Post-Game Talk: Cam Newton’s Fumble Kills Patriots’ Comeback Bid, Bills Win 24-21

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
It is becoming more of a crapshoot than ever

Who are the best QBs in the league right now?

Mahomes, drafted 10th after the terrible Mitch Trubisky
Russell Wilson, drafted in the third round after the likes of Andrew Luck, RGII, and Brandon Weeden went in the first round
Aaron Rodgers, late first
Brady, we all know that story.
Etc.

How often have the top QBs in the draft lived up to the hype in the last 10 years? Kyler Murray may be on his way, and Goff is borderline (though I consider him highly limited and was exposed in the Superbowl). Andrew Luck is a debatable case because he certainly was an elite QB for his short career but considering the early retirement and injury issues along the way, did he live up to the hype leading up to his draft?

Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Luck though, the first to get that real generational QB hype since. Much more of a blue chip than like Baker Mayfield or other top picks who were just the best in bad draft classes.
They arent going to get Lawrence though there's already a half dozen teams actively tanking to get him.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
They arent going to get Lawrence though there's already a half dozen teams actively tanking to get him.
Not with our own pick. But let's say the Bengals manage to finish with the worst record and #1 pick? They've got Burrow, they need depth in all other positions. So we could throw a package together and move up.

Chances of that are low since the cost would be very high, but it's not impossible. The more likely thing is the Bengals finish around the 4th pick and see if we could trade picks to get Fields out of it.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Not with our own pick. But let's say the Bengals manage to finish with the worst record and #1 pick? They've got Burrow, they need depth in all other positions. So we could throw a package together and move up.

Chances of that are low since the cost would be very high, but it's not impossible. The more likely thing is the Bengals finish around the 4th pick and see if we could trade picks to get Fields out of it.
Sure its not impossible, but its highly unlikely. Theyre are also going to be teams between the Bengals and Patriots who would have more draft capital to trade for the pick. There are also plenty of teams that could still get the number one pick who need a QB as well. I just find it high unlikely the Patriots get anywhere near the number 1 pick.

They would be better off trying to find one of those mid to late 1st rounders while still winning and not having to mortage their entire draft moving up

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
If the Pats lose this, they might as well tank because they won't be able to get into the playoffs any other way than winning the division.

Why do they need to tank? Tank isn't in the language of a good coach. They will lose naturally. Harry and Edelman are out against Buffalo. Gilmore is questionable but he checked out mentally he is read for the trade.
Must Win isn't a part of the Pats' thought process as of now.

Reactions: bbfan419

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Why do they need to tank? Tank isn't in the language of a good coach. They will lose naturally. Harry and Edelman are out against Buffalo. Gilmore is questionable but he checked out mentally he is read for the trade.
Must Win isn't a part of the Pats' thought process as of now.

I want Trevor Lawrence or Trey Lance if shit goes sideways. That's why. If they win, then I want this team to stay competitive enough to eek out a 9-7 or if by some miracle a 10-6 record.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's not just a recent trend either. Goes way back. Rick Mirer taken second by Seattle. David Klingler taken 6th overall by the Bungles. Ryan Leaf taken 2nd overall by the Chargers. And on and on....

Imo with a qb it’s not about where they get picked, it’s about the environment they are developed in. I’m a really big believer in breaking a QB in slowly. Like the packers did with Rodgers and what they are going to do with Love. A lot of them get thrown into the fire and have no real shot at development (ex. Josh Rosen, David Carr, dozens of others)

Reactions: LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Take a flyer on John Ross for a conditional 7th and run an offense where it’s all run plays or intermediate/deep passes. That’s honestly what they have the personnel for. Cam has always had a good deep ball. Sometimes I feel like he’s more accurate from 15 yards than 5 yards too

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
There is zero chance they either tank hard enough for Lawrence, or trade up for him.

Like, negative zero percent chance.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Imo with a qb it’s not about where they get picked, it’s about the environment they are developed in. I’m a really big believer in breaking a QB in slowly. Like the packers did with Rodgers and what they are going to do with Love. A lot of them get thrown into the fire and have no real shot at development (ex. Josh Rosen, David Carr, dozens of others)
Recently though that trend has gone out the window, morw and more pro style offenses in college. Feels like most guys are starting there rookie or 2nd year at worse.

Though I do agree environment plays a huge role. There are some guy ala Sam Darnell that never had a chance because of who they were drafted by

Reactions: CDJ

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Recently though that trend has gone out the window, morw and more pro style offenses in college. Feels like most guys are starting there rookie or 2nd year at worse.

Though I do agree environment plays a huge role. There are some guy ala Sam Darnell that never had a chance because of who they were drafted by
Just to add on. The team spent 20 years building this culture. I think throwing that out the window, even for one year would be a giant mistake. Brady is gone, so a lot of free agents may look here and say it was all Tom. Now on top of that you want to actively lose games? Best thing they could do right now is put togther a representative season. Maybe even somehow win the division. I think we all know and so does the rest of the league, that the Patriots roster is not very good. That would be a huge feather in the Patriots cap if they could pull that off and show the rest of the league they are still the Patriots and still control the AFCE.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I want Trevor Lawrence or Trey Lance if shit goes sideways. That's why. If they win, then I want this team to stay competitive enough to eek out a 9-7 or if by some miracle a 10-6 record.

Just be a Patriots fan stop with the wants.......unless you have they money to buy the team.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ElmvfM3XIAA-pt_

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Just be a Patriots fan stop with the wants.......unless you have they money to buy the team.

How dare I have expectations and shit. I should just go with the flow. :^)

Bullshit. This is an organization that is supposed to be on the level in terms of competency. If they perform poorly, they should be called out on the carpet for it by the fans.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
How dare I have expectations and shit. I should just go with the flow. :^)

Bullshit. This is an organization that is supposed to be on the level in terms of competency. If they perform poorly, they should be called out on the carpet for it by the fans.

You realize as a true Patriots fan that the team has been restricted by cap space from contracts of the past? That players expected to be the backbone opted out due to virus pandemic? You having followed the team, have seen that they were impacted by COVID illness? You have seen while watching the games that essential player players have been injured? And yet you expect the impossible? Are you sure you are a Patriots fan?

It is time to sell players before the trade deadline. Draft choices are in order and a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad