Management Cam Neely

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Dom, good to know.

In the US, I can honestly say I don't think I have ever seen/heard the Prez of a hockey team do a weekly appearance.

Personally, I think Felger is an asshat, and don't blame Neely for being annoyed with him :laugh:

If that's an issue, they could do it with a less prickly host?

The problem is that's their flagship radio station so probably not.

Felger made a very good point though in that if Neely was there more regularly there wouldn't be so much stored up frustrations. Hell one of the last times he was on they just giggled for a few minutes and ran out of questions because the team was winning.

It comes down to Neely's attitude and approach in these interviews. He simply isn't up for that job. He's not a good front man, he's not doing well in terms of delegating authority and making that clear to people, and most importantly they haven't been improving as an organization since he took that job. He is quite simply, and I think clearly, not up for that job. They should transition him to something that might suit him better and bring in someone more qualified.

I mean some people hated Lucchino and Sinden around these parts when they were Presidents, possibly rightly so, but they could at least navigate interviews. They knew how to use the press to their advantage, and that's a big issue here. The Bruins should look at those interviews as an opportunity to spread their message, whatever it is, rather than as a "painful" chore. His perspective is completely backwards.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Steve Buckley in the Herald unloaded on Cam

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2017/02/buckley_why_wont_cam_neely_take_responsibility

Let’s begin with why Neely was a no-show at the Tuesday morning press conference, which, given that it took place during the Patriots’ championship parade, goes into the books as one of the biggest public relations blunders in Boston sports history.

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney was out there all alone for the press conference, and he mumbled his way through a series of questions before giving way to interim coach Bruce Cassidy.

So, why wasn’t Neely there?

“Well, I don’t know how many presidents are answering that, with their GM when the GM makes a move,†he replied, meekly. “I mean, the thing I don’t understand is why can’t people separate the fact that I’m not the general manager, I’m the president. So, yes, Don has to come to me and say, ‘Here’s what I’m thinking of doing,’ and I either have to say, ‘No, I disagree,’ or, ‘Yes, I agree.’â€

He then repeated that he didn’t feel the need to show up on Tuesday morning.

“It’s fine, so I’m talking now,†he said, referring to his cringe-inducing radio appearance yesterday. “But it’s not on me to go and address the media when the GM fires the coach.â€

Listen up, Cam, and I’ll explain exactly why you should have been at that press conference Tuesday morning. And I’ll start here: You’re not Sam Kennedy, the president of the Red Sox. You’re not Rich Gotham, president of the Celtics. You’re Cam freakin’ Neely, president of the Big, Bad Bruins. Try acting like it for once.

You’re not just the president of the Bruins. You’re the face of the Bruins. You’re a Hall of Famer. You were the team’s top scorer for a decade, and on top of that you were that rare goalscorer who could plow the road with a mere nod. You were talented but you were tough, real tough, and in that spirit we used to say that if you were transported back in time to 1970, you could have walked into the Bruins’ dressing room and instantly bonded with Johnny Bucyk, Wayne Cashman, Pie McKenzie, No. 4 and the rest of those hellcats. And that’s saying something.

Heck, the only reason you stopped playing was because the opposition figured out that the only way to get you off the ice was to level you with a cheap shot of epic proportions.

That’s how good you were, how tough you were, how respected you were.

Now look at you. You’re supposed to be the president of the Bruins yet you act like a miserable little clerk who wants only to duck out of the office to beat the rush hour traffic.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Buckley strikes a nerve when he writes the Bruins President is not some nameless exec that runs the business, he is the face of the Bruins. His main role is to keep the media away from Charlie.

This is the same team that had Charlie announce the draft picks last year. They are getting terrible PR advice.

C4T582dWEAECot_.jpg

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I think one season might be an anomaly, but this has been going on for almost two years now (3rd worst this year, 7th worst last season).

Just strange because two seasons ago they had one of the best home records.

I blame Neely.

That's not really that big of a sample size. That's exactly the length of time to think something means something when it doesn't.

Might there be something to it? Sure, but I think it's just a statistical quirk, and there isn't much difference between what happens at home and what happens on the road.

The only statistically significant reason anyone has ever found is because of the bias of officials towards home teams. There has never been a strong correlation between being better at home other than that. The Bruins never seem to benefit from the officials--on a grand scale, not individual games--so maybe that's why the home record sucks this year? But honestly, if they were really good three seasons ago, but are equally as bad since, that seems like reverting to the mean to me.

Hence nothing much to their home record.

You can go back even before the 2011 Stanley Cup winning season. Their home record didn't necessarily suck, but more often than not, it has been not as good as their away record.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Many here feel Jimmy Murphy is a hack reporter but he has also earned the trust of TSN in Canada so that has to be considered.

He did a long interview with Mitch Melneck on CKGM Montreal yesterday afternoon and he laid out what happened on Tuesday and the major brush back from 2 of the biggest Bruins sponsors and also mentioned by name the Bruins executive who seems to be telling Cam what to do.

I had the same information 2 days ago and told the other Mods in a PM what I had heard. I didn't post it because I did not want to compromise my source at the Bruins.

The Bruins are in danger of losing their two biggest corporate sponsors as both no longer want to be associated with Bozo's Big Top. But now it has been aired on radio in Canada so just listen and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/murphy-bruins-absolutely-were-hiding-behind-the-parade-1.668181

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Many here feel Jimmy Murphy is a hack reporter but he has also earned the trust of TSN in Canada so that has to be considered.

He did a long interview with Mitch Melneck on CKGM Montreal yesterday afternoon and he laid out what happened on Tuesday and the major brush back from 2 of the biggest Bruins sponsors and also mentioned by name the Bruins executive who seems to be telling Cam what to do.

I had the same information 2 days ago and told the other Mods in a PM what I had heard. I didn't post it because I did not want to compromise my source at the Bruins.

The Bruins are in danger of losing their two biggest corporate sponsors as both no longer want to be associated with Bozo's Big Top. But now it has been aired on radio in Canada so just listen and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/murphy-bruins-absolutely-were-hiding-behind-the-parade-1.668181

ouch again

wish I had sources, trying to avoid the alternative facts I keep spewing out:D

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
F&M asked tough but totally fair questions, without badgering or insulting.

From what I watched,albeit a few minutes, Cam would be answering one question, then Felger would interupt him mid-answer to ask another. Should let Cam finish his question and then ask the follow up.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Jimmy Murphy IS a hack reporter. When Kessel had cancer he came on this board (before the diagnosis was announced) and insinuated that it was a substance abuse problem. He later deleted the post and denied saying it, but I saw it, read the post and know he was a lying sack of ****.

Now if you don't have an issue with character assassination without proof, then I guess you wouldn't have an issue with Murphy.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Jimmy Murphy IS a hack reporter. When Kessel had cancer he came on this board (before the diagnosis was announced) and insinuated that it was a substance abuse problem. He later deleted the post and denied saying it, but I saw it, read the post and know he was a lying sack of ****.

Now if you don't have an issue with character assassination without proof, then I guess you wouldn't have an issue with Murphy.

not sure I was on the board at that time but he was still posting when I jumped on and man, some of his posts were horrific, no different than many of my posts but I`m not someone who`s career is writing/following/reporting on the game

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

He has made mistakes without a doubt.

But the Bruins for years have been very good at planting false rumors out there hoping somebody will bite.

In the past year the Bruns have lost major sponsors in Cumberland Farms/Gulf and Alex & Ani. Cumberland had been with them since the 80's. Today the team has numerous dasher ads from companies in China.

Right now the Bruins are turning into the biggest clown show in Boston sports since Victor Kiam owned the Patriots.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Buckley strikes a nerve when he writes the Bruins President is not some nameless exec that runs the business, he is the face of the Bruins. His main role is to keep the media away from Charlie.

This is the same team that had Charlie announce the draft picks last year. They are getting terrible PR advice.

C4T582dWEAECot_.jpg

I have already said multiple times I think Neely should have been at the press conference.

However, I'm not a big fan of Buckley. The only time I ever see him commenting on the B's is when he takes them to task for something. Also, he does a **** poor job of explaining why he feels Neely should be at a press conference like Tuesdays, but it would be OK for Sam Kennedy to not be at a similar one for the Sox (they should both be at a press conference firing the coach).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

The link is taking me to TSN's site map.

If the radio link won't work, can we get a name. Murphy put it out there.

Does is rhyme with Arry?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Which is exactly what they've said they're trying to do, so I don't buy the whole mixed-message complaint.

They've said they want to be competitive now, while planning for the future.

You can say that's difficult, and you'd be right. You can say that's the wrong way to go about it, and that's your opinion.

As someone pointed out, Chicago's done it, few others have.

But, again, they've stated it....it's not a mixed message.

To me:

Top Boss saying he expects a "deep playoff run" means he wants and expects a contender for the Cup -- now.

Yet the President says "Donny and Claude disagreed about going with younger players" at the same time acknowledging that if you do that, you have to live with mistakes.

Add to that this management team going into season with an AHL defense and not correcting horrible back-up keeper situation mid season when it was clearly apparent, it suggests that it was management, not Julien, who missed the message.

Either that or this management team is afraid to tell the Emporer he has no clothes.

Julien probably needed to go. However, if you have him as your coach and mandate a deep playoff run don't be surprised if Julien relies on veterans as much as possible and plays a defensive system. Is that a fault? Maybe. It most certainly isn't a surprise though.

Julien isn't some sort of mystery. Like him or not - think he's a good fit for this team or not..... he is and has been consistent in his approach.

Ownership is on Mars with their expectations. Not sure if Cam and Donny agree with those expectations. If they did/do perhaps giving coach (Julien or Cassidy) some help on D and at least an average back-up keeper might have been a prudent thing to consider.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The link is taking me to TSN's site map.

If the radio link won't work, can we get a name. Murphy put it out there.

Does is rhyme with Arry?

The link is working

or this

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/shows/melnick-in-the-afternoon-1.52953

It isn't Harry but it is a person who worked in the front office with both Harry and MOC and is still there in a lessor role today.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

But the Bruins for years have been very good at planting false rumors out there hoping somebody will bite.

In the past year the Bruns have lost major sponsors in Cumberland Farms/Gulf and Alex & Ani. Cumberland had been with them since the 80's. Today the team has numerous dasher ads from companies in China.

Right now the Bruins are turning into the biggest clown show in Boston sports since Victor Kiam owned the Patriots.

If them losing sponsors is what it takes to get some needed changes over at the Garden, is this a bad thing? You seem to feel that Neely is the root of the majority of the problems on Causeway, so if he takes the fall for the loss of sponsorship, isn't that a good thing?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Maybe they can get Friendlys back and have Hayes star in the commercial.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The D is not strong, but I wouldn't call it AHL caliber by any stretch.

And I think most people thought Khudobin would be an adequate backup.

I don't take some of the stuff Jacobs says at face value. I could have djone without the comment, but what was he going to say, we are going to suck this year? I don't necessarily take it as management being confused, just JJ feeling the need to open his mouth.

Clode is a good/great coach, just not right fit for this team right now. I think if Sweeney is left alone to rebuild everything will be fine.

1). Fair enough -- I was guilty of hyperbole on D. That said it is not a good D and certainly not that of a contender. Going in to season most considered it among bottom in League.

2). Khudobin was expected to be better, but clearly was not. Still, most of way through season management has done nothing to rectify the situation. I submit that finding top D man is brutally hard. However if your management can't find a back-up that can deliver more than one win, well deep playoff run my ass.

3). You may not take stuff JJ says at face value -- neither do I. However if the guy that owns your company makes a public mandate, and you're already on hot seat, and your dismiss it? Well you've got bigger balls than me (and Claude it seems).:laugh:

I agree we'll be likely ok if Sweeney is allowed to carry things out. But make no mistake, management needs to get their act together -- including muzzling JJ and, I suspect, Harry Sinden.

Not trying to fight, but I am strongly in camp that this management team needs to MASSIVELY improve their performance and start being realistic, transparent, and organized.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If them losing sponsors is what it takes to get some needed changes over at the Garden, is this a bad thing? You seem to feel that Neely is the root of the majority of the problems on Causeway, so if he takes the fall for the loss of sponsorship, isn't that a good thing?

Losing Bob's as a sponsor would be a major hit for both the Bruins and NESN.

One year ago Bob's expanded into Chicago and paid a small fortune to get good placement on Hawks games.

Cam was originally hired to wine and dine the sponsors to help out Charlie.

Ownership blinked yesterday when for 3 hours they said no refunds for last night and then they said tickets could be exchanged for a future game in 2017 so they are hearing the anger from the fans.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The link is working

or this

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/shows/melnick-in-the-afternoon-1.52953

It isn't Harry but it is a person who worked in the front office with both Harry and MOC and is still there in a lessor role today.

The link worked thanks Fenway.

More ghosts from the past still haunting this franchise, now just a new name to add to the front office nitwit pile.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Losing Bob's as a sponsor would be a major hit for both the Bruins and NESN.

One year ago Bob's expanded into Chicago and paid a small fortune to get good placement on Hawks games.

Cam was originally hired to wine and dine the sponsors to help out Charlie.

Ownership blinked yesterday when for 3 hours they said no refunds for last night and then they said tickets could be exchanged for a future game in 2017 so they are hearing the anger from the fans.

And...you still didn't answer the question. If Cam is the root of all evil at TD Banknorth Garden, then isn't it a good thing he's on the hot-seat over sponsors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad