Speculation: Camp locks and dark horses

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mueller is a lock as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. I also think Prout has made it difficult to not dress him in the bottom pairing. Guy played that role perfectly tonight. Safe passes, always in position, not taking chances, etc. Exactly what you need in the bottom pairing, and everything Lovejoy is failing at.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Agreed. I also think Prout has made it difficult to not dress him in the bottom pairing. Guy played that role perfectly tonight. Safe passes, always in position, not taking chances, etc. Exactly what you need in the bottom pairing, and everything Lovejoy is failing at.

Just have Prout play in Lovejoys place, I'm sure 99% of the posters on here wouldn't mind that. Lovejoy blows.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just have Prout play in Lovejoys place, I'm sure 99% of the posters on here wouldn't mind that. Lovejoy blows.
I think I was the only one to say a couple weeks ago, at least publicly, that I already thought Prout was probably better than Lovejoy. Unless Lovejoy is really a lot better than what we saw last year, and it was just a down year. It's not completely out of the question for Lovejoy to bounce back, as he's only 33 and not 35 or 36, with a ton of mileage. I'm not betting on it though.

And while I wasn't publicly shamed for it, I'm sure a few people were probably laughing at the thought of Prout being better than Lovejoy. And now, here we are after just a few preseason games and 99% (or close to it) agree.:laugh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

If Prout played 20 minutes a night and killed penalties as much as Lovejoy did last year, he'd get ripped apart just as savagely.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Prout played 20 minutes a night and killed penalties as much as Lovejoy did last year, he'd get ripped apart just as savagely.

Well, I don't think we want him playing 20 minutes a night either. He'd probably get chewed up playing that much.

I also don't think that the Lovejoy that we saw last year would have been good as a third pairing guy. He just wouldn't have looked as bad, because he would have been playing fewer minutes and against weaker competition. I was in that line of thinking, that maybe it was just the too many minutes and too tough of competition. Up until January or February. After that, I just couldn't believe it anymore.

Maybe playing all those minutes might have burnt him out early on, but I'm not so sure about that either. I think it was just a bad season, which he can hopefully recover from, and the best way to ensure that is by not playing him as much as last year. Or it was a bad season, leading to a rapid decline.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Who would have thought that Mueller and Prout would be the surprises of camp on the backend. These two trades were hated on this forum when they were made and for good reason. If these two have really improved this much in the off season it would be absolutely huge for us.

Personally, I have been most dissapointed with Mcleod so far. I just expected more out of him. Unless things change, he will be back in juniors this year.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
IMO I don’t think it would be wise for Speers or Bratt to be on the 4th line. Wouldn’t make sense for their development. Better suited for guys like Coleman/Noesen

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Who would have thought that Mueller and Prout would be the surprises of camp on the backend. These two trades were hated on this forum when they were made and for good reason. If these two have really improved this much in the off season it would be absolutely huge for us.

Personally, I have been most dissapointed with Mcleod so far. I just expected more out of him. Unless things change, he will be back in juniors this year.

I haven't seen much of McLeod play, it seems like every game he's in I miss. But as much as I would have loved for him to show enough to make the jump this season, it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to go back to juniors. It'll give him the chance to continue to improve on his strong finish and he'll probably have a big role in the world juniors.

On the flip side, Bratt man. So good. He's going to be a good player one day, I can feel it my bones. But I didn't expect this so soon.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Doesn't it seem like all signs are pointing towards the seven defensemen to make the team are: greene, severson, moore, butcher, mueller, lovejoy, prout? I would assume they go 14F-7D, given Boyle will obviously be one of the forwards. prolly want to have another guy with his situation. 8D is never ideal anyways. Seems that Butcher's PP prowess has him on the inside track, and would they bury prout's 1.25 million or whatever he makes in the AHL, given he has had a solid preseason so far? we all know lovejoy is all but guaranteed to not go anywhere, even though that would be the best case scenario.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
IMO I don’t think it would be wise for Speers or Bratt to be on the 4th line. Wouldn’t make sense for their development. Better suited for guys like Coleman/Noesen

Eh I don't think it would be the end of the world. Especially if they get some time on special teams. I think it would be better for Bratt to go back to junior, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a taste like we did with Speers last year.

I would put Blandisi into the lock category at this point. He's versatile, plays the style Hynes likes, can be slotted in on pretty much any line, can play the PP well, and has some NHL experience.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I know it's just preseason, but after watching last nights game, Prout looks great. He looks like what I thought lovejoy could be. Also, I'm a little more biased towards having him, because Prout can fight and protect our younger guys.

Lovejoy, although a big boy, doesn't drop the mitts/isn't as intimidating.

If they're bringing a similar skill set, I'm going with Prout.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I know it's just preseason, but after watching last nights game, Prout looks great. He looks like what I thought lovejoy could be. Also, I'm a little more biased towards having him, because Prout can fight and protect our younger guys.

Lovejoy, although a big boy, doesn't drop the mitts/isn't as intimidating.

If they're bringing a similar skill set, I'm going with Prout.

Prout has certainly been a pleasant surprise this preseason.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
one could argue maybe prout was just seriously rusted up during last season. the guy hardly played at all during the season calendar. maybe he worked his butt off this offseason. but considering the amount of bottom 4 options for D, even if he starts to degrade as the season goes, we have options for those roles, i'd think

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
While we still lack that #1 d-man, I feel like our depth has improved enough for me to actually have some form of faith in our defense.

Because they can be sent down, I expect one of Butcher/Santini + Kapla to be cut before opening night. But I like the fact that guys like Lovejoy and Moore actually have to show they belong.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While we still lack that #1 d-man, I feel like our depth has improved enough for me to actually have some form of faith in our defense.

Because they can be sent down, I expect one of Butcher/Santini + Kapla to be cut before opening night. But I like the fact that guys like Lovejoy and Moore actually have to show they belong.

Kapla's literally got NO shot at making the team. He's already been passed not only by Mueller/Butcher but also arguably by Dyblenko. I'd put him no higher than third on the in-season callup list at best and no higher than tenth on the overall depth chart behind the NHL seven d-men, the Mueller/Butcher 'loser' and Dyblenko.

Santini being cut would be a big mistake. The kid needs to play as far as I'm concerned.

I do think he deserves the first crack over Butcher, but the fact is one of those two is going down because they don't need waivers and everyone else would. Teams just don't cut players on contract before regular season games when they don't have to unless it's a drastic situation (Vegas might have to because they can't trade any of them and have too many one-way guys).

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I wish they would just send Lovejoy down. Rather Santini, Butcher and Prout playing over him. All of them are better than him, and Butcher brings what the team needs, offensive skill from the back end.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
I wish they would just send Lovejoy down. Rather Santini, Butcher and Prout playing over him. All of them are better than him, and Butcher brings what the team needs, offensive skill from the back end.

I'll be more than happy if Lovejoy is the #6/7, as opposed to #3. Since they don't need to waive a d-man, why would they?

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I'm not familiar with the cba and buyouts, but do we have a slot to buyout Lovejoy? I'm not saying this should be done, just asking if it were even possible.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If they were going to buy him out they would have done it in the offseason. You can't do another buyout till next offseason (where it'd be more feasible with one year left on the deal anyway).

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If everyone keeps playing well, defense is going to be tough to choose. I hold to my statement last night. I have a hard hard time believing they will sit Lovejoy. So Im assuming that the top 4 is set with the vets. Greene Severson; Moore Lovejoy, come combo of those 4. I would give Mueller and Prout the first shot as the bottom pairing. They have played very well together now for 2 games. Id let Brian Strait sit at the 7th Dman.

Id send Butcher and Santini to Bingo to start the season, NOT because they played bad, NOT because they arent NHL Dman, just because they are be sent down without waivers. Let them be a top pairing in Bingo get all kinds of minutes and they will be called up for injuries and at some point likely be placed in the line-up full time at some point during the season.

What i dont want is Butcher and Santini rotating in and out as 7th and 8th dman with Prout or Mueller or whoever had the bad game. I think its better for all of them to just play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad