Calvin Pickard

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nobody remembers the timing of the Berra trade. Jiggy had just looked like dog crap in that game vs LA and Aittokalluo got hit in the head with a puck in practice and was out a month. The ironic thing is at that point Picks was their only option.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Nobody remembers the timing of the Berra trade. Jiggy had just looked like dog crap in that game vs LA and Aittokalluo got hit in the head with a puck in practice and was out a month. The ironic thing is at that point Picks was their only option.

I remember it. I thought a 2nd was too much to spend on an unproven back up. There should have been cheaper options. Budaj, maybe? At that point I think they were going to go with Tokarski already. I wouldn't mind Budaj back on the team.

You are right, Picks was their only option at that time and I thought it was weird they weren't even going to give him a chance when Aitto already had two.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
They were overreacting big time if Gigueres poor form had anything to do with the Berra trade. He got way too much stick from fans and Roy for losing 4-5 games in a row. "Auto-loss" yeah right. Everyone just got spoiled in the beginning.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It wasn't a poor performance thing, but Jiggy's back was giving him issues all season. Bad enough that Aitto had to be called up, and they were not sure he could finish the season. Hindsight being 20/20 he did, but they didn't know if he would be able to.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Groke is saying Picks gets benched. I think Varly should be on a short leash. Don't waste the hot hand.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Groke is saying Picks gets benched. I think Varly should be on a short leash. Don't waste the hot hand.

Roy said that if Varly is ready he will play, but Picks isn't getting sent down yet. That signals to me that Picks would be playing again shortly.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Groke has no clue. They had today off, there was no update.

I think after how Picks did yesterday Roy can't not play him tomorrow. But we'll see. He certainly didn't say Varly would be playing in his presser last night.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I think after how Picks did yesterday Roy can't not play him tomorrow. But we'll see. He certainly didn't say Varly would be playing in his presser last night.

There are quotes from Roy saying if Varly is ready, he will play.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

If Varly comes in and loses and Picks plays the next game and wins will we officially be in a goalie controversy? DUN DUN DUN

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Oh I know and I'm sure that's what will happen but in saying that he leaves wiggle room too. But he didn't say Varly was going to play last night, he's said they would evaluate.

It does leave wiggle room, but also pretty much says they will evaluate it at the morning skate... if Roy gets the thumbs up, then it will be Varly.

If Varly is ready, I think it lines up nicely with the schedule. Get him in a game, and then see how he is after a few days off before having to make a decision on running him out there again.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It could kinda be like that game vs Montreal. Varly could have played it but they were being cautious and wanted to see Picks one more time. Of course I don't buy into any nonsense that Varly isn't the number one guy. I see what you mean though, use Picks as a bit of insurance while they see if Varly really is healthy. But I think with Picks so hot they have to put him out there one more time.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Spevak keeps going on about how Varly should be the backup now. Can't stand that guy.

Drew Spevak @DrewSpevak ·
But I don't think any team would be dumb enough to trade for Varlamov now with the groin issues. Except the Oilers, they do dumb things.

If Oilers trade for Varly, it might be the first smart move they've made in a decade. One of few who can really bail out a non excisting defense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Spevak is the worst...

I see the argument for Picks against the Blues, and personally I would start him.... but I can see Roy starting Varly if he gets the go ahead.

IMO even with Varly coming back, I would start Pickard regularly for a while. Maybe a 3/2 split in favor of Varly. Won't happen, but that is what I would do... at least until it was clear Varly was in shape and ready to handle the load again.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I even had to say something at that one. No team would be dumb enough to trade for a guy who finished 4th in Hart voting? Yeah he's been injured, so have half of the league's goalies too.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
IMO it's kinda silly to talk about trading either player. As amazing as he has been, Picks has still only just started his NHL career and Varly just signed a hefty extension he only just started this year. Unless it's a bat****-crazy offer, both goalies are likely staying put.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I dislike the Berra trade, but I get why it was made. However there is no excuse for the Avs giving Berra as much term as they did.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
You can't move Varly now. You can't leave the reins of the goaltending position to a 23yo goalie who just finished his first NHL season last year. What happens when the book gets out on Pickard? Obviously he's shown a lot so far and I am super happy with his play. However there's always a few goalies who show great ability one year, then teams plan for the goalie and that's it.

That's why even considering trading Varly is absurd. There's no goalie controversy. If Pickard comes in next season and keeps this up then maybe we have something brewing. Until that happens enjoy the great goaltending.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Play them equally until you are sure Varly is 100%, then run more with Varly. Make sure Picks gets a game a week, and if you don't expect him to get playing time send him to the AHL. The important thing is to keep Picks developing by giving him lots of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad