Speculation: Camp locks and dark horses

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Mueller is likely a lock simply based on his waiver status (and he's looked solid so far). I think Butcher and Santini fight it out for the last starting spot, and I might actually give Butcher a slight edge there based on his skillset.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Based on today alone, I see Nico, Mueller, Noesen and Blandisi making the team for sure.

Bratt and Butcher deserve longer looks.

Hayes is the only guy I want to see shot into the sun.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Hischier, Blandisi and Mueller are definitely locks.

Butcher continues to look good. I think he makes it as well.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Based on today alone, I see Nico, Mueller, Noesen and Blandisi making the team for sure.

Bratt and Butcher deserve longer looks.

Hayes is the only guy I want to see shot into the sun.

Bratt looks good, but he is only 19 and he can still play professional hockey in Sweden.

The camp locks are

F: Hall, Henrique, Palmeiri, Zacha, Johanssen, Nico, Noessen, Boyle, Stafford
D: Moore, Severson, Greene, Lovejoy (unfortunately), Mueller
G: Schnedier Kinkaid

That leaves 5 forward spots and 2 D. My guess is

F: Wood, Blandisi, Speers, McLeod, Lappin or Quenneville
D: Butcher and Santini

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Bratt looks good, but he is only 19 and he can still play professional hockey in Sweden.

The camp locks are

F: Hall, Henrique, Palmeiri, Zacha, Johanssen, Nico, Noessen, Boyle, Stafford
D: Moore, Severson, Greene, Lovejoy (unfortunately), Mueller
G: Schnedier Kinkaid

That leaves 5 forward spots and 2 D. My guess is

F: Wood, Blandisi, Speers, McLeod, Lappin or Quenneville
D: Butcher and Santini

My guess is that Wood and Prout are probably near locks. Wood would be better served by some time in the minors and the Devils would be better served if Prout was on a different team, but for different reasons I think they are both on the roster opening night barring something dramatic.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
My guess is that Wood and Prout are probably near locks. Wood would be better served by some time in the minors and the Devils would be better served if Prout was on a different team, but for different reasons I think they are both on the roster opening night barring something dramatic.

I don't get the Prout hate. He's the least of the Devils problems.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

He's not terrible, he's just got no ceiling, there's no future here for him, and there's no way the staff is gonna choose him over their favorites in Lovejoy and Moore, even if he's better than them.

He doesn't really do anything particularly that great either.

I still strongly believe that Prout is better in a #6 role than last year's Ben Lovejoy is in ANY kind of an NHL role. Unless the bad year was just an anomaly for him, and he's really not on the decline.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I don't hate him but he is on an expiring contract and may force a young defender to the minors because of the roster numbers game. He's a vet presence and tough on a team that was soft last season so he sticks but in the long run if he takes NHL time from a deserving young player only to leave at the end of the season I see that as a net loss. I may very well be wrong but my intent was not to denigrate Prout as a real problem. I fully realize there are significant systemic problems the Devils face in the near term. My issue is that right now you have to find small smart decisions to set up a better tomorrow and I don't see Prout as part of that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Butcher is fun to watch but I'm a little skeptical about his defense.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't hate him but he is on an expiring contract and may force a young defender to the minors because of the roster numbers game. He's a vet presence and tough on a team that was soft last season so he sticks but in the long run if he takes NHL time from a deserving young player only to leave at the end of the season I see that as a net loss. I may very well be wrong but my intent was not to denigrate Prout as a real problem. I fully realize there are significant systemic problems the Devils face in the near term. My issue is that right now you have to find small smart decisions to set up a better tomorrow and I don't see Prout as part of that.

Prout is a guy that you can sub into your third pairing and he won't hurt you but it doesn't matter if you sit him. Prout allows us to not carry Santini, Butcher, Mueller, Dyblenko, or Kapla as the 7th man and let those guys play at either the NHL or AHL level.

He's also not making too much money, so we could always demote him if need be.

Prout also seems to be our de facto enforcer at this point. To be honest, I'd rather see him than Helgeson or Gazdic blocking shots in the D zone all game. He's at least a competent NHL defender.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Prout is a guy that you can sub into your third pairing and he won't hurt you but it doesn't matter if you sit him. Prout allows us to not carry Santini, Butcher, Mueller, Dyblenko, or Kapla as the 7th man and let those guys play at either the NHL or AHL level.

He's also not making too much money, so we could always demote him if need be.

Prout also seems to be our de facto enforcer at this point. To be honest, I'd rather see him than Helgeson or Gazdic blocking shots in the D zone all game. He's at least a competent NHL defender.

I remember referring to Prout as the rich man's Helgeson last year. He's not nearly as bad as Helgeson (who the hell? Mark Fraser?), he just has a limited skill set.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Because he never appears in anyone's lineups. Blandisi should be a dark horse to make the team, and be in the opening night lineup.

He had a very good game. At two assists right now, but in reality he should have had a goal because he deflected Mueller's shot in. His dish to Noesen on his goal was slick

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I really wish there was a way to get rid of Lovejoy.

Prout is fine as a #7.

Greene-Severson
Moore-Santini
Mueller-Butcher

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
This is officially the thread that will change drastically with each pre season game played :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->