundqvist game 1 and unless hes terrible, game 2, and if he loses both but isnt bad Id then go Shestyorkin game 3.
I’d go with Hank for game one. Out of respect. See how it goes. But of course a lot can happen between now and then. If he is crummy in camp, I would certainly be fine to go with Igor. Just saying, were I Quinn, I’d go into camp with Hank penciled in.
(I’d also do the Burt Reynolds point-wink at various ladies in the crowd).

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Random thoughts:

Fox wont have to deal with Carolina "fans" booing him (as if his or any other college player's goal is to hit Free Agency and pick their team).

The preseason game will prolly have Hank and Igor split 50/50 right? If nothing else to get them both time at game pace.

These playoffs feel more like a travel team tourney or even World Championships. Fly in for a quick training camp and then start playing. The team to get it together the fastest wins.

Will we hear the Rangers goal song and the MSG playlist during our "home games?"

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
We all love Hank and appreciate everything he's done for this franchise,but it's Igor's time now.He gives us the best chance to win any game/series at this stage of their careers.
I disagree. A rookie with ~15 games NHL experience in his first playoff game doesnt seem like a recipe for success

Though there arent any crowds its still a lot to take in at once - Id personally go Lundqvist game 1 but I can see why Rangers fans dont want to

I just think calming experience in the playoffs trumps skill far more often than in the regular season

Reactions: egelband

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think there is wayyyyyyyyyy too much emphasis placed on the "difference" between a playoff game vs a regular season game and how much that actually impacts the game. Even in this modified situation.

You put Igor in for Game 1, no question. Higher skilled goalie >>>>>>>>>

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I disagree. A rookie with ~15 games NHL experience in his first playoff game doesnt seem like a recipe for success

Though there arent any crowds its still a lot to take in at once - Id personally go Lundqvist game 1 but I can see why Rangers fans dont want to

I just think calming experience in the playoffs trumps skill far more often than in the regular season

I don’t think you want calm in this situation. Every team wants to start on fire. Calm doesn’t get that for you.

Calm is for later rounds, by which point you hope Igor has settled in.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I still have some doubts that this thing successfully gets off the ground and they make it all the way thru but god its nice to be back to discussions about hockey and not covid and all the other horrors of 2020

Reactions: haveandare

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

Im not worried about a calming influence at this stage.I'm more interested in playing the goalie who gives the team the best chance to win.Igor has plenty of experience playing big games in the KHL,i dont think he will be rattled because hes only played under 20 games over here.

Last edited:
Reactions: McSauer

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

i'm sure he is getting a million questions from fans about him but it was bit of an unfair comment by vince. 2nd day of camp, 1st with the real players and we don't really know what he was able to do during the time off and his conditioning, i'm not going to kill the kid over it.

D713B

Mar 9, 2008
7) Not to single out too many, but with the taxi squad joining the regulars for the scrimmage Wednesday, we got to see Vitali Kravtsov, Libor Hajek and even K’Andre Miller (who is ineligible for the postseason and faced actual NHL competition for the first time on Tuesday). He looks perhaps a bit nervous, but not out of place – and huge and fast. Hajek, who projects as the seventh defenseman (unless he earns the sixth slot somehow) was solid, and Kravtsov looked good too.

Quinn has a lot on his plate, but he is also a developmental coach who has an eye, occasionally in these circumstances, on the future.

“We’re always watching,” he said. “These guys are here. I’ve been on the ice with the extras, and one day I watched them from on top. It always matters with the young guys. That being said, it’s playoff hockey and we’re going to play the guys who give us the best chance to win. That doesn’t mean that we’re not going to help these guys develop. Maybe it will happen sooner than later. Who knows?”

For the folks that don't have the Athletic. Snippet from Carp's article about the young guys in camp.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Good quote from Quinn. This team is right in the middle of their build, with both top end talent and prospects knocking on the door. It's a tricky thing to balance and Quinn seems aware enough to recognize that.

Reactions: Vitto79

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think disastrous is a bit strong. There’s no feasible way to add LD to the roster next season unless ADA or Strome is not back. Hajek will have a shot in the NHL but we don’t have the money to add a veteran stop gap without shuffling some things, certainly not a bonafide top four guy. I don’t think it would be disastrous to give DeAngelo a 5-10 game look on the left side. Worst case scenario he doesn’t work and we go back to Lindgren/Staal/Smith/Hajek on the left. Middle ground it’s adequate and allows us to shelter a less capable third pair. Best case, it works and Trouba/ADA/Fox/Lindgren is the top four.

I think we need 1 more year of patience on LD then it could be a team strength . Look how quick RD got stacked

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I still have some doubts that this thing successfully gets off the ground and they make it all the way thru but god its nice to be back to discussions about hockey and not covid and all the other horrors of 2020

july 26th is the big date. I’m more glass half full but not gonna say I’m not worried about a few individual guys possibly contracting it close to the July 26th date. If they can all get to Toronto/Edmonton without much issue 100 percent this tournament is happening.
Then august 1st will be an epic day:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still hate the "developmental coach" label, like somehow that's his specialty or all he does. It also implies there are "non-developmental coaches" which to me, would just be a shitty coach. Even a veteran coach who prefers veteran rosters is still going to need to be able to work with guys to develop the players' games. And basically every coach out there gets his start in the minors or juniors developing young players. Just seems like a lazy description.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What reason would there be that he would be disastrous? It's not like he'd be asked to play a totally alien position that he has no experience in. It's been well chronicled that he played there in the OHL and he's said in the past he is comfortable there.
Because:

While his defensive play improved and I would expect it to continue to do so, it is still pretty shoddy. So moving him to a side that is not natural to him is a fairly risky proposition. People keep touting his "experience" at it. He played it in juniors and in very specific, limited situations under Quinn. To take that sample and project it over an entire year is just not realistic.

Players say that they are comfortable all the time for whatever. Does not make it reality. If you are entering a season where the gameplan is to have him play the offside, you are taking an awful big risk.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he literally played left D in juniors and dominated and has multiple times lined up next to foxy as a left D with no problem so it’s hardly a whim or out of the blue.
Juniors does not mean NHL.

Playing it in very specific situations (PP) in small samples does not exactly scream READY FOR PRIME TIME!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad