Speculation: Camp locks and dark horses

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
He's not terrible, he's just got no ceiling, there's no future here for him, and there's no way the staff is gonna choose him over their favorites in Lovejoy and Moore, even if he's better than them.

He doesn't really do anything particularly that great either.

I still strongly believe that Prout is better in a #6 role than last year's Ben Lovejoy is in ANY kind of an NHL role. Unless the bad year was just an anomaly for him, and he's really not on the decline.

What is it about Lovejoy that the staff likes? Most fans including myself think he is worthless.

Southpaw123

Apr 9, 2017
Based on today alone, I see Nico, Mueller, Noesen and Blandisi making the team for sure.

Bratt and Butcher deserve longer looks.

Hayes is the only guy I want to see shot into the sun.

Have to wonder if JQ was bothered by playing with Hayes? Although it seems that Jimmy was benched for most of the third period. Really was hoping JQ would come out guns blazing.

Thought I read somewhere the team is off today, wonder if Boyle will return anytime soon.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Looking at the roster and really just spitting out the guys I think and want on the team:

Hall-Mojo-Palms
Rico-Zacha/Nico-Stafford
(JQ/Wood/McLeod)-Zacha/Nico-(Wood/Hayes/McLeod/Speers?)
Blandisi-Boyle-Noesen
Ex: Coleman (think he's a good extra forward that you can slot in on the 4th line), Zajac IR'd

Those 3rd line wing spots are definitely up for grabs.

Greene-Severson
Moore-Santini
Mueller-Butcher
Ex: Lovejoy (we can dream), Prout

Will be interesting to see who it comes down to here. May be as simple as waiver eligibility being the final call.

Schneider/Kinkaid

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Have to wonder if JQ was bothered by playing with Hayes? Although it seems that Jimmy was benched for most of the third period. Really was hoping JQ would come out guns blazing.

Thought I read somewhere the team is off today, wonder if Boyle will return anytime soon.

Why would he be bothered? He was given a top 6 opportunity centered by the 1st overall draft pick. He didn't live up and hopefully he realizes it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What is it about Lovejoy that the staff likes? Most fans including myself think he is worthless.

He's the type of "good soldier" just about every NHL coaching staff has a weakness for. He doesn't play a flashy game, he never complains, he's a "good guy in the room", etc. Plus he plays the PK, where we didn't really have a lot of options last year. Hopefully Santini, Butcher, and Mueller develop and force him down the third pair or off the team entirely.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why would he be bothered? He was given a top 6 opportunity centered by the 1st overall draft pick. He didn't live up and hopefully he realizes it.

Probably meant their line didn't get all that much even strength time with Hayes trying to get a date with someone sitting behind the penalty box :sarcasm:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hayes bounced back in his quest for a contract.

Speers definitely remains a dark horse to make the team. I'm really on the fence with McLeod.

Stafford is going to have a middle 6 RW spot so there isn't many spots even on the right side open.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
McLeod might have more of a shot if Boyle isn't ready for the start of the season. He already probably had a bit more of a shot, due to Zajac. I don't see the point in playing him if he isn't ready though. Need to see more game action from him first.

Who the hell knows? Beat me. A lot of teams have a defenseman that is as bad as him, they just don't play 20 minutes a night....

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
McLeod might have more of a shot if Boyle isn't ready for the start of the season. He already probably had a bit more of a shot, due to Zajac. I don't see the point in playing him if he isn't ready though. Need to see more game action from him first.

Who the hell knows? Beat me. A lot of teams have a defenseman that is as bad as him, they just don't play 20 minutes a night....

Exactly

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
McLeod should make the team. He was very good on the fore-check with his speed. I'll say Speers as well, although he made the team last year and I guess Nico. I have to see some of the other kids play before I select any others.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
McLeod should make the team. He was very good on the fore-check with his speed. I'll say Speers as well, although he made the team last year and I guess Nico. I have to see some of the other kids play before I select any others.

I think McLeod gets a few games to start the season, which is when the decision will have to be made whether he stays or not. Showed some decent flashes yesterday, but his overall game needs to improve if he wants to stay.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Posted this in the other thread, but I am really liking this dyblenko. super composed with the puck. the style he plays kinda reminds me a little bit of Jake Gardiner (obviously not on that level) and the way he gets around the ice reminds me a lot of a more mobile Sergei Gonchar (at least looking at gonchar's mobility in the latter years of his career). I think they may have something there. granted its against inferior competition in preseason action and he prolly goes to binghamton this season, but could definitely see him having a future with the big club. maybe even a call up at some point this season. intrigued to see how he progresses.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think McLeod makes it. Just physically, he's an NHL player.

His skills/offensive mindset, might benefit from another year in the OHL, but that's one of those unsettled debates.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Posted this in the other thread, but I am really liking this dyblenko. super composed with the puck. the style he plays kinda reminds me a little bit of Jake Gardiner (obviously not on that level) and the way he gets around the ice reminds me a lot of a more mobile Sergei Gonchar (at least looking at gonchar's mobility in the latter years of his career). I think they may have something there. granted its against inferior competition in preseason action and he prolly goes to binghamton this season, but could definitely see him having a future with the big club. maybe even a call up at some point this season. intrigued to see how he progresses.

Seems his balance is way off though, especially when skating back and the rush coming at him. Very reachy.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think McLeod makes it. Just physically, he's an NHL player.

His skills/offensive mindset, might benefit from another year in the OHL, but that's one of those unsettled debates.

Yeah, always tough to figure out the best road for a prospect. Some people (generally non-Devils fans) will argue that Zacha shouldn't have been up last year given his numbers and slow start, but I think it helped him tremendously heading into this season.

HatTrick89

May 27, 2008
York
What about

Hall - Mojo - Palms
Henrique - Zacha - Stafford
Wood - Nico - Hayes
Blandisi - Coleman - Noefson

JQ/Mcleod/Lappin - extras

Greene - Severnson
Moore - Lovejoy
Mueller - Santini/Butcher (one will prob be AHL)
Prout

CS
Kinky

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What about

Hall - Mojo - Palms
Henrique - Zacha - Stafford
Wood - Hishchier - Hayes
Blandisi - Coleman - Noefson

JQ/Mcleod - extras

Greene - Severnson
Moore - Lovejoy
Mueller - Santini/Butcher (one will prob be AHL)
Prout

CS
Kinky

I'd scratch LJ and I'm not sitting JQ or McLeod for Coleman.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Second game grades.
I liked
McLeod - forecheck, some good defensive work, nice entries
Stafford - could be more useful than I expected
Wood - had some good moments, working hard
Zacha - beautiful goals, a few other good moments
Blackwood - better than the last game I saw

I disliked
Lovejoy - as usual
Expected more from Henrique, but it's preseason and I just want him to score 30 goals when it really matters.

In the 1st game I liked Bratt, Noesen and Mueller.
Dyblenko is interesting, could be a nice depth player.
Butcher has a lot of skill. Has to work to be defensively better, but he's in the mix, already better than some of our former 3rd pair d-men.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd scratch LJ and I'm not sitting JQ or McLeod for Coleman.

Yup. Coleman is a career AHL player.

I'm fine with JQ and McLeod not being on the team, but they should be in the AHL/juniors if they're not, and not only playing every few games in the NHL. I was hoping that JQ would be ready to make the team this year.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Yup. Coleman is a career AHL player.

I'm fine with JQ and McLeod not being on the team, but they should be in the AHL/juniors if they're not, and not only playing every few games in the NHL. I was hoping that JQ would be ready to make the team this year.

I'm not ready to chalk Coleman up to being a career AHL'er just yet. Yeah, he's on the older side but has still been a pro for only two seasons - the first of which was cut drastically short. He outperformed JQ in Albany last season, and while still early appears to be having a slightly better camp thus far.

With Zajac and now potentially Boyle out to start the season, there's also more of a need for 4th line center that can play the PK - a role that he would fill better than JQ or McLeod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad