Post-Game Talk: Cam Newton’s Fumble Kills Patriots’ Comeback Bid, Bills Win 24-21

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-10-29_11-45-47.png

Sunday's matchup between the Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots has quite the different feel, and it's beyond the Patriots being 2-4 and the Bills 5-2.

For the first time since Week 2 of 2015 in Buffalo, the Patriots will not be favored in a division game, as they are currently 3.5-point underdogs. The 30-game streak as betting favorite in division games was the longest active streak by a big margin.

So, are the Patriots still the team to beat in the AFC East?
Patriots safety Devin McCourty was asked that question Wednesday and he doesn't think so.

“They’re first in the division. We’re 2-4,” McCourty said via video conference. "So I definitely won’t call us the team to beat this year. I know me personally, I talk about it every year, it doesn’t matter what’s happened here in the past. I’ve always said that when you talk about the Super Bowls won in the early 2000s, that doesn’t have anything to do with us. Super Bowls won after 2010, that has nothing to do with us.

“I will say right now we’d be crazy to think coming into the game that we’re the team to beat, like they’re No. 1. This is going to be a huge challenge for us on the road, you know, the top team, we’ve got to really bring our A-game coming off three straight losses. So I think for us, our backs are against the wall, we’ve got to go out there and play well.”

McCourty also noted the team can respond well to the losses as well as they can, but all that doesn't matter unless they start winning games.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Their schedule softens a bit in the 2nd half, but they MUST take care of business against the division.

4-2 at minimum.

Miami is the wild card in all of this.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Their schedule softens a bit in the 2nd half, but they MUST take care of business against the division.

4-2 at minimum.

WNY fans have been waiting for this game for over 20 years but at least it is an empty stadium.

They should beat the Jets twice

Those back to back games in LA will be tough

upload_2020-10-29_12-21-35.png

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

4-2 at minimum.

I think they have to sweep the Bills if they want the division. They're too far back and would have to rely on the Bills losing every tough game on their schedule the second half. 9-7 won't cut it. We've got a loss coming up against Baltimore, and have to think that one of Arizona or the two LA games will be a loss. That puts us at 6. You've gotta win both those Buffalo games.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They can't score a touchdown. They can't stop the running game, and they've gotten destroyed in the passing game. With a mobile QB in Josh Allen, I think they're going to get it fed to them pretty hard this weekend.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
They can't score a touchdown. They can't stop the running game, and they've gotten destroyed in the passing game. With a mobile QB in Josh Allen, I think they're going to get it fed to them pretty hard this weekend.

I'll grant you the first point, their finishing ability in the red zone is atrocious. But the run defense is a strength of this team. They only got chewed up last week because they were absolutely blown up since they had just sat down to rest after a 15 play drive when idiot Newton throws an INT on the first play of the following drive putting them right back on the field.

Pass defense is overall good. Gilmore looks like he doesn't care anymore, but Jonathan Jones is a star in the making. They create turnovers there. Take out Russell Wilson going super saiyan in week 2 and their averages look very good - not to the all-time great level that was last year, but it's still the strength of their team.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Jules out for this game and a few more due to his knee. Might need surgery, but Jeff Howe doesn't expect him to miss the whole season.

He's already missed games 1 through 6 so I hope makes it back sometime this year.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'll grant you the first point, their finishing ability in the red zone is atrocious. But the run defense is a strength of this team. They only got chewed up last week because they were absolutely blown up since they had just sat down to rest after a 15 play drive when idiot Newton throws an INT on the first play of the following drive putting them right back on the field.

Pass defense is overall good. Gilmore looks like he doesn't care anymore, but Jonathan Jones is a star in the making. They create turnovers there. Take out Russell Wilson going super saiyan in week 2 and their averages look very good - not to the all-time great level that was last year, but it's still the strength of their team.
I'd assume Gilmore is traded, but he's still first on the team in all the measurable for a CB. If he's checked out, it isn't really showing on the field.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

The run defense is giving up over a 130 yards per game. 132.2 to be exact.27th in the league. They're also 12th in the league for total points given up by a defense. So middle third.

Fins 87 yds
Sea 154 yds
LV 126 yds
KC 94 yds
Den 135 yds
SF 197 yds

So I don't see how you call that a strength in any way, shape, or form.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bill Belichick would respond "I'm only going to talk about the players that are here." Followed by crickets.

In all seriousness....Damien Harris has some promise. Byrd?

Byrd has some wheels on him. I guess he has the best burst off the line of scrimmage out of every WR in the game. If the Pats had two legitimate receiving targets that the safeties had to worry about, you'd see Byrd getting a fly pattern or two thrown his way every game for a deep gain. Like Dante Stallworth in 2007. But when Harry is useless and Edelman can't run, they can just put a deep safety on Byrd's half of the field and neutralize that.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I'd assume Gilmore is traded, but he's still first on the team in all the measurable for a CB. If he's checked out, it isn't really showing on the field.
The all 22 film albeit I havent watched it, but from writers who have, it looks like Gilmore is completely checked out especially in the run game

Reactions: Maine Fan

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Sunday's matchup between the Buffalo Bills and New England Patriots has quite the different feel, and it's beyond the Patriots being 2-4 and the Bills 5-2.

For the first time since Week 2 of 2015 in Buffalo, the Patriots will not be favored in a division game, as they are currently 3.5-point underdogs. The 30-game streak as betting favorite in division games was the longest active streak by a big margin.

So, are the Patriots still the team to beat in the AFC East?
Patriots safety Devin McCourty was asked that question Wednesday and he doesn't think so.

“They’re first in the division. We’re 2-4,” McCourty said via video conference. "So I definitely won’t call us the team to beat this year. I know me personally, I talk about it every year, it doesn’t matter what’s happened here in the past. I’ve always said that when you talk about the Super Bowls won in the early 2000s, that doesn’t have anything to do with us. Super Bowls won after 2010, that has nothing to do with us.

“I will say right now we’d be crazy to think coming into the game that we’re the team to beat, like they’re No. 1. This is going to be a huge challenge for us on the road, you know, the top team, we’ve got to really bring our A-game coming off three straight losses. So I think for us, our backs are against the wall, we’ve got to go out there and play well.”

McCourty also noted the team can respond well to the losses as well as they can, but all that doesn't matter unless they start winning games.

WOW, how can it be a Must Win game? Why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad