Pre-Game Talk: Camp Thread

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It may be much worse than "not quite as good". It could be disastrous. There is no way you can enter a season with that being the plan.
What reason would there be that he would be disastrous? It's not like he'd be asked to play a totally alien position that he has no experience in. It's been well chronicled that he played there in the OHL and he's said in the past he is comfortable there.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think disastrous is a bit strong. There’s no feasible way to add LD to the roster next season unless ADA or Strome is not back. Hajek will have a shot in the NHL but we don’t have the money to add a veteran stop gap without shuffling some things, certainly not a bonafide top four guy. I don’t think it would be disastrous to give DeAngelo a 5-10 game look on the left side. Worst case scenario he doesn’t work and we go back to Lindgren/Staal/Smith/Hajek on the left. Middle ground it’s adequate and allows us to shelter a less capable third pair. Best case, it works and Trouba/ADA/Fox/Lindgren is the top four.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Again, there is a reason that people do not shuffle from RD to LD at whim. It just is not that simple. Nor do I want DeAngelo's already deficient defensive ability to take on another difficulty.

Also, as pointed out multiple times, it is not really fair to say that DeAngelo plays 3rd pair minutes. One does not come in 4th in defensive scoring playing the least amount of minutes. His ice time does not dictate that. He just happens to collect his ice time in specific ways. And there is nothing wrong with that

he literally played left D in juniors and dominated and has multiple times lined up next to foxy as a left D with no problem so it’s hardly a whim or out of the blue.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
in case anyone was worried about dolan's bank account

Wait, are they foregoing having the last change in Games 3 and 4 so that Dolan can pay less in taxes?

EDIT: Nevermind. I think Carp is saying that their tax exempt status won't be impacted by their being the home team in Toronto because of the circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Lundqvist is probably going to come out guns blazing in Game 1 to try to prove to everyone he still has it and that experience ranks highest in the playoffs

Though Ive had a few Ranger fans IRL say to me they want Shestyorkin starting but is that really a smart move? Id go Lundqvist game 1 and unless hes terrible, game 2, and if he loses both but isnt bad Id then go Shestyorkin game 3.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Lundqvist is probably going to come out guns blazing in Game 1 to try to prove to everyone he still has it and that experience ranks highest in the playoffs

Though Ive had a few Ranger fans IRL say to me they want Shestyorkin starting but is that really a smart move? Id go Lundqvist game 1 and unless hes terrible, game 2, and if he loses both but isnt bad Id then go Shestyorkin game 3.

Nice try, Devils fan

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wait, are they foregoing having the last change in Games 3 and 4 so that Dolan can pay less in taxes?

EDIT: Nevermind. I think Carp is saying that their tax exempt status won't be impacted by their being the home team in Toronto because of the circumstances.
Yeah, one of Shayna Goldman's followers a few weeks back found this, which circumstance would fall under:
Ec_89h9WAAcxtZE

EX-10.6

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Dont see why thats necessary but okay

Lundqvist in the playoffs and specifically against Carolina is practically dominant

It's been several years since Lundqvist has played in the playoffs and in those years he has notably declined (team defense hasn't done him any favors but the fact remains that he can't bail them out like he used to be able to).

Bottom line is he'll have to outplay Shesterkin in this camp in a notable way to win back the starter position for game 1. Shesty was the starter when the season ended, it's his spot to lose.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
From the early feedback Shesty is showing its his net to lose but people have soured on Hank over fast. Advanced goaltending metrics show he was actually fairly good this season, or at least better than given credit for, and he’s rested and has a lot to prove. I personally believe Georgiev gets moved and Hank is Shesty’s backup, not only next year but potentially for another couple of years on a team friendly deal. He has to realize this team is on the rise, he honestly is still what would qualify as a very good backup (so if he resigns at backup money, I’ve no complaints - he’s being judged a bit extra due to his salary) and I personally believe he’d rather win a Cup as a backup with the team he’s played his entire career with than waive or sign elsewhere. I could be entirely wrong, but I have a feeling that Lundqvist is Shesty’s backup and we end up bringing him back on the cheap rather than signing a different backup. And I’m okay with it. Shesty may be the future but we’ve turned on Hank like he’s Staal because of the fact that we have a shiny new toy in net and while I’m head over heels for Shesterkin too, Hank is still a good goalie and a good backup, and likely an even better mentor.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Loving the intensity. Everything im hearing and seeing out of camp so far suggests this team will be ready to go when the puck drops on Aug 1st. Hopefully they keep it up and dont burn out. A lot of it has to do with timing.

My God, if we get the Kakko we saw at the worlds, we, the Rangers and the NHL will be in for a treat.

As far as Hank goes, I could see him possibly getting the start for game 3 - second game in back to back nights. Good numbers against the Canes... unless of course Shesty is ripping off a below 1 GAA for games 1 and 2. Which is possible. Still saying its a good problem to have with the 3 goalies.

Reactions: McSauer

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Loving the intensity. Everything im hearing and seeing out of camp so far suggests this team will be ready to go when the puck drops on Aug 1st. Hopefully they keep it up and dont burn out. A lot of it has to do with timing.

My God, if we get the Kakko we saw at the worlds, we, the Rangers and the NHL will be in for a treat.

As far as Hank goes, I could see him possibly getting the start for game 3 - second game in back to back nights. Good numbers against the Canes... unless of course Shesty is ripping off a below 1 GAA for games 1 and 2. Which is possible. Still saying its a good problem to have with the 3 goalies.
Has Kakko been confirmed to be playing?

I know there was doubts considering he has diabetes (and is celiac though idk if that matters here)

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The Rangers do strike me as a team who, at once, could be hurt OR benefited by the break.

On the one hand, we were so hot, had come together and had so much momentum when things paused. Killing that momentum and having to start in a do or die, best of 5 puts us in a tough spot where a lot kids will be leaned on to perform in a situation they’ve never experienced.

On the other hand, we were the youngest team in the league last year. But on top of that, two of our more veteran players - Panarin and Trouba - were new to the team. Also new were Fox, Kakko, Lindgren, Gauthier and players who weren’t “new” but had less than a full year with the club were Chytil, Lemieux, DeAngelo, Strome. Add Shesterkin towards the end of the year. That’s a lot of adjustment for a team’s locker room, identity and chemistry. But it was coming together beautifully. Take a break and now these guys aren’t coming together as strangers anymore. There’s no “getting to know” each other. There’s no questions. These guys can take all the kinship and success they were coming together to have at the end of the year and build off of it.

We talked about Kakko benefitting from time off to synthesize everything and how practicing everyday and being with the team everyday is good, but sometimes that time away allow it to soak in and when you come back you’re no longer the new kid, you’re part of the group and you can apply all you’ve learned. I don’t know that ANY team has come together as much as NYR or can so clearly point to their progress and say they have a bright, bright future as this group this year. Now they’re getting back together, not as new teammates and strangers and uncertain rookies, but as a group of friends, comrades, family.

This group has a buzz about them. A swagger. They know how good they were to end the season. They know they were better than their record. They know they’ve got a bright future. They know. There’s something special brewing.

And unrelated to the point of the post, that’s why I’m loath to move Buchnevich or DeAngelo and happy enough to bring back Strome. I think we need one top four LHD, and 1-2 vets for the bottoms six/4th line. Otherwise, I wouldn’t touch anything right now. We’ve got too much mojo.

Reactions: McSauer

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
All of these videos have me hyped. Win or lose, this experience should be good for everyone. Can't wait.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Igor is not going to shit the bed and hank isn’t going to save us. He’s not 2015 hank. That needs to get out of people’s heads. He’s literally the third string goalie on this team. Just because there was a pause doesn’t change anything as if he is now going to be this unicorn. He’s not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad