Calvin Pickard

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think he needs a place for some appreciation.

From Sadowski:

Pickard, who made 28 saves Saturday in the Avalanche's 5-1 win in Buffalo, has gone 5-3-2 in his past 10 games with a 1.87 goals-against average and .945 save percentage. He has a 5-5-2 record overall with a 2.16 average that is seventh best in the NHL and a .936 save percentage that is second in the league.

That's just ridiculous what he's done. If the team had found a way to win a few more of those games he'd be an even bigger story.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
More proof that it's a good idea to treat second round picks as valuable:

Chris Bigras
Mitchell Heard
Calvin Pickard
Ryan O'Reilly
Stefan Elliott

Avs last five second round picks.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Picks has been the biggest bright spot out of this whole season. Such a pleasant surprise.

Pickards success has made me realize how big of a mistake Berra's contract was.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I could understand that Roy and Sakic weren't comfortable with going with one of the kids this season, but to give Berra 3 years was a huge head scratcher and a sign they weren't comfortable with the goalies we had in the system.

Talent evaluation hasn't really been the strong suit for them yet.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Picks has been the biggest bright spot out of this whole season. Such a pleasant surprise.

Hindsight will always be 20/20. No one could have realistically predicted this....and Berra didn't even look that bad through the first couple of games he played at the beginning of the year. (though yes, will admit that he's fallen off)

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
More proof that it's a good idea to treat second round picks as valuable:

Chris Bigras
Mitchell Heard
Calvin Pickard
Ryan O'Reilly
Stefan Elliott

Avs last five second round picks.

guy-opening-door.gif

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Pickard has been really good. However, I do not have a issue with the Berra deal and contract. We needed a back up and we had two relatively unknowns in Sami and Calvin.

Now Stuart was ridiculous. No way we should have dealt a 2nd round pick for him. A conditional pick that could become a 2nd yes, but a outright one? No.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
i have more faith in Pickard atm than i do Varly. the few times i saw Varly play this year he looked a bit shaky/ nothing special, and Pickard obviously looked like a boss.

and i'd hate to see Berra back in net. i'd fully expect a loss if he was to start again.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hindsight will always be 20/20. No one could have realistically predicted this....and Berra didn't even look that bad through the first couple of games he played at the beginning of the year. (though yes, will admit that he's fallen off)

There may have been a few here who liked Pickard but it's not like there were any indications he could performa like this.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
90% of people on here preferred Aitto to Pickard the last few years, so hopefully people aren't getting on the Avs for not seeing this coming, because no one did.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Pickard has been really good. However, I do not have a issue with the Berra deal and contract. We needed a back up and we had two relatively unknowns in Sami and Calvin.

Now Stuart was ridiculous. No way we should have dealt a 2nd round pick for him. A conditional pick that could become a 2nd yes, but a outright one? No.

IMO you have these two examples exactly backwards.

Brad Stuart is a good player, and has been fine with Colorado. If they can manage to get 3 years of play like this out of Stuart, that trade will be looked back upon as nothing short of awesome.

The Berra trade was dreadful. Not only because Berra has sucked, but because it simply wasn't necessary. There were going to be other completely viable options that were much cheaper.

As for the subject of the thread, Pickard has been a great story. The story of the season, actually. He was given a shot and answered the bell, plain and simple.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
90% of people on here preferred Aitto to Pickard the last few years, so hopefully people aren't getting on the Avs for not seeing this coming, because no one did.

That's why you can't really have too many goalie prospects. They develop in mysterious ways.

I don't think any organization counts on 22 year old goalies doing anything, unless they are blue chip talents like Gibson.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

I, like others, had Aitto higher in my pre-season prospect rankings but that doesn't mean I didn't like Picks.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
It's not Pickard who made the Berra acquisition and extension absolutely horrendous. It would have been regardless of Picks or not.

Pickard is great though.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Pickard seemed to have really picked up his game during the off-season and on. Aitto looked like a better prospect, he had really good raw talent and seemed to be developing well. Picks seemed like a Giguere type, where he relied heavily on positioning and didn't have the best quickness (at least from what I saw). One thing that makes Picks so good is his ability to track the puck in traffic.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma

That's correct, and signing Berra to a 1-year deal would have been preferable to see how the kids have developed.
Now we are stuck with a long-ish deal that is untradeable.
Fortunately it is low-enough money so that it won't cost cap-wise too much.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
It's not Pickard who made the Berra acquisition and extension absolutely horrendous. It would have been regardless of Picks or not.

Pickard is great though.

I hear the Flyers need a goalie...

Maybe we can convince them to take Berra for a 2nd #ChristmasWishList

Also, Pickard should be getting 1st star of the week. 2-0-1, 0.973 SV%, 0.96 GAA in 3 games in 4 nights.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I hear the Flyers need a goalie...

Maybe we can convince them to take Berra for a 2nd #ChristmasWishList

Also, Pickard should be getting 1st star of the week. 2-0-1, 0.973 SV%, 0.96 GAA in 3 games in 4 nights.

Has a goalie ever been named first star of the week without any shutouts?

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Does the conversation change from a who's our back-up to who's our starter? I get that Varly is the defacto starter but Pickard is riding an absolute heater right now. It would be criminal to sit him let alone send him back to LE.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
His performance has been 2003 Giguere-esque.

I don't get mad frequently, but I will if Pickard is demoted to the AHL. The team has rallied around him and are finally starting to show some life.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
If Roy wants to salvage this season he sticks with Pickard. Screw that 2nd round pick, just send Berra through waivers I really don't think anyone picks him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad