Boston Herald Cam Neely weighs in on state of Bruins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Cam Neely weighs in on state of Bruins – Boston Herald

As of right now, there doesn’t appear to be any help coming from the outside, at least not yet. And for a day anyway, there was no call made down to Providence for some different young blood.

“We’re constantly talking about what we can maybe do and what the options are,” said Neely. “Providence, we’ve had guys come up and down and we’ve had guys playing more than we anticipated them playing this year from Providence. But that doesn’t mean we’re done with that. We have to look at all our options to see how we can get ourselves playing a little cleaner. But let’s be honest. We’ve got a tough stretch coming up.”

GM Don Sweeney has made no secret that he’s looking for some help. Even when healthy, they could use – from this observer’s perspective – a top six wing and a third line center, in that order. He’d surely like to make some kind of an impact deal and not just one to get them over this current hump, formidable though it may be.

Injuries haven’t helped the B’s standing in the trade market, either.

“It makes it a little more challenging because teams know that you’re a little more vulnerable,” said Neely. “On the one hand, you really want to make a hockey trade and not necessarily just a band aid, but if there’s an opportunity where it could be a “band aid,” you don’t want to give up an asset that may not be ready yet but they are going to be ready and will help you for a lot longer than a band aid. There’s that delicate balance to make sure you’re doing the right thing for the club, both short-term and long-term.”

So for today at least, the message is to get back to grinding out the points like they’d done for a several weeks. And keep it simple.

“Simplify your game and see where it takes you,” said Neely. “Because playing that way isn’t working.”

Reactions: Orr Fourever

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
At some point they will have to deal their stockpiled prospects or watch them die on the vine. Diminishing returns.

We’ve seen it referenced there’s a lot of group think, decisions by consensus ; I’ve got to wonder if that’s becoming a detriment.

Not a reactionary post. Just not things I’ve been public about.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
sounds like an anti-neely thing to say - he's usually the one pounding the table for action.
i get the idea they don't want to get bent over by a team whilst struggling...but hey, there's
a lot of other middling teams that they can make a legit hockey deal with. they've been hard
to watch lately, and hard to imagine it gets much better until bergy is back. and THAT is a big
problem. no other injuries to blame on the lack of production up front.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Another f***ing excuse.

Can't make trades in the offseason, because you have to see what you have. Can't trade the abundance of young players, because they might be good. Can't trade when healthy because they're working things out. Can't trade while injured because they may have to pay more.

Can't trade when doing well. Can't trade when playing poorly.

One excuse after another for not utilizing the trade market to make any significant additions. Same song now for five years.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I feel like with the Bruins' history of giving up on guys like Wheeler and Seguin, they are gunshy to trade anyone who MIGHT become good, and Neely's reference to not giving up an asset for a short term band aid is evidence of that.
Cam Nelly was in the room when Seguin was traded for magic beans

Reactions: Blowfish

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I can’t defend this anymore. It’s laughable. Make a friggin trade already. Move someone, this locker room is far too comfortable. Swap Acciari for another bottom 6er. Even if just to piss off the locker room. Do it Donnie. Teams are making trades. You’re frozen in fear.

For the first time, I feel as if the Neely Sweeney leadership team may not be what this team needs.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I can’t go back to the hockey purgatory I grew up watching where it’s mediocrity and 1 and done in the playoffs.

Again, the path to the conference finals goes through Tampa.

Buffalo is on the rise.

Toronto is in win now mode.

Where does Boston fit in?

What’s the path? Is the arrow pointing up, down or has it flat lined?

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Tampa could beat them by a touchdown tomorrow night.
At the start of the season the Wings were playing what management called Poke and Hope hockey.
That is what I'm watching every night with the Bs. That's why a defenceman skated straight down the boards not even stick handling and shot the puck in the net. Way to much poke checking and not enough body contact. A heavy team like Tampa or Washington will score at will and their goalie will get a harder workout drinking a Pepsi after the game than these light weights will put forth.
Even with Bergy back this team is too small, too slow, too soft, and lacking any skill after Line one and DeBrusk. Future looks bleak unless some of the PBs work out, and my fear is Mr Burns will push for a trade and Sweeney will deal the wrong yutes.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Another ****ing excuse.

Can't make trades in the offseason, because you have to see what you have. Can't trade the abundance of young players, because they might be good. Can't trade when healthy because they're working things out. Can't trade while injured because they may have to pay more.

One excuse after another for not utilizing the trade market to make any significant additions. Same song now for five years.

This is it in a nut shell, its almost like they don't have the courage or confidence to make a deal.

The sad part about it is, you need to take a chance sometimes you win sometimes you lose, but to sit by idle and wither away without attempting to make a move that could ultimately make you better is cheating both the fans and the players.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I feel like the injuries will provide cover for the real issues that this organization has big picture.

Are they struggling due to the injuries? In part. However many cited major warts with this team coming into the season.

I think it will take multiple DNQs to prompt sweeping changes.

It just feels like they’re going in a hundred different directions while spinning their wheels and going nowhere as a franchise.

I don’t see a path out of the second round of the playoffs any time soon.

Reactions: Estlin

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Honestly I wouldn't mind changing the gm at the moment. Whose out there ? Is rick Dudley available?

I don’t look at Donny as much of the problem. It’s Neely, it’s always been Neely, his temper tantrums in the press box during playoff games and outlook on the bruins have gotten stale. Donny probably walks on eggshells around him and Tommy Boy Charlie Jacobs.

They all have to go

Reactions: rfournier103

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I don’t look at Donny as much of the problem. It’s Neely, it’s always been Neely, his temper tantrums in the press box during playoff games and outlook on the bruins have gotten stale. Donny probably walks on eggshells around him and Tommy Boy Charlie Jacobs.

They all have to go
Herein lies a major problem as far as I’m concerned.

Who runs the Boston Bruins?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Another ****ing excuse.

And the yet the habs trade for Domi and Tatar and turn their organization around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->