Post-Game Talk: Cam Newton’s Fumble Kills Patriots’ Comeback Bid, Bills Win 24-21

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Given what I have seen from the 3 stooges this year I would gladly take Jimmy back if the price is right. He would be a decent stopgap as you draft and develop a QB behind him. But he ain't young anymore. He's not the long term answer but he's a clear upgrade on Newton. Unless you guys have a different vet to target.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Ryan Fitzpatrick will be available...

I don't think it's an either or. You can bring in someone like that and draft a QB.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Right, weve been through this. Kraft forced Bill to trade Jimmy becauze he was getting ready to move on from Tom. Right decision or not, Bill is supposed to have final say. Bill nearly left after Kraft did that.

We HAVE been through this. I flat-out disagree with your version. That's all.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
On a positive note... my Fish are finally respectable again (for now).

happy for what Flores has been able to do with the culture there. They played their asses off while lacking talent last year, this year they look like a legitimate playoff team. I doubt they’re a serious threat to make any noise this year but they aren’t far off from it- Wouldn’t shock me if they’re leading the division for most of the next decade

Reactions: Blowfish

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I could give a shit. Even if he came back, he'd play 2 games and then get put on IR. :laugh:

You don't think it's a red flag that a team that went to the Super Bowl less than a year ago would cut their starting quarterback? He's not the guy. He never was the guy. BB got lucky he didn't get to hang his hat on JG as the next great one. He'd have looked even more foolish than he does right now whining about salary cap issues and lack of roster depth.
A lot of franchises have done a lot of stupid things. You could argue that the Patriots moved on too soon the year after winning the SB with Brady too. You can also argue that if Shanahan put a little more trust in Jimmy they may have very well won that SB instead of coaching scared

Knowing BB though, if he has the chance to bring back Jimmy, I think it would highly motivate him next year, just like we are seeing a highly motivated Tom in Tampa

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
A lot of franchises have done a lot of stupid things. You could argue that the Patriots moved on too soon the year after winning the SB with Brady too. You can also argue that if Shanahan put a little more trust in Jimmy they may have very well won that SB instead of coaching scared

Knowing BB though, if he has the chance to bring back Jimmy, I think it would highly motivate him next year, just like we are seeing a highly motivated Tom in Tampa

We need a real plan includes drafting a future franchise QB, not rolling the dice on a 30 year old QB who can't stay on the field and might not be in the league for long. I know you think Jimmy G is better than Brady Montana and Marino combined but its not reality, its fantasy land

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Using other team's stupidity to justify the Pats, and really specifically BB's stupidity, doesn't make it any better. His ego got in the way and now we're back to being a suck team.

BB can have a hardon over Jimmy G all he wants. The track record as a player simply isn't good. His injury history is bad and looking to get even worse if he gets season ending surgery like Shannahan was suggesting yesterday.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Using other team's stupidity to justify the Pats, and really specifically BB's stupidity, doesn't make it any better. His ego got in the way and now we're back to being a suck team.

BB can have a hardon over Jimmy G all he wants. The track record as a player simply isn't good. His injury history is bad and looking to get even worse if he gets season ending surgery like Shannahan was suggesting yesterday.
It's not exactly apples to apples because BB plan was to pull the cord on Brady a few years ago and go to Jimmy. So we are never going to get the answer to that question about what Jimmy would have looked like here

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
We need a real plan includes drafting a future franchise QB, not rolling the dice on a 30 year old QB who can't stay on the field and might not be in the league for long. I know you think Jimmy G is better than Brady Montana and Marino combined but its not reality, its fantasy land
They are in a crappy position no doubt. Wish they had either traded Brady a few years ago.or stuck it out to the end with Tom, but I think Kraft knew if he stepped in again and made Bill keep Tom for the 2nd time, he would have lost Bill.

The good news is a handful of QBs have been drafted mid to late first round the last few years and been able to step in year 1 or 2 and be competitive. So I dont think the Pats have to actively try to bottom out, though they may do that on their own anyway

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's not exactly apples to apples because BB plan was to pull the cord on Brady a few years ago and go to Jimmy. So we are never going to get the answer to that question about what Jimmy would have looked like here

Sure we are because we saw it already. He was supposed to start 4 games while Brady was suspended, and he didn't last 2. Since then, season ending surgery once, looks like he's headed back for another one, and lots of games missed. Track records speak for themselves. He's fragile.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

We did though, he got injured on a sack..out 6 weeks? Looked like a sign a things to come

Reactions: LSCII

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Sure we are because we saw it already. He was supposed to start 4 games while Brady was suspended, and he didn't last 2. Since then, season ending surgery once, looks like he's headed back for another one, and lots of games missed. Track records speak for themselves. He's fragile.
No doubt he appears fragile, but im not going to assume his career path would have taken the sams course in san fran has it would have here. That's a bit ridiculous

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No doubt he appears fragile, but im not going to assume his career path would have taken the sams course in san fran has it would have here. That's a bit ridiculous

Look at his time here. He lasted 6 quarters. We all see what we want, but his fragility is very clear at this point regardless of where he's played.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Shannahan knew he was fragile so they took the ball out of his hands. He wouldn't last if he's expected to perform like a QB like Brady who carries the offense week to week. It makes you more likely to take a big hit

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Shannahan knew he was fragile so they took the ball out of his hands. He wouldn't last if he's expected to perform like a QB like Brady who carries the offense week to week. It makes you more likely to take a big hit
Expecting anyone to perform like Brady would have been too much to ask, the production and ability to stay on the field is unheard of. That's why hes the GOAT

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Expecting anyone to perform like Brady would have been too much to ask, the production and ability to stay on the field is unheard of. That's why hes the GOAT

Or any QB expected to carry the offense with his arm. Jimmy is good at handing off and throwing screens, once is a while you let him throw it downfield off play action.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Or any QB expected to carry the offense with his arm. Jimmy is good at handing off and throwing screens, once is a while you let him throw it downfield off play action.
All I've ever said about Jimmy is that he was an average QB, but ive been scolded for that. I dont think its outlandish to suggest that BB would have been able to coach him up a bit and win the division with him

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Look at his time here. He lasted 6 quarters. We all see what we want, but his fragility is very clear at this point regardless of where he's played.
He certainly appears to be, but that doesnt mean he wouldnt be able to play a whole season in the future. No one is saying give him a giant guaranteed contract. The Patriots would have to be very careful about the type of contract they give him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad