Management Cam Neely

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
1) Unless you've gone and checked for every USA hockey gm's appearances,you don't know that they don't appear regularly.

2) Even if it's true that others don't, you are assuming that the reason is that the GM's don't want to do it, rather than looking at it the other and more logical way: the radio stations don't want to do it because there is not enough interest.

3) Again, what other NHL gm's do is completely irrelevant. Cam isn't in the Columbus market. He's in the Boston market and the standards for the fanbase here and the media here is what he's held to, not the standards of the Sunrise, Florida market. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that.

Why is it that the fact that the "sports" are different means a GM shouldn't answer to the fans. You're reaching to reflexively defend the front office. There's nothing "different" about hockey that suggests the GM shouldn't answer questions.

Ainge does it, Belichick does it, Dombrowski does it. Sweeney should do it but hides so that leaves Cam who isn't good at it.

4) Felger isn't adversarial at all. Minihane is a much tougher interviewer. Asking questions isn't adversarial, it's the job.

Isn't Felger the one who is banned from the Garden, and maybe, just maybe, that slot that Cam HAS is the only availability on their flagship?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
1) Unless you've gone and checked for every USA hockey gm's appearances,you don't know that they don't appear regularly.

2) Even if it's true that others don't, you are assuming that the reason is that the GM's don't want to do it, rather than looking at it the other and more logical way: the radio stations don't want to do it because there is not enough interest.

3) Again, what other NHL gm's do is completely irrelevant. Cam isn't in the Columbus market. He's in the Boston market and the standards for the fanbase here and the media here is what he's held to, not the standards of the Sunrise, Florida market. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that.

Why is it that the fact that the "sports" are different means a GM shouldn't answer to the fans. You're reaching to reflexively defend the front office. There's nothing "different" about hockey that suggests the GM shouldn't answer questions.

Ainge does it, Belichick does it, Dombrowski does it. Sweeney should do it but hides so that leaves Cam who isn't good at it.

4) Felger isn't adversarial at all. Minihane is a much tougher interviewer. Asking questions isn't adversarial, it's the job.

John Davidson regularly does local TV/Radio and appears nationally in Canada and the USA on NHL Network, does Prime Time Sports out of Toronto (just yesterday http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/john-davidson-pts/) and Stellick and Simmer podcasts.

Number one is so true.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fenway said that may here consider Murphy a hack but that TSN trusts him. As far as I could tell he was using Murphy as confirmation for what he had heard. I posted what Murphy said 8 years ago because for me, that type of BS has no statute of limitations and I will never find the guy credible.

That was my one and only point.

This is exactly right, Joe. **** Murph and his clickbait crap he used to post here. 99.9% of his garbage turned out to be wrong or flat out never happened. And the Kessel drug abuse garbage was his last straw with me. Even if he has the story right in this case, I consider him tainted as a source and don't buy anything he says until another outlet has it and it's been confirmed by 3rd parties. That's what you get for rushing to a story and incorrectly labeling a player as being a substance abuser when he's actually got cancer.

In terms of the Felger and Mazz interview, I thought they came off really well in it. They were tough but respectful and not over the top. The person who came off looking really bad in that interview was Cam. Guy has no business running a business and it shows.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm in my 50's and I swear Heidi Holland was there when I was a kid or teen going with my parents

What is MAJOR disturbing if true is that Matt Chmura presented to T-H-E-M the best possible course under the circumstances and SOMEONE eschewed that and found Heidi Holland with what they ended up doing

It's really simple

You show accountability and unity and you face the music

Here is how I do unpleasantries :laugh:

If I'm Neely I

have the press conference like Chmura wanted at 4

You show up

You adopt a mind set for ONE HOUR you will deal with this with class composure humility honesty - you will thank Claude and you show as much sincerity as possible the failure is at no one man's feet but shared

ONE flipping HOUR that's it

This is a fireable offense and not just for Heidi Holland

Sweeney has a hard enough job and he's pushed out there to take more of a pounding

Also Charlie Jacobs should have identified this and stepped in

Horrible

I want Cassidy to do well but I'm afraid is they go 20-7 this ridiculous display on Tuesday may get lost

A fish rots from the head down

And oh yah, shout out to Domstronaumus who told me this when times were good

Dom told me he loves Cam as a player but he was skeptical of where he was at on the mast head

i feel bad for Sweeney I hope like hell they are paying him a ridiculous amount for what he's dealing with

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is exactly right, Joe. **** Murph and his clickbait crap he used to post here. 99.9% of his garbage turned out to be wrong or flat out never happened. And the Kessel drug abuse garbage was his last straw with me. Even if he has the story right in this case, I consider him tainted as a source and don't buy anything he says until another outlet has it and it's been confirmed by 3rd parties. That's what you get for rushing to a story and incorrectly labeling a player as being a substance abuser when he's actually got cancer.

In terms of the Felger and Mazz interview, I thought they came off really well in it. They were tough but respectful and not over the top. The person who came off looking really bad in that interview was Cam. Guy has no business running a business and it shows.

My old man was tight with Conway, I know or knew the Hollands and I talked to folks about what is going on. Murphy in my mind did a fantastic job identifying this - it went pretty much what I heard prior to listening- he clearly had a good source

Just because you may not like him doesn't mean everything he says should be discarded

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here think what you want but Murphy to this HF bottom 6er did a great job

And it's not about Murphy or who's right here or who isn't it's about a downright embarrassing week in the history of the Boston Bruins

I'm stunned the Clint Eastwood of hockey Cam Neely was not at that press conference and defended it

I must be a moron to think that was cool

As a season ticket holder for 30+ Years and the biggest Cam Neely fan I wanted better

And Charlie Jacobs has the ultimate power where was he at least in a philosophical sense to the way it went down

Sweeney is someone I like and defend but I now feel pity

By the way his draft pick JFK I saw last night at Tsongas Arena is a stud. I hope he gets to see him actually play for Boston.

Bring on Maria from Watertown - Maria Unplugged at 9:15:laugh:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm in my 50's and I swear Heidi Holland was there when I was a kid or teen going with my parents

What is MAJOR disturbing if true is that Matt Chmura presented to T-H-E-M the best possible course under the circumstances and SOMEONE eschewed that and found Heidi Holland with what they ended up doing

It's really simple

You show accountability and unity and you face the music

Here is how I do unpleasantries :laugh:

If I'm Neely I

have the press conference like Chmura wanted at 4

You show up

You adopt a mind set for ONE HOUR you will deal with this with class composure humility honesty - you will thank Claude and you show as much sincerity as possible the failure is at no one man's feet but shared

ONE flipping HOUR that's it

This is a fireable offense and not just for Heidi Holland

Sweeney has a hard enough job and he's pushed out there to take more of a pounding

Also Charlie Jacobs should have identified this and stepped in

Horrible

I want Cassidy to do well but I'm afraid is they go 20-7 this ridiculous display on Tuesday may get lost

A fish rots from the head down

And oh yah, shout out to Domstronaumus who told me this when times were good

Dom told me he loves Cam as a player but he was skeptical of where he was at on the mast head

i feel bad for Sweeney I hope like hell they are paying him a ridiculous amount for what he's dealing with

They could go 2-25 and none of Neely, Holland, Sinden, Sweeney, JFJ, etc. etc. are going anywhere or are going to have any less influence then they have today.

This organization and leadership are simply too full of themselves to ever believe they are a bunch of ****** ups.

It will take at least another year of this nonsense and poor on-ice product before we see any real change in this organization ala 2006.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They could go 2-25 and none of Neely, Holland, Sinden, Sweeney, JFJ, etc. etc. are going anywhere or are going to have any less influence then they have today.

This organization and leadership are simply too full of themselves to ever believe they are a bunch of ****** ups.

It will take at least another year of this nonsense and poor on-ice product before we see any real change in this organization ala 2006.

Not so sure we shall see

The bad pub the sponser situation

Sinden is in Florida and is like 83? but sounds like he has former faithful employees still in place

Maybe if Holland is not the port in a storm that Neely found the Bruins would have had the PC at 4 as Chmura suggested

However logic dictates Neely would not have shown at 4, 5, 6

Papa Jacobs must be incensed and he's going to act on this

He's in the business of making money not catering to former icons

My opinion

Holland will be retiring soon

Neely I'm feeling will not be in this spot next year

An outsider will come in as President and not a former player

Sweeney will be more media accessible next season

You will become a huge JFK fan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not so sure we shall see

The bad pub the sponser situation

Sinden is in Florida and is like 83? but sounds like he has former faithful employees still in place

Maybe if Holland is not the port in a storm that Neely found the Bruins would have had the PC at 4 as Chmura suggested

However logic dictates Neely would not have shown at 4, 5, 6

Papa Jacobs must be incensed and he's going to act on this

He's in the business of making money not catering to former icons

My opinion

Holland will be retiring soon

Neely I'm feeling will not be in this spot next year

An outsider will come in as President and not a former player

Sweeney will be more media accessible next season

You will become a huge JFK fan

The sponsor situation, if anything, might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I'm not a Sweeney fan, you know this.

But

But

If Cam is shown the door, and Sweeney isn't going with him, then just give Sweeney the complete authority to run the entire hockey ops side of the business, the on-ice product, as he sees fit. None of this having to get his moves approved by a President. Give him an operating budget, and let him do his thing. If they need a rubber stamp, a formality, for legal purposes give that rubber stamp to Charlie Jacobs.

Hire a qualified business person to operate the business-side of the operation. Sponsors, TV, marketing, sales, etc. Like you said not some former NHL player who hasn't seen the inside of a classroom in 25-30 years.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
He has made mistakes without a doubt.

But the Bruins for years have been very good at planting false rumors out there hoping somebody will bite.

In the past year the Bruns have lost major sponsors in Cumberland Farms/Gulf and Alex & Ani. Cumberland had been with them since the 80's. Today the team has numerous dasher ads from companies in China.

Right now the Bruins are turning into the biggest clown show in Boston sports since Victor Kiam owned the Patriots.

He isnt allowed/ welcome here * for cause.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The sponsor situation, if anything, might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

But

But

If Cam is shown the door, and Sweeney isn't going with him, then just give Sweeney the complete authority to run the entire hockey ops side of the business, the on-ice product, as he sees fit. None of this having to get his moves approved by a President. Give him an operating budget, and let him do his thing. If they need a rubber stamp, a formality, for legal purposes give that rubber stamp to Charlie Jacobs.

Hire a qualified business person to operate the business-side of the operation. Sponsors, TV, marketing, sales, etc. Like you said not some former NHL player who hasn't seen the inside of a classroom in 25-30 years.

Excellent post

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

But

But

This is nuts on as to what should be done IMO.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is nuts on as to what should be done IMO.

It really is

Wally, Jeremy Jacobs sees his team and its President/face written in the paper as gutless and unaccountable

Your top 2 sponsors have been reported to be unhappy

Your team is heading towards a third DNQ

Jeremy Jacobs is a business man who's philosophy is to hire the best possible managers in his business and let them perform and the bottom line will be a measuring point

No way Cam survives this

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

But

But

I will join the others who agree completely with what you've posted. This is the only logical path. Hopefully Jacobs has seen enough blowback to let Cam go (loved you as a player and still do as a human helping sick kids and their families) and tell Harry, Heidi, and whoever else to keep advice and opinions to themselves.

Let Sweeney run the show (whole hockey ops show) and let's see where we go.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

But

But

Spot on dude. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I will join the others who agree completely with what you've posted. This is the only logical path. Hopefully Jacobs has seen enough blowback to let Cam go (loved you as a player and still do as a human helping sick kids and their families) and tell Harry, Heidi, and whoever else to keep advice and opinions to themselves.

Let Sweeney run the show (whole hockey ops show) and let's see where we go.

And take a flamethrower to every position held by a Sinden syncophant just to be sure. The guy's influence is absolute poison. :madfire:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My old man was tight with Conway, I know or knew the Hollands and I talked to folks about what is going on. Murphy in my mind did a fantastic job identifying this - it went pretty much what I heard prior to listening- he clearly had a good source

Just because you may not like him doesn't mean everything he says should be discarded

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here think what you want but Murphy to this HF bottom 6er did a great job

And it's not about Murphy or who's right here or who isn't it's about a downright embarrassing week in the history of the Boston Bruins

I'm stunned the Clint Eastwood of hockey Cam Neely was not at that press conference and defended it

I must be a moron to think that was cool

As a season ticket holder for 30+ Years and the biggest Cam Neely fan I wanted better

And Charlie Jacobs has the ultimate power where was he at least in a philosophical sense to the way it went down

Sweeney is someone I like and defend but I now feel pity

By the way his draft pick JFK I saw last night at Tsongas Arena is a stud. I hope he gets to see him actually play for Boston.

Bring on Maria from Watertown - Maria Unplugged at 9:15:laugh:

I get that he has sources and that he was correct in this case, Dan. It's not about that. It's about the lack of credibility he has here because of the million other things that he got wrong or floated just to get people to click on his articles, and then pissed and moaned about being held accountable when it was proven incorrect. If he got stuff wrong, but also was decent about it, that would be one thing. He wasn't. He was a pain in the ass and whined if you disagreed with him. I may not like Haggs all that much, and I may disagree with pretty much everything KPD ever wrote, but those guys at least defended themselves and their views. Murph never did. All you got from him was the old "do you know who I am?" line and how he had "connections" and the posters here didn't. :laugh:

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia

But

But

Question, BD, for you & the people that agreed with your post: What has Sweeney done, on the NHL-player evaluation level, to make you so confident that he's the one that should turn this ship around?

In his time in Boston, many more of the NHL-level moves have been misses rather than hits, with a few "TBD"s mixed in. Were all of the bad moves done with Neely's urging/involvement (if so, that paints Sweeney almost as a puppet or pawn) or were they orchestrated by Sweeney first & foremost?

I'm not necessarily averse to keeping Sweeney around if (and hopefully when) the Presidency situation shakes itself out in the off-season - I just don't know why people are so gung-ho for him to be the decision maker. I honestly would need a cleaner breakdown of what his moves are, what Neely's moves are, etc, before really deciding if I have faith in Sweeney to be the long-term solution; because as of now, I'm not overly confident in him as a GM/Hockey Ops guru.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm all for removing vagueness around who makes decisions for this team. That's how accountability gets lost.

Give the authority to one person and let them be responsible for it all, take the credit and the criticism without bias either way.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Not a tough gig for Davidson, though. Considering he was a broadcaster (and a Foster Hewitt Award winner at that) for much longer than he's been an executive.

It wasn't about quality....

It was a point that there is at least one (American Team) prez that makes himself available regularly. I'm sure if I research the other 21 team presidents, I'll find more.

I picked Davidson/Columbus because Doc said "Boston isn't Columbus." I found that funny

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
So trying to put together a timeline so it all makes sense.

Sometime between the end of the Toronto game on Saturday, and the end of the day Monday, the decision is made by the management group and ownership to fire Julien.

Can't do it Sunday or Monday because all the players are off so they say.

Matt C., the PR guy, advises making the announcement at 4 PM on Tuesday after the SB parade is over.

Heidi Holland, a old PR crony of the Sinden/MOC era who has weaseled her way back into a position of influence, advises the opposite, and says it's best to make the announcement when the parade starts to deflect away negativity.

Cam Neely agrees, and orders Don Sweeney to make the announcement Tuesday morning at 8 AM and schedule the presser to begin during the parade and not after.

Two key sponsors get wind of this, and as they are also business partners of the Patriots, get very upset at how this is being handled, and threaten to pull out as sponsors. Dunkin Donuts, does not want their logo used as part of the back-drop while Sweeney has his presser.

Don does his presser alone.

Cam and Charlie Jr. are hastily trying to win back the two major sponsors who shell out big time bucks for the promotion of their respective brands. I have no idea if they were successful winning the sponsors back.

Sound about right?

And you know what is funny. This Heidi Holland person, whose ****poor advice that 99% of people acknowledge totally back-fired and made the Bruins look worse not better, and may have or almost cost the Bruins two of their major sponsors and thus millions of dollars in revenue, will likely still be in a position of influence when this is all said and done, with this management group and ownership believing this was all handled the right way.

When in reality, a PR blunder of this magnitude she should be shown the door.

If this is true, I can't see Cam keeping his job. I actually am looking forward to seeing him fired. It used to just be about his incompetence, but now, after his cowardly handling of everything on this firing, I think it's now a matter of just deserts.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It wasn't about quality....

It was a point that there is at least one (American Team) prez that makes himself available regularly. I'm sure if I research the other 21 team presidents, I'll find more.

I picked Davidson/Columbus because Doc said "Boston isn't Columbus." I found that funny

I only meant that as a sports/media market. Columbus is mainly a college town where OSU is king. For example, look at the front page of the sports section of the Columbus Dispatch: http://www.dispatch.com/sports

With a team better than the bruins, in a media market without a super bowl winning team, a beloved baseball team about to start spring training, and a playoff bound pro bball team..... the Jackets are below OSU hockey, OSU basketball, OSU swimming and right there with HS athletes of the week.

In fact, I'd say this is EXACTLY why Davidson tries to be such a media presence. It's because (IMO) he's trying to drum up more interest in the team. I don't think the market has a huge appetite for CBJ news.

Neely is in a market where there's a bit more of a demand.... for now. If the B's miss the playoffs again he may end up being in Davidson's shoes of having to go out and drum up interest in a team that's 4th in the market.

But I'd say we pretty much agree on general points. If not "weekly", many, if not most, NHL teams have a front office person who appears regularly in local media. It's the smart way to run a business.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I hope it isn't an issue quoting from another board, but worth reading. These two posts on SOSH were spot on about Neely:

"I'm sure you guys are aware, but Neely used to do weekly interviews last year with F&M. Each week would get increasingly more uncomfortable and ended with Neely getting pissed and dropping an F-bomb on the air. Thursday's interview was the first this season"

To which another posted responded:

"The problem is that I think he takes the questions too personally. He needs to learn how to come up with standard corporate responses like Farrell does. Or he can just grunt and give limited answers like Belichick. But you get the sense Neely actually lost sleep fretting over the interviews.

His problem is that when he gets asked a hard question, which he should know is coming and be prepared for, he has no answers to them. Not in the normal give a non-answer filled with PR mumbo jumbo, but nothing to say at all. Instead he gets angry. And that is bad. Because it means he doesn't have many answers to the Bruins problems, and he's not smart enough to hide it, which means he's probably not smart enough to solve problems. That this guy could shove his way into the top role in a front office shows just how terrible the Jacobs are as owners. Are they just not asking him questions about this stuff (because they don't really care), or are they listening to his answers and thinking they are good?"

Personally, in spite of the obvious turn around this week, I wouldn't let Neely off the hook. He has absolutely no business being in an executive position at all.

Think about this: There isn't one other team in the league that would hire him for any other position and he's the president of the Boston Bruins.

Not good.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Question, BD, for you & the people that agreed with your post: What has Sweeney done, on the NHL-player evaluation level, to make you so confident that he's the one that should turn this ship around?

In his time in Boston, many more of the NHL-level moves have been misses rather than hits, with a few "TBD"s mixed in. Were all of the bad moves done with Neely's urging/involvement (if so, that paints Sweeney almost as a puppet or pawn) or were they orchestrated by Sweeney first & foremost?

I'm not necessarily averse to keeping Sweeney around if (and hopefully when) the Presidency situation shakes itself out in the off-season - I just don't know why people are so gung-ho for him to be the decision maker. I honestly would need a cleaner breakdown of what his moves are, what Neely's moves are, etc, before really deciding if I have faith in Sweeney to be the long-term solution; because as of now, I'm not overly confident in him as a GM/Hockey Ops guru.

I'm not. I suppose that's part of the point.

Even if I haven't been impressed with his work thus far, it comes down to two philosophies.

1) People can learn from their mistakes, grow, and evolve in whatever line of work they are in, provided they put in the effort. Even hall-of-fame GMs learned as they went along, doubtful many had it all figured out from Day 1.

2) It comes down to a vision, building a hockey ops division, to me, it's like a work of art. I think the person in charge needs to be free to mold and shape the make-up and culture of what he is creating without his/her hands being tied by someone up above them who may have a slightly different vision. What Cam Neely does for Don Sweeney is micro-managing. I don't like a person at the level of GM of a NHL team being micro-managed, because if he needs to be micro-managed, he shouldn't be in that role.

If Don Sweeney can outlast Cam, instead of showing him the door too, give him the keys to the castle and let him try and finish what he started without the handcuffs of a micro-managing Team President.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm not. I suppose that's part of the point.

Even if I haven't been impressed with his work thus far, it comes down to two philosophies.

1) People can learn from their mistakes, grow, and evolve in whatever line of work they are in, provided they put in the effort. Even hall-of-fame GMs learned as they went along, doubtful many had it all figured out from Day 1.

2) It comes down to a vision, building a hockey ops division, to me, it's like a work of art. I think the person in charge needs to be free to mold and shape the make-up and culture of what he is creating without his/her hands being tied by someone up above them who may have a slightly different vision. What Cam Neely does for Don Sweeney is micro-managing. I don't like a person at the level of GM of a NHL team being micro-managed, because if he needs to be micro-managed, he shouldn't be in that role.

If Don Sweeney can outlast Cam, instead of showing him the door too, give him the keys to the castle and let him try and finish what he started without the handcuffs of a micro-managing Team President.

This is extremely well said :handclap: I have a higher opinion of Sweeney that you do but however you feel about the man, he deserves a chance at the job without interference. I like where he wants to take the team and his vision for it (as much as he has articulated) and he should be given a chance to put it in place. Let him stand or fall on his own merits as GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad