Boston Herald Cam Neely weighs in on state of Bruins

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don’t mind holding on to young guys with promise, but they have too many small softer skilled players. Need more guys that are fearless and go for it. Pastrnak was never a banger but he put more of that into his game and it made him elite.

Need more guys with game in their step like DeBrusk and Carlo, I like the heady two way players they picked up but I’d look to get some forwards with size and room to grow their skill game between now and through the draft

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Habs aren’t doing so swell either

The bruins could do better but I’ll wait until everyone is back and they go a month together. We need more from those in now of course but our division is not what it used to be, I wouldn’t discount that

The habs were a projected lottery team sitting in the 2nd wild card mostly bc of the Domi trade. Tatar chipping in with 22 points helps too. They also treaded water until Weber returned who is having an instant impact. Bottom line, these trades helped them. Neely meanwhile is whining.

I bet GMs around the league can't wait to rip off the Bruins..they've proven they are gullible

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Colt.45Orr

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The habs were a projected lottery team sitting in the 2nd wild card mostly bc of the Domi trade. Tatar chipping in with 22 points helps too. Bottom line, these trades helped them. Neely meanwhile is whining.

I bet GMs around the league can't wait to rip off the Bruins..they've proven they are gullible

Yea that last bit I can agree with, which is why they’re in a tight spot

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
At some point they will have to deal their stockpiled prospects or watch them die on the vine. Diminishing returns.

We’ve seen it referenced there’s a lot of group think, decisions by consensus ; I’ve got to wonder if that’s becoming a detriment.

Not a reactionary post. Just not things I’ve been public about.
So there’s no other option but to see our prospects “die on the vine” if they’re not traded? Isn’t it possible that one or more of them will mature and develop into solid regulars on this team?

It’s frustrating, I know, to watch the team struggle while it tries to bring these kids into a higher level of confidence and productivity.
But watching the talent that Bjork and Donato have and how they can impact future Bruins teams calls some of us to be patient a while longer.

There are also prospects on the Providence roster that may be ready providing the FO can cut away some of the deadwood to open up opportunities for them,.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
I'm all for making changes but its true what they say you need 2 to tango . Other GMs know bruins are desperate and they would make us overpay, not to mention aside from krug there isn't really that much value that we can give . We all overvalue our prospect pool and some roster players to some extent . I do believe it is harder to make a deal than we all imagine

Reactions: BMC and BigGoalBrad

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I predict Sweeney will be the fall guy as the other 2 save their hides. Donny might give us some insight who really does at that point
Wouldn't Papa Jacobs put some Blame on Nealy this time He was the President during the Julien/Chiarelli Days

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The teams around us in the standings are TRASH. Mtl, Buffalo, NYR, Carolina aren't good squads. Ever since the loser point has entered the NHL there has been so much parity that prior to the New Year 27/28 teams are in playoff contention only 2-3 are sellers. I don't think we could make a deal we'd like right now.

Weather the storm and let guys come back and shift the role players down.

Whats Stempniak doing? Didn't we keep him around after camp in case of a situation like this? I'd sign him tomorrow it was only 2 years ago we gave up a 2nd for him and he doesn't rely on speed I am sure hes better than Backes right now.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
But guys need to be sent a message there is no accountability.

I'd put Backes in the pressbox for 10 games just because.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
But guys need to be sent a message there is no accountability.

I'd put Backes in the pressbox for 10 games just because.
I kind of think he’s been the best of their 2 4th line groupings lately! Low bar sure. But still.

Reality is they needed 2 of Bjork, Donato or Heinen to hit the ground running and it didn’t happen. They should all be in Providence right now.

I do agree with the shakeup idea. You can’t tell me a 4th liner hockey trade isn’t possible. Or that you’re worried what Kuraly or Acciari might become someday.

Still think anything significant will happen around the deadline.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Another ****ing excuse.

Can't make trades in the offseason, because you have to see what you have. Can't trade the abundance of young players, because they might be good. Can't trade when healthy because they're working things out. Can't trade while injured because they may have to pay more.

Can't trade when doing well. Can't trade when playing poorly.

One excuse after another for not utilizing the trade market to make any significant additions. Same song now for five years.

Man I love this post.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There are so unknows right now and first and foremost is McAvoy. He could be back in 2 weeks, 2 months, next year or never.

McAvoy's brain is still developing ( in men the age given is 25 ) but I am guessing Sweeney hopes to have more info on Charlie before he starts making deals. There also is the possibility the kids are not as good as they thought. Believing in the kids got Hextall fired in Philly.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
What's the harm in bringing the next batch of kids senyshyn federic etc. A hail Mary works once in a blue moon. I saw it live once with Aaron Rodgers against Detroit. It happens.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
You guys remember when we traded Seguin for what amounted to nothing and then didn’t draft BPA twice in 2015 (both of which would be impact players)? We all do and now on top of it all, this management is gun shy to trade to fix their mistakes. We could have had those exact positions had they put no thought into anything. We’re going to be in mediocre purgatory for a little while wasting away Bergerons prime years while the teams in our path to the cup get better. 1st round exits for the foreseeable future with this mindset from management.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
There are so unknows right now and first and foremost is McAvoy. He could be back in 2 weeks, 2 months, next year or never.

McAvoy's brain is still developing ( in men the age given is 25 ) but I am guessing Sweeney hopes to have more info on Charlie before he starts making deals. There also is the possibility the kids are not as good as they thought. Believing in the kids got Hextall fired in Philly.
They have a nice combination of not as good as they thought and not as ready as they thought.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They have a nice combination of not as good as they thought and not as ready as they thought.

The Atlantic is going to be a very hard division to advance from for the next few years.

Of course as a WC they could cross over but if the season ended today

upload_2018-12-6_0-27-7.png

:help:

Reactions: dafoomie

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Atlantic is going to be a very hard division to advance from for the next few years.

Of course as a WC they could cross over but if the season ended today

View attachment 162043

:help:
Would Charlie Jacobs ever allow the bruins to go to the bottom of the league for draft picks. The Home Playoff dates mentality could lead to the bruins being in no mans land for a long time if the current young players dont work out

Reactions: smithformeragent

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Would Charlie Jacobs ever allow the bruins to go to the bottom of the league for draft picks. The Home Playoff dates mentality could lead to the bruins being in no mans land for a long time if the current young players dont work out

The danger is becoming the Flyers - usually in the playoffs but

The Bruins are 4th in the city with major corporate sponsors but luckily for them, ORG has stepped up.

Ownership will give the brain trust a mulligan this year because of the injuries. The unknown is McAvoy as he was slotted to be the pillar for the next core.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
The danger is becoming the Flyers - usually in the playoffs but

The Bruins are 4th in the city with major corporate sponsors but luckily for them, ORG has stepped up.

Ownership will give the brain trust a mulligan this year because of the injuries. The unknown is McAvoy as he was slotted to be the pillar for the next core.
Problem is, at forward we only have one injury. So how exactly is that an excuse? The team wasn’t very good with Bergeron in. They lacked secondary scoring and the reality is they always played with two 4th lines. Getting Bergeron back won’t change that.

They f***ed the bed in the off-season when there were plenty of options out there. And now we can’t make trades because we are too vulnerable? That’s just embarrassing really.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Reading these posts you'd expect a team who's under performing with a full roster. We're absolutely decimated by injuries and still leading the wild card spot. Chill. This literally happened just last year and did you all forget? It's even worse this time. We're 4-4-2 right now in the last 10 and probably gonna float around there for a couple weeks. Every GM is begging for Sweeney to call them right now so they can expose any desperation.

That said this team still needs to be improved as we saw in last year's playoffs. The time to improve your team isn't when your backed against a wall. If it spirals down way worse than this then maybe.

Last edited:

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
So there’s no other option but to see our prospects “die on the vine” if they’re not traded? Isn’t it possible that one or more of them will mature and develop into solid regulars on this team?

Absolutely; that’s the point of development. Let me clarify, there is a reason why I included ‘diminishing returns’ as part of the post and Id like to think I don’t have a history here in beating the snot out of prospects or being impatient with them specifically (even tho I can occasionally be a hot head).

In fact(gasp), Ive generally liked what Sweeney has done to rebuild what was a barren cupboard in a short period of time, especially on D and in goal.

But the end of the day, though, we can’t hold onto all of these assets; the future core must be identified as there are only so many spots available on the pro roster.

While i realize that’s a tough ask, to forecast, it does mean someone is going to get left behind and/or the prospects will stagnate in their development. That’s all. I didn’t advocate for Bjork or Donato being moved.

But I do think something could be done, now, to fix the roster and yield better results. It just depends on what they want to pay (who they are willing to sacrifice).

Let me ask you (anyone) this: over the next three/four years, who Do you see as the top 6 and 9 wingers between the current pro roster and what’s in Providence?
Who are all the eligible bodies?
Who gets left behind?
Do the same exercise with the defense.
This exercise , speaks to diminishing returns and the overall point I was trying to make. Obviously, reevaluating takes place as prospects aren’t all on a linear path of development.

But of who gets left behind, or might be on the cusp of being pushed outside, can any of those prospects make us better in a different capacity (i.e. trade market)?

This post could go on so I’ll end it here.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Latest science suggests brains develop until 29. Based on how I was at 25 and how I am now, I wouldn’t argue with that

I want mack back when he’s 110%

Reactions: Dr Hook

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

And it should get Sweeney fired in Boston, he badly overrated his forward prospects, it looks like there are some decent D prospects but Heinen, Bjork, Donato and JFK do not appear to be a contributing top 6 forwards going forward, in some cases NHL regulars is questionable. His inability or unwillingness to fill the holes that everyone knew were there in the off season is going to cost this team badly, not injuries, not bad calls, not excuses, inaction to fill needs because he over valued his prospects.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If they lose next two I go to Bergeron and ask him if he wants to waive his contract.

Bergeron on a team like Colorado would be epic/iconic.

Bergeron & Krug for Maker & the Ottawa pick

Time to clean house & blow it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad