Calvin Pickard

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Play them equally until you are sure Varly is 100%, then run more with Varly. Make sure Picks gets a game a week, and if you don't expect him to get playing time send him to the AHL. The important thing is to keep Picks developing by giving him lots of time.

Yup, agree. Giving Pickard what he deserves and taking it easy with Varlys groin goes hand in hand and over time Varly will naturally take over more and more and show that he is the superior goaltender. Next season, we will hopefully have 55-60 games of Varly and 22-27 games of Pickard.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yup, agree. Giving Pickard what he deserves and taking it easy with Varlys groin goes hand in hand and over time Varly will naturally take over more and more and show that he is the superior goaltender. Next season, we will hopefully have 55-60 games of Varly and 22-27 games of Pickard.

If Picks keeps it up and Varly can stay healthy I'd really like a 2:1 ratio between Varly and Picks. That would hopefully give Varly adequate rest while giving Picks enough experience. It's a good problem to have IMO. If Pickard really starts emerging as a number one, hopefully the Avs handle it better than Vancouver did.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If Picks keeps it up and Varly can stay healthy I'd really like a 2:1 ratio between Varly and Picks. That would hopefully give Varly adequate rest while giving Picks enough experience. It's a good problem to have IMO. If Pickard really starts emerging as a number one, hopefully the Avs handle it better than Vancouver did.

that doesn't really take much..

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
So happy to see him playing so well. Back when he was playing with Seattle my friend who is his cousin took me to meet him after a game and he is the most down to earth guy you'll ever meet. Couldn't be happier for him :yo:

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
The thing that made me think he had the potential to be a good/great NHL goalie was how much rubber he faced while w/ the Thunderbirds. He was facing 40+ shots per game seemed like on some terrible Seattle teams and kept them in most games. Very happy for him.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Hopefully he can still deliver after he's had a bunch of days off and with the knowledge that Varly is back and he is no longer "the guy".

Got a feeling he goes back to playing like an AHL goalie.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I'd like to see Pickard play this way for an entire season before handing him the backup job, let alone comparing him to Luongo/Schneider. I'd also like to see how he comes back from a couple of ugly 6-0 games, as all goaltenders have those.

Pickard's been a great story so far, and I'm very happy he performed this way in the first dozen games of his career. But it's just part of one chapter in a long novel.

In truth, it would surprise me more if he kept playing like a starting NHL goaltender, than it would if he went back to playing like a starting AHL goaltender.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Picks is more on his typical AHL schedule, play b2b and then off until the next weekend, I think he'll be ok. I will be thrilled if he can bring even half of his confidence to Lake Erie. They've gotten by in his absence with some shaky goaltending, would be nice to have some solid play there for a while. I'm done waiting for the magic to run out, he's the real deal. But of course he's still just 22 and talk of getting rid of Varly is lunacy.

Last edited:

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I'd like to see Pickard play this way for an entire season before handing him the backup job, let alone comparing him to Luongo/Schneider. I'd also like to see how he comes back from a couple of ugly 6-0 games, as all goaltenders have those.

Pickard's been a great story so far, and I'm very happy he performed this way in the first dozen games of his career. But it's just part of one chapter in a long novel.

In truth, it would surprise me more if he kept playing like a starting NHL goaltender, than it would if he went back to playing like a starting AHL goaltender.

He's done more to deserve the backup job than Berra has though.

I want to see something like when the Kings had Quick and Bernier. Even though Quick was the undisputed #1 Bernier was there to push Quick and make sure Quick knew he had some competition.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I want to see something like when the Kings had Quick and Bernier. Even though Quick was the undisputed #1 Bernier was there to push Quick and make sure Quick knew he had some competition.

I think we see something similar to that next season. Except Roy will play Picks more as he isn't a big believer in starting goalies ~70 games.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I wonder what the Avs could get for Berra. Certainly not what they paid for him, but I'd take pretty much a bag of chips for him since he is not needed. Well I guess the monsters could use him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Berra's contract isn't terrible for a backup but the problem is that Berra might be. So right now I'm not sure he can be traded. He has to play and he has to play relatively well for it to happen, I suspect.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.

We don't have a contract like Luongo's to deal with. Should be easier to deal either of our goalers.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Roy spoke out today about Berra saying he is "not happy with him" and that he "isn't hungry" and yet he is the backup and not Pickard. Makes a lot of sense.

Sure I get that we can send Pick down but **** that, send Berra down any way - if someone picks him up (which they won't) they can have him. Dude hasn't earned anything and Pickard has done more than enough to earn his spot on this team

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Roy spoke out today about Berra saying he is "not happy with him" and that he "isn't hungry" and yet he is the backup and not Pickard. Makes a lot of sense.

Sure I get that we can send Pick down but **** that, send Berra down any way - if someone picks him up (which they won't) they can have him. Dude hasn't earned anything and Pickard has done more than enough to earn his spot on this team

I think you miss what Roy wants for Pickard...

Roy wants Pickard to play...at either level. If he is up here he will just sit on the bench. If a goalie is going to rot on the bench while Varly plays it can be Berra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad