Boston Herald Cam Neely weighs in on state of Bruins

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I fully agree that they were hoping to add a big FA during the off-season and it didn't pan out, which was a setback.

I couldn't see what you bolded for some reason....guessing it's about relying on the youth. Which I'll expand upon here.

First, once the FA's didn't pan out, my fear is that Sweeney was too reluctant to move prospects to get more established veterans when they had good value. Off the top of my head O'Reilly and Spooner would have been good targets. No idea what the asking price for either would have been, as every GM has guys he likes or dislikes more than others.

Second, I've always been frustrated with the fact that they have drafted so many similar forwards over the past few years, and while there are always nuances between players; Bjork, Donato, JFK, Heinen, even DeBrusk, who is the best of the bunch....are all very similar, with little physicality to offer. I'm not even going to lament skipping on Barzal or Connor, because I know teams miss, but without delving into every draft of the last 5 years, I just get frustrated that they don't seem to value big and physical forwards as much as smaller, less physical ones.

Now, I could be off base and look further into it to find that there wasn't anyone available that fit that description around their picks, but they seem to reach for guys anyways, at times (Zboril, Senyshyn). To me, when you make a reach, it should be for someone who is smallish, but tremendously skilled....like a Barzal/Gaudreau or big and physical that maybe hasn't fully developed their offense. Maybe a third category is reaching for a good leader --- of course they did that with Mark Stuart and while he was a solid player, he wasn't Parise.

Lastly, I guess of all the points I've made, the biggest issue I have is that he seems too reluctant to move the young guys. Maybe he's gun shy because of Seguin, but do we want a gun shy GM? I know don't.

There are always deals to be made IMO. You target a guy or three that can help and do what it takes to get them. If they are truly too expensive to get according to your management team, you move on to the next one.

There's a draft every year and a chance to get the next Pasta, Donato, Bjork, etc. Stockpiling all of these kids is really only good to a point. I cannot envision a successful Bruins team that has Bjork, Donato, Heinen and JFK all playing major roles. Last year I felt the same way, but it was only because I thought they were all too small and not physical enough. Sadly, this year it's that and that I wonder if 1 or 2 aren't even good enough to play in the NHL long term, which is troubling because at least last year they had trade value...now I'm not so sure.

In the end, maybe I'll be proven wrong...but most of us have been around here long enough to have seen the Cam Stewarts, Ivan Huml's, Ryan Spooner's and Cameron Mann's of the world flop....is it really that much of a stretch to think it could happen to these guys?
The Bruins absolutely value big physical forwards, it is the reason they drafted Colborne and Caron not too long ago, it is why they chose Frederic over Debrincat, and why they chose Senyshun at 15th overall instead of a small less physical guy like Barzal. Zboril was not a reach, and his game couldn't fit what the Bruins were looking for more, puck moving guy that can skate like the wind and perform crushing checks. The Bruins draft the guy they think has the most chance being a player, if they don't like the game of the bigger physical guy they go with the smaller more skilled guy. Senyshun is fits the description of the second bolded statement exactly, he was picked because he was a large guy that could skate like the wind and seemed to have more potential offense than he had shown to that point. Spooner fits the statement immediately preceding it in looking for a guy with a ton of skill. Sweeney was certainly worried Barzal could end up another Spooner which certainly proved to not be the case. Everyone likes to act like BPA is a simple thing, if it was then Arizona would have never drafted Strome 3rd overall and probably would have taken Barzal instead now that we have hindsight.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
98.5 Hockey Show hitting the nail on the head. They were top heavy to begin with. Secondary scoring hasn’t chipped in with Bergeron out.

Bottom line, if the goal is to win a Cup, yes you need good fortune when it comes to staying healthy, but you also need the DEPTH to overcome injuries to key players.

As a fan, I’d like them to punt on the season, take a step or two back with an eye on the future. I believe that staying the current course only delays the rebuild.

Reactions: Tampbear

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
98.5 Hockey Show hitting the nail on the head. They were top heavy to begin with. Secondary scoring hasn’t chipped in with Bergeron out.

Bottom line, if the goal is to win a Cup, yes you need good fortune when it comes to staying healthy, but you also need the DEPTH to overcome injuries to key players.

As a fan, I’d like them to punt on the season, take a step or two back with an eye on the future. I believe that staying the current course only delays the rebuild.

Isn't the current course taking an eye on the future? Outside of the top line, there was/is a big reliance on youth for secondary scoring and filling out the forward group: Heinen, Bjork, Donato, DeBrusk, JFK. On the blue line Carlo, MCavoy, Grizz. That's about half the skaters are young players with upside that haven't peaked. What would a step or two back look like? Adding more Providence kids to the 3rd and 4th lines and moving a couple of D men out also?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Isn't the current course taking an eye on the future? Outside of the top line, there was/is a big reliance on youth for secondary scoring and filling out the forward group: Heinen, Bjork, Donato, DeBrusk, JFK. On the blue line Carlo, MCavoy, Grizz. That's about half the skaters are young players with upside that haven't peaked. What would a step or two back look like? Adding more Providence kids to the 3rd and 4th lines and moving a couple of D men out also?

Dealing one or more of:

Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Rask

markwart

Jan 27, 2006
Not good enough.

The team is not good enough and the front office’s approach is not good enough.

As a fan, im frustrated because I see no path towards a championship contender.

I agree with you. I feel like this team is not made correctly. I am not advocating for goons, I just think that this team is not built right. We need stronger players. Most of this team lacks the strength to compete. They play like boys trying to compete with men. Most of them get pushed around and abused. They get knocked off the puck so easily that most of them just look weak. It has to be damaging to their confidence. I believe Sweeney has done a poor job at evaluating a good skill/strength ratio. Players need to have the skill to be at the NHL level but they also need to have enough strength to compete and I am sorry but in my opinion, this team is not strong enough to compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrejciMVP

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Who gives a shit what Neely says? Every time that moron gets involved, he makes things worse. And not by a little, but by a shit ton. Leave Sweeney alone to do his job. That's all I want to hear and see Neely do.

If he were half of George McPhee, we'd have won another cup...:naughty:

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Who gives a **** what Neely says? Every time that moron gets involved, he makes things worse. And not by a little, but by a **** ton. Leave Sweeney alone to do his job. That's all I want to hear and see Neely do.

If he were half of George McPhee, we'd have won another cup...:naughty:

I see what you did there.

Reactions: LSCII

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
$100 says no trade happens until the deadline and Bruins trade Zboril and a 3rd for Matt Hunwick to help make a DEEP playoff run while looking in from the outside, while Sweeney and Cassidy secretly clone Noel Acciari three times to fill in any holes that have continued to be neglected.

I'm only half serious.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Not good enough.

The team is not good enough and the front office’s approach is not good enough.

As a fan, im frustrated because I see no path towards a championship contender.

Building a contender requires a youth movement; however, it also requires management to seize the day when the opportunity arises. Last season the Bruins earned 112 points in a very successful campaign. There were injuries to key players, but nothing significant during the season. Unfortunately, they decided to rest on their laurels and proceed with the youth movement. At some point, the Bruins need to identify who is part of the future and who isn't and move some players for help right now.

I think when healthy, the Bruins could have a team that can win the cup. However, it isn't going to happen if management moves at a glacial pace.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
You go over to the trade thread and its "You can't trade McAvoy", "You can't trade DeBrusk", "You can't trade Grzelcyk" etc. and then we wonder why no trades are being made.....

There's this misguided hope that if we package up the Donatos/Heinens/Lauzons of the world , throw in a few picks and we will be able to fill in the holes on our roster with established NHL producers....that ain't happening. There's just not a lot of value there (potential MAYBE) that we are giving up, and 99% of the NHL GMs out there know that.

I agree. Must give up something worthwhile to get something worthwhile

IF Sweeney plans on making noise in the playoffs then fine surround Krejci etc with better talent etc. which means trading some key younger talent

IF its too hard to give up the young prospects...then trade Krejci, Krug etc.

I just want him and Neely to make a stance and go with it. Don't make stupid trades/give up more than needed (like Rick Nash) but pick a side a go with it

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I don't have a problem with the Nash trade. Didn't then, still don't. I would have preferred Evander Kane, but that move needed to be made. Hindsight is 20/20 and 2 concussions later it didn't work out. I don't want our front office being gun shy about making a big move to help this club progress because the Nash trade didn't pan out...

I think that's the one point of this thread that most of us agree on.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I don't have a problem with the Nash trade. Didn't then, still don't. I would have preferred Evander Kane, but that move needed to be made. Hindsight is 20/20 and 2 concussions later it didn't work out. I don't want our front office being gun shy about making a big move to help this club progress because the Nash trade didn't pan out...

I think that's the one point of this thread that most of us agree on.
Well, I certainly dont want them to make a trade as horrible as the Nash one again. They should be gun shy about giving away valuable assets for slow washed up players.

If they're gonna trade for a guy in his prime then that's a different story.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
$100 says no trade happens until the deadline and Bruins trade Zboril and a 3rd for Matt Hunwick to help make a DEEP playoff run while looking in from the outside, while Sweeney and Cassidy secretly clone Noel Acciari three times to fill in any holes that have continued to be neglected.

I'm only half serious.

You forgot DS signs Rick Nash to a long term contract

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Dealing one or more of:

Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Rask

Mmm...

No.

Would probably be the first time in modern NHL that a team in playoff position went that route.

I get what you’re saying, but if you’re in any sort of position (however unlikely), you can’t just throw it away. That’s a little too nuts.

I think the best you can hope for as far as “eye for the future” is just not throwing any future pieces away for a deadline deal.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Well, I certainly dont want them to make a trade as horrible as the Nash one again. They should be gun shy about giving away valuable assets for slow washed up players.

If they're gonna trade for a guy in his prime then that's a different story.

The first is a valuable asset, but Spooner and Lindgren? I don't consider either of them to be "valuable." They took 1/2 of Beleskey's awful contract as well.

I know Nash was a disappointment but I'm still glad they went for it. Nash was good in front of the net and strong defensively. I'd be psyched if he is able to come back. Big net front guys are a welcome addition to any team I think.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The first is a valuable asset, but Spooner and Lindgren? I don't consider either of them to be "valuable." They took 1/2 of Beleskey's awful contract as well.

I know Nash was a disappointment but I'm still glad they went for it. Nash was good in front of the net and strong defensively. I'd be psyched if he is able to come back. Big net front guys are a welcome addition to any team I think.

I can't see how anyone would call that Nash trade horrible. It didn't work out in the end for the B's, but they went for it and they gave up a late first and some spare parts that didn't have a place on this team. I'm not sure what the problem is

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Well last year Spooner had a lot better ppg than Nash did so theres that. I'll admit he wasnt a good fit for this team tho. I personally wasnt high on lindgren but he was a recent 2nd round pick so if sweeney didn't consider him a valuable asset then that's another knock on his drafting record.

I dont think trading for Nash was really going for it. At least not intelligently. Columbus gave up practically nothing to get vanek who was producing a lot more than Nash. Going for it or not giving up a first round pick for marginal talent is never a good idea imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->