Calvin Pickard

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Just looked at his game log. Those two Montreal games are so much worse than all his others stat-wise.

Only games sub 0.900 SV%, and only games where he allowed more than 2 even strength goals.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He already said Pickard is going back but seems like he might hold on to him for a bit to see how Varly does.

2-0-1, 0.973 SV%, 0.96 GAA in 3 games in 4 nights is absurd for any goalie. And all of them on the road, I just don't even know what to say anymore, just amazing.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
He already said Pickard is going back but seems like he might hold on to him for a bit to see how Varly does.

2-0-1, 0.973 SV%, 0.96 GAA in 3 games in 4 nights is absurd for any goalie. And all of them on the road, I just don't even know what to say anymore, just amazing.

Those are insane stats, those would be amazing for even Roy himself...I'm by no means wanting to give up on Varly but it's becoming more apparent that this isn't just that "first call up adrenaline boost" kid's the real deal IMO.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I've been a bit hesitant myself but he's earned some benefit of the doubt with his performance this week. Roy did say today that he's not going down and they will make a decision later but also said that we shouldn't forget what Varly did for the team last year. So maybe he's going to split them for a bit or maybe get rid of Berra.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yeah I've been a bit hesitant myself but he's earned some benefit of the doubt with his performance this week. Roy did say today that he's not going down and they will make a decision later but also said that we shouldn't forget what Varly did for the team last year. So maybe he's going to split them for a bit or maybe get rid of Berra.

Yeah, Varly looked good in the few games he's played he's just unfortunately been hurt so much. My biggest worry is rushing Varly because if we do manage to claw our way back into the playoff picture I want him 100% ready, so an extra couple weeks of Picks starting and maybe splitting time with Varly seems ideal right now. Plus I honestly believe Berra is on his way out/gonna be buried in the minors and likely won't see another game with the Avs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pickard's interviews are great too, so patient and thoughtful, just like the way he plays. It's easy to see how he became a favorite so fast in both his play and character.

It's so tough because he's done nothing but earn the right to stay but he needs to play, I see the benefit in both and it's probably a good idea not to rush him down this time. Will be interesting to see how the next few weeks unfold. I think he will ultimately go down. If Varly can hold up after a few games then the worst thing wouldn't be for Pickard to lead the Monsters to the playoffs. I think Berra will play here again but they might come up with a new plan for next year.

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
Value of Calvin Pickard

Just curious what your team would offer for him. I am totally against moving him right now just curious

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I'm loving what Pickard is doing right now. As much as anyone here. But, he's no where near the level of Varlamov. Pickard still has to work on his rebound control and glove hand. He needs more seasoning before he can be a regular NHL player.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Just curious what your team would offer for him. I am totally against moving him right now just curious

Not much. He's shown he has talent and can play in the NHL but he needs to prove it long term. Right now he's worth more to us than anyone else.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The last 3 games I find it pretty funny that on the opposing teams feeds to start the game they always talk about Pickard not being that good and about his weaknesses off of the first hi light they can use a replay from.

By the end of the game they can't stop talking about how good he played. :laugh:

The Buffalo pbp guys were horrid.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The last 3 games I find it pretty funny that on the opposing teams feeds to start the game they always talk about Pickard not being that good and about his weaknesses off of the first hi light they can use a replay from.

By the end of the game they can't stop talking about how good he played. :laugh:

The Buffalo pbp guys were horrid.

I think part of that is that Pickard was never really a top flight goalie prospect (TBF Central Scouting had him as their #1 NA goalie), and hadn't shown much his first couple years in Lake Erie to make people re-think that idea.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Not much. He's shown he has talent and can play in the NHL but he needs to prove it long term. Right now he's worth more to us than anyone else.

yeah, pretty much. he needs to play well this season and next one to have significant value. goalies are so up and down. backup is a need no need to trade him in a while. won't be making significant bucks either.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Pickard has been awesome. I don't love what it implies, but I think he should be starting games over Varlamov as long as he's playing this well. No reason whatsoever to demote him at this point.

That Berra trade will never look good. It looked foolish at the deadline last year (I booked the day off and watched the entire thing on TSN just to see us get hosed by Calgary), it looked even worse when we gave him a contract based on nothing, and it looks just mystifyingly terrible now. I don't even think we could trade him at this point.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pickard has been awesome. I don't love what it implies, but I think he should be starting games over Varlamov as long as he's playing this well. No reason whatsoever to demote him at this point.

That Berra trade will never look good. It looked foolish at the deadline last year (I booked the day off and watched the entire thing on TSN just to see us get hosed by Calgary), it looked even worse when we gave him a contract based on nothing, and it looks just mystifyingly terrible now. I don't even think we could trade him at this point.

Theres gotta be a team willing to trade old jock straps for berra. Gotta be. Right?

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Theres gotta be a team willing to trade old jock straps for berra. Gotta be. Right?

At this point I wouldn't mind just giving Berra away which is why I say take the risk and send him through waivers. Maybe this will teach Joe and Patty not to throw picks around like loose change.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Keep in mind a lot of the impetus to get Berra came from Allaire. I guess that's the tradeoff with him--he works his magic with a lot of goalies, but demands to have a say in managerial/coaching issues, and in some cases his magic doesn't always work. And he certainly doesn't appear to like it if he doesn't get his way (his relationship with Burke and Wilson in Toronto soured pretty fast).

I suppose I have to ask why it took a freakin' 2nd rounder to wrest Berra away from Burke's clutches when it was clear he didn't factor into Calgary's plans going forward. It's probably not fair to say a more experienced GM would have driven a harder bargain, after all Burke once traded a 2nd for George Parros. But obviously that whole deal and the ensuing extension really, really bug me.

Whatever the case, thankfully it ain't full-blown Edmonton up in here and Allaire seems to be doing well with two of the three goalies being used.

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
Hindsight will always be 20/20. No one could have realistically predicted this....and Berra didn't even look that bad through the first couple of games he played at the beginning of the year. (though yes, will admit that he's fallen off)

I disagree with saying hindsight is 20/20. It was just flat out a bad decision to extend Berra. Didn't prove himself with us. And what he had shown with Calgary was underwhelming to say the least. He was at zero risk to leave us and there is a strong argument to be made that he could have cleared waivers if we had dropped him.

Roykic have not proven they are shrewd managers during their time here. If they weren't former Av legends we would be a much, much angrier fanbase right now in light of the disappointing season. It's too early to get at their throats, but if they make bad decisions in this upcoming trade deadline/draft/start of next season, then I will not be happy with them. Honeymoon is over. I don't care what they did for us as players. They are not players.

And I hate to beat a dead horse, but the cherry on top of this whole Berra trainwreck was the trade itself. Compare that leaguewide to all 2nd round draft pick trades in the past two years and it looks even worse. Sometimes we just need to call things how they are. Sometimes in the hockey world there is no room for debate. This is one of those instances.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I disagree with saying hindsight is 20/20. It was just flat out a bad decision to extend Berra. Didn't prove himself with us. And what he had shown with Calgary was underwhelming to say the least. He was at zero risk to leave us and there is a strong argument to be made that he could have cleared waivers if we had dropped him.

Roykic have not proven they are shrewd managers during their time here. If they weren't former Av legends we would be a much, much angrier fanbase right now in light of the disappointing season.

And I hate to beat a dead horse, but the cherry on top of this whole Berra trainwreck was the trade itself. Compare that to all 2nd round draft pick trades in the past two years and it looks even worse.
I think what he's saying is that no one could have predicted Pickard doing what he's done, which is 100% true. Even at this time last year, it seemed like the organization thought more of Aittokalio than Pickard and while Pickard's rookie year in the AHL was good, it seemed like he took a step back last year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is pretty easy to see that the Avs were trying and trying to use a 3rd to get a goalie. Then they missed out on Scrivens... and they were about to miss out on Berra so they caved with a pick about 10 spots better than Edmonton's pick given up for Scrivens. The Avs thought they would need a backup for the playoff push, so they were going to make a deal regardless... and since they were doing a deal anyway, they wanted to solve the issue for a few years. On the contract, if they didn't sign him, they would have lost him to free agency and they would have spent that 2nd round pick for even less.

It was good to read that Roy isn't sending Pickard back down right away... maybe he will actually ease Varly back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad