Post-Game Talk: Cam Newton’s Fumble Kills Patriots’ Comeback Bid, Bills Win 24-21

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think they have to sweep the Bills if they want the division. They're too far back and would have to rely on the Bills losing every tough game on their schedule the second half. 9-7 won't cut it. We've got a loss coming up against Baltimore, and have to think that one of Arizona or the two LA games will be a loss. That puts us at 6. You've gotta win both those Buffalo games.

They should be selling players for draft choices and probably will be selling.

Reactions: bbfan419

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m ready for the Gun Show. Everybody’s favorite kick returner is gonna be getting a lot of snaps

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
At this point, I'll be pissed if they don't go full tank. WTF is the point in trying to get to 7-9 or 8-8? They're not making the playoffs because this team stinks on ice.
I think the point is if they can clean up on the division (and yes that is a huge assumption mainly that they could beat Buffalo twice) the second half of the season is easier and buffalo gets harder. If they can get to 10 wins and make the playoffs it could restore some faith in the program and the winning culture. I also just dont believe they are going to actively try to lose or just be bad enough to have a top 10 pick.

With that said, if they lose Sunday, the plug is pulled on the season. But that doesnt mean tanking games

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think the point is if they can clean up on the division (and yes that is a huge assumption mainly that they could beat Buffalo twice) the second half of the season is easier and buffalo gets harder. If they can get to 10 wins and make the playoffs it could restore some faith in the program and the winning culture. I also just dont believe they are going to actively try to lose or just be bad enough to have a top 10 pick.

With that said, if they lose Sunday, the plug is pulled on the season. But that doesnt mean tanking games

I get that the schedule is front loaded, but looking at this roster, do you (or anyone else) really see this team as a 10 win, playoff caliber team? If you aren't going to make a realistic run, what's the point?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I get that the schedule is front loaded, but looking at this roster, do you (or anyone else) really see this team as a 10 win, playoff caliber team? If you aren't going to make a realistic run, what's the point?
I think its more likely the Patriots win 9 or 10 games then only 4 or 5. The roster is not great, but I dont expect BB to not try to win games or to not coach yp the team to the best of his ability. The could sell off a piece or two but I dont see them having an pieces worth moving that are going to severely change the outcome of the season

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As much as I like him in a lesser role they have Damiere Byrd as WR1.......it’s over

I’m watching to see growth from the young guys over the rest of the season and to see if Cam can rebound and turn dog turds into gold. I highly doubt he can but I don’t think a lot of QBs would win with this supporting cast. Maybe prime Brady.

Reactions: bbfan419 and LSCII

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
The offense needs to revert back to the first few weeks were Cam was running the ball a lot more. He seems like one of those guys that needs to get into a rhythm and flow of a game by running the ball. He was running the ball double digit attempts. Last week he had 2 designed runs.

Reactions: Mione134 and CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
At this point, I'll be pissed if they don't go full tank. WTF is the point in trying to get to 7-9 or 8-8? They're not making the playoffs because this team stinks on ice.

Even if they somehow managed to make the playoffs, they're not going anywhere in them. The worst thing you can be in sports is mediocre. This team needs a franchise QB. The best way to get one is via a high draft pick. The only way to get that without mortgaging the future is by being bad.

Belichick needs to be willing to sacrifice the present for the future, but I'm not expecting that at this point.

Reactions: LSCII

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Still think we win sunday and we make the playoffs. I've been watching Buffalo, and they've been trash too the past few days.

Go back to what you were doing the first 2 weeks. I expect a more involved team.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Gilmore left practice early because he "tweaked his knee"

Either that's cover for a trade or we just have the worst luck this year. Which I suppose is a just punishment for 20 years of great success.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Even if they somehow managed to make the playoffs, they're not going anywhere in them. The worst thing you can be in sports is mediocre. This team needs a franchise QB. The best way to get one is via a high draft pick. The only way to get that without mortgaging the future is by being bad.

Belichick needs to be willing to sacrifice the present for the future, but I'm not expecting that at this point.

Agreed. Ego and his chase of Shula won't let him do that...

Reactions: KrejciMVP

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm all for pulling a 2020 Red Sox and bottoming out this year, but I don't think this is going to require a long and protracted rebuild either.

Step 1: Trade Gilmore for two seconds or a late first
Step 2: Finish low enough this year to get a pick in the 6-12 overall range
Step 3: Package the Gilmore return with our own pick and work out a deal with either the Bengals or Texans to move up into big-3 QB range, draft Lawrence/Fields/Lance
Step 4: Sign one of the big FA WRs (Juju Smith-Shuster?) with your massive cap space
Step 5: Welcome Hightower/Chung/etc. back from the opt-out

Then you're competitive in 2021 and going forward. The offensive line is good, the defensive backfield will be top-ten even without Gilmore, and you can target areas that need improvement like the defensive line and TE through the draft.

So while this year sucks, I don't see us turning into the Bengals now or anything.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

I get that even if they make the playoffs they arent gunna win the SB, but I dont think you can take the attitude of either, we are a legit SB contender or we have to tank. Its not a realistic mindset. I dont think people realize how easy you can posion the mindset of a teaM and organization. They have built a culture here over the last 20 years and to just throw that out the window because you cant win a SB this season is not the way to go.

People also need to look at some of QBs drafted over the last 10 years. A lot of good QBs have gone in the 1st round, but not necessarily in the top 3. There have been plenty of good QBs that have gone in the mid to late first and even later rounds. Getting a top 3 or 5 pick is not the only way to rebuild this team

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I get that even if they make the playoffs they arent gunna win the SB, but I dont think you can take the attitude of either, we are a legit SB contender or we have to tank. Its not a realistic mindset. I dont think people realize how easy you can posion the mindset of a teaM and organization. They have built a culture here over the last 20 years and to just throw that out the window because you cant win a SB this season is not the way to go.

People also need to look at some of QBs drafted over the last 10 years. A lot of good QBs have gone in the 1st round, but not necessarily in the top 3. There have been plenty of good QBs that have gone in the mid to late first and even later rounds. Getting a top 3 or 5 pick is not the only way to rebuild this team

It is becoming more of a crapshoot than ever

Who are the best QBs in the league right now?

Mahomes, drafted 10th after the terrible Mitch Trubisky
Russell Wilson, drafted in the third round after the likes of Andrew Luck, RGII, and Brandon Weeden went in the first round
Aaron Rodgers, late first
Brady, we all know that story.
Etc.

How often have the top QBs in the draft lived up to the hype in the last 10 years? Kyler Murray may be on his way, and Goff is borderline (though I consider him highly limited and was exposed in the Superbowl). Andrew Luck is a debatable case because he certainly was an elite QB for his short career but considering the early retirement and injury issues along the way, did he live up to the hype leading up to his draft?

Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Luck though, the first to get that real generational QB hype since. Much more of a blue chip than like Baker Mayfield or other top picks who were just the best in bad draft classes.

Reactions: bbfan419 and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It is becoming more of a crapshoot than ever

Who are the best QBs in the league right now?

Mahomes, drafted 10th after the terrible Mitch Trubisky
Russell Wilson, drafted in the third round after the likes of Andrew Luck, RGII, and Brandon Weeden went in the first round
Aaron Rodgers, late first
Brady, we all know that story.
Etc.

How often have the top QBs in the draft lived up to the hype in the last 10 years? Kyler Murray may be on his way, and Goff is borderline (though I consider him highly limited and was exposed in the Superbowl). Andrew Luck is a debatable case because he certainly was an elite QB for his short career but considering the early retirement and injury issues along the way, did he live up to the hype leading up to his draft?

Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Luck though, the first to get that real generational QB hype since. Much more of a blue chip than like Baker Mayfield or other top picks who were just the best in bad draft classes.

It's not just a recent trend either. Goes way back. Rick Mirer taken second by Seattle. David Klingler taken 6th overall by the Bungles. Ryan Leaf taken 2nd overall by the Chargers. And on and on....

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I'm all for pulling a 2020 Red Sox and bottoming out this year, but I don't think this is going to require a long and protracted rebuild either.

Step 1: Trade Gilmore for two seconds or a late first
Step 2: Finish low enough this year to get a pick in the 6-12 overall range
Step 3: Package the Gilmore return with our own pick and work out a deal with either the Bengals or Texans to move up into big-3 QB range, draft Lawrence/Fields/Lance
Step 4: Sign one of the big FA WRs (Juju Smith-Shuster?) with your massive cap space
Step 5: Welcome Hightower/Chung/etc. back from the opt-out

Then you're competitive in 2021 and going forward. The offensive line is good, the defensive backfield will be top-ten even without Gilmore, and you can target areas that need improvement like the defensive line and TE through the draft.

So while this year sucks, I don't see us turning into the Bengals now or anything.

Just one nit. The texans don't have a 1st or 2nd rounder in next year's draft, so they can't be involved in any trade ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad