Camp surprises

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's always one or two players who surprise the experts with their play and qualify as "the surprises of training camp". Any predictions? I like Ronalds Kenins and Hunter Shinkaruk, although after last year "Shink" might not be a surprise. Darren Archibald could be another. :handclap:

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Gaunce would be a safe choice to have a good camp, don't know if that's a surprise or not though..

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
What an unfortunate time to develop mono.

Do NCAA guys like Hutton and Demko come to camp?

Not unless they pay their own way. So probably not.

I'm going to go off the board and say Alex Grenier will surprise people, he won't make the team but he'll show promise and may turn into a call up possibility.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
maybe prospects outside our main couple will actually get a preseason game this year.

That's the idea that seems to be coming out of most sources. Give younger guys at least the opportunity to showcase if they're ready to play at the NHL. "Earn a spot" if you will...

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Gaunce being able to force his way out of an AHL spot onto this team out of camp would be very shocking. if he is there then that is really cool but these waiver exempt AHL players are such easy options to send down. They can be called up whenever and injuries will happen throughout the season. He'd have to put together a pretty ridiculous camp.

If this team is indeed missing the playoffs then he can take a spot full time when players start getting traded. Matthias and Richardson are both UFAs. Others may move on as well.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Don't know if any of our 1st round picks can be "surprise" so to speak since we are clearly going to have a youth movement, all of them likely will have a decent chance to make the team (except maybe the ones from this year). That means HS, BH, BG, and NJ all will have a legit shot of making the team. HS probably has the biggest hill to climb since he's coming off a major injury and likely isn't @ 100% gameshape coming pre-season.

Regardless, if we are going with that formula of "surprise", i think Jansen would likely be the one. He's probably the best "finisher" we have and since we had trouble filling the net last year, he'll probably get a very close look.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I think Ronalds Kenins and Mike Zalewski are going to impress, based on how Kenins looked at the Olympics and Zalewski in his cup of coffee.

I predict a lot of people will cool on Dane Fox, post-camp.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Fox for me. I can see him finding the back of the net multiple times during training camp with that ridiculous shot of his.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Fox, for sure in my mind.

I think Shinkaruk will surprise people in the sense of how well he does even having lost much of last year.

Does anyone know if Tryamkin is attending (or even allowed to)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad