Waived: Calvin Pickard placed on waivers by Vegas. (Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Bob Mackenzie said the Vegas goalie coach thinks Subban has a chance of being a starting goalie due to his physical abilities (potential), while they believe Pickard will not be better than a backup goalie.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
You can’t claim a player off waivers and turn around and trade him. The player has to remain on your roster for the rest of the season or put back on waivers.

Yes, you can trade a player you picked up.

You can claim a player off waivers and trade them. So long as only one team submits a waiver claim.

That's not a thing either. Where do these things come from? He is your player, you can 100% trade him. The only thing you can't do is send him to the minors (without clearing waivers).

Its funny cuz didn't he got the Vegas fans to design his new mask?

Welcome to the business of NHL, Knights fans!

I think the two teams that could use Pickard the most (and could easily take him) are Minnesota and Columbus. I looked at the rosters and contracts. Also discovered an article by a Minnesota beat writer saying how the Wild need to pick Subban - well, Pickard is easily an even better catch for them. I mean, Alex Stalock, really?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
what was the rush?

Probably to prevent the defensive logjam that we're seeing right now? Seems like like a lot of people were saying we should take as many D as possible in order to trade them, but then when we did, everyone is saying we should have held onto them to maximize their value - it's a tough situation. Dallas taking Methot for two more years WITHOUT salary retention was great, especially since they gave us a 2nd round pick and an 18-year-old goalie who looked great in our rookie camp.

So yesterday McPhee says that Subban isn't ready for the NHL yet but he'll stay up, and now he waives Pickard. I don't know what he's doing but I don't imagine Fleury-Subban being better than Fleury-Pickard at this point in time.

wow. subban over pickard? I think they are clearly going on potential here and not on actual skill. Interesting move by Vagas. Pickard gets claimed here for sure. hes better then 5+ teams backup right now including bostons.

Now that I've had time to assess the situation, that seems plausible. As of now, I'd imagine we would prioritize a guy who has starter potential over a guy that is a very good backup. It seems like Fleury will be here for two seasons (maybe more), and we should be looking for someone take over after that - Pickard, Subban, whoever. Goalies are so hard to predict - just look around the league and see how many teams have a #1 starter that THEY drafted. There's always guys that you can find via trade, and who knows if we end up doing that ourselves in a few years.

GMGM seems to think that Subban can fit into the Knights system, perhaps more so than Pickard. Cat Silverman did a great writeup on the Subban-to-VGK situation this week:

All things considered, though, Vegas was a likely destination for Subban to begin with.

Ahead of the 2017 Expansion Draft this past June, InGoal took a look at players that the Golden Knights would likely want to select based on prior patterns from their coaches, GM, and scouting staff. Subban, with his quick reflexes and high-frequency movement style of play, seemed like a perfect fit:

“Subban may not be quite as attractive because he requires waivers, but the athletic 23-year-old Boston Bruins prospect does have a skill set Prior has prioritized in past drafts with the Capitals and is unlikely to get claimed on the way down to the AHL after being passed in the Bruins organization by Zane McIntyre this season. Several goalie observers have speculated he might be a good project for Vegas.”

It seems that Vegas may have passed him over for the very reason that he’d be a waiver claim, but then went ahead and claimed him themselves.

While this creates a bit of a crowded crease for Vegas, it’s a no-risk option for the team. Best case, Subban comes out of the gate hotter than Pickard – and with him already an attractive piece to their staff, he gets kept on board to become the new heir apparent to Fleury. Worst case, he continues to struggle as he has in the last few years, and they re-waive him, almost certainly sending him back to Boston to get more development time.

What's wrong with that scenario? It gives Anaheim a reliable back-up for zero assets until Miller is healthy, with a guarantee he'll be claimed when he's put back on waivers (given he doesn't stink it up). At worst, his contract ends at the end of the year. I'm not quite sure why the other goalie contracts have any bearing on claiming Pickard for the Ducks, as Berra would still be starting in the AHL if Miller was healthy.

Nothing wrong with this scenario at all, that's why I suggested it.

I can sort of see what McPhee is trying to do there. It's the right time of year to slip a backup goaltender through waivers, if ever there is one.

Yup - worth a shot to me.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Where do these things come from?
Sorry to quote my own post, but I see now that there's a rule to prevent bottom teams from hogging waiver claims. I thought this only applied to return waivers (a European player entering the league mid season or something).

I feel like an idiot.

Anyway, a good rule to prevent abuse. I think Minnesota or Columbus might claim Pickard. I don't see anyone else doing it. So Vegas might just sneak Pickard through after all.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Bob Mackenzie said the Vegas goalie coach thinks Subban has a chance of being a starting goalie due to his physical abilities (potential), while they believe Pickard will not be better than a backup goalie.

So it's basically like he chose his no.1 and no.2 pick from Boston while choosing the obvious player from Colorado's exposed list. Now is the time to waive players, there's a good chance he doesn't even get picked up.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
George is starting the tank early. People are freaking out, but I don't think Pickard has any value. Subban is worse, but they were going to suck anyways.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
How is not selecting Dumba versus what they got in return going to pay off? (They get Erik Haula and Alex Tuch, and they had to give up a 3rd rounder and not take Dumba)???

You don't understand how the Expansion Draft works. If the Wild hadn't made a side-deal to protect Dumba, he would not have been made available to the Golden Knights. There is no scenario where the McPhee could have selected Dumba. Either he makes a side deal and allows the Wild to protect him, or the Wild trade away Dumba for an asset they don't need to protect in the Expansion Draft.

Could have taken Marc Methot, and didn't. (His trade value is certainly higher than anything they currently have on D)

McPhee did select Marc Methot and traded him to Dallas for a 2nd round draft pick and a goaltending prospect.

Could have had DeHaan or Pulock, or Brock Nelson, and didn't. (Plus they have actually have to pay Grabovski to not play)(I know they got a 1st rounder, but it will be mid pack at best)

Again, you don't really know how this works. No, they would not have selected any of those players. A side deal was made allowing the Islanders to leave them exposed. Had that side deal not been made, the Islanders would have made some trades with other clubs to move valuable assets that couldn't protect and they would likely not have gone with the three forward/five defense protection scheme they submitted.

As for Grabovski, Vegas isn't giving him a red cent to not pay. His contract his fully covered by insurance while he is injured and he has publicly stated he wants to play this year for Vegas.

Could have taken Grubauer who looks pretty good from what I have seen. (Instead they now have Subban as backup)

Considering they already had Marc Andre Fleury, adding Nate Schmidt helped the team a lot more than bringing in a "better" back up goalie.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
As for Grabovski, Vegas isn't giving him a red cent to not pay. His contract his fully covered by insurance while he is injured and he has publicly stated he wants to play this year for Vegas.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that insurance only pays 80% of the salary for injured players. If that's the case, we still have to pay Grabo $1.2M this year. But in doing that side deal, we also got Jake Bischoff (who had a strong preseason), Erik Brannstrom (who some said could be the best defenseman from this draft) AND another 2nd round pick. I'm not about to fault McPhee for that deal - it could pay off wonderfully.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Grubauer would probably bring more in a trade than Schmidt since McPhee seems determined to trade everyone for picks. Washington will ask even more so Grubauer is probably destined to be a backup that should have been a starter soon.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
This actually does make some sense by Vegas. Yes Pickard is better than subban, but they can't send Malcolm down. This way if he clears (which is likely) they get BOTH goalies in their system.

Worse case scenario he gets claimed and they downgrade in the 2G spot, but it's not much of a downgrade. Imo the reward outweighs the risk. It's a bold gutsy move, One of the few GMGM moves I like

Reactions: Howie Hodge

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Sure Physical abilities but can he stop the puck? apparently not very well

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I wonder if the Leafs waiving Marincin was potentially due to hearing that Pickard would be hitting waivers? They can successfully claim him and not be over the roster limit, giving them time to way McBackup. Although I guess they could have sent Borgman down for a day instead of waiving Marincin.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
This actually does make some sense by Vegas. Yes Pickard is better than subban, but they can't send Malcolm down. This way if he clears (which is likely) they get BOTH goalies in their system.

Worse case scenario he gets claimed and they downgrade in the 2G spot, but it's not much of a downgrade. Imo the reward outweighs the risk. It's a bold gutsy move, One of the few GMGM moves I like

Says it all.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I wonder if the Leafs waiving Marincin was potentially due to hearing that Pickard would be hitting waivers? They can successfully claim him and not be over the roster limit, giving them time to way McBackup. Although I guess they could have sent Borgman down for a day instead of waiving Marincin.

I highly doubt waiving Marincin had anything to do with a possible Pickard claim. Especially since they wouldn't know Pickard was going on waivers before the deadline to file waivers for Marincin.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
People have suggested the Leafs but honestly, I don't believe he's much of an upgrade. A marginal one at best. Mcbackup isn't the best backup around but he looked solid in pre-season and is adequate. He's also a vet and a likable guy. Pickard does have age on his side but when an expansion team waives you, thats a concern for me. I'd rather stick with the mediocre goalie I know.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Penguins should claim him.
I knew I couldn't possibly be the first one to think of this, but it crossed my mind before reading your post.

I'd say the chances that Pittsburgh claims him this afternoon, just went up by a lot. Normally, they probably wouldn't give Niemi the old heave-ho after just 13 minutes of regular season hockey, no matter how bad he was. They also wouldn't normally have the chance to claim Pickard.

So I think if they aren't beaten to it, they'll probably take him off waivers. If he would have otherwise cleared, I don't see him making it past Pittsburgh after last night. Maybe someone beats Pittsburgh to him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He wasnt the biggest problem tonight
The first goal, dude totally wasn't paying attention. That puck probably hits him, if he didn't lose sight of it and wasn't playing the other side of the net.
Second goal, you might say he shouldn't be very happy with that rebound. I won't ding him on that one.
I don't think I'd ding him on the third goal.
The rebound was so poor on goal 4, he really should be dinged for that one. It was a weak shot, easily should have been handled, but he pretty much tossed it right back into the slot at the shooter. He deserved an assist on that goal, that's how poor the rebound was.

Then Murray came in and gave up a weak goal pretty quickly. He deserves more of a pass, as he's coming in cold, just played last night, and has had one of the best first 90+ games of any goaltender ever.

Niemi hasn't had that good of a season in almost 5 years, he's also coming off a very terrible year. He wasn't that bad his first year in Dallas, his even strength play was identical to his last few years in San Jose, he was just pretty bad on special teams, particularly when his team was on the PP that year.

I also remember one game last year where he allowed 3 goals on the first 3 shots of the game, all of them were stoppable at the very best and a couple were really terrible. He probably shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt. I was surprised that he was scooped up so quickly on July 1st, and by the defending two-time champions, no less. I was thinking he may have Jonas Hiller'd himself out of the league after last year.

Reactions: billybudd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad