Waived: Calvin Pickard placed on waivers by Vegas. (Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If I had a goalie coach that thought he could work with him and wasn't planning on contending this season, maybe I'd give it a look...but I'd need my goalie coach to really give me something of substance about what he's going to do for him to make him a legitimate asset...because right now, he is not...that's why he's been given away in two of the last two instances where it was possible to give him away...

Interestingly enough, the bolded part could describe the reason Subban was claimed - it appears the VGK goalie coach thinks he has better longterm potential than Pickard. For a team starting from scratch that's not really contending anytime soon, I like the move. There were a lot of people predicting Subban would be the Boston selection in the expansion draft, so the way I see it we got two picks from Boston and none from Colorado. Oh well.

Well this really confirms that there is no demand for goalies at the moment. Hutch cleared waivers from Winnipeg already, too.

Teams rarely get far in training camp without having a pretty good idea who their top 2 goalies are. If the position is unclear, it's usually because they have too many goalies capable of playing in the NHL, not too few.

If he were waived after game 42, he would probably get claimed (and I'm still a bit surprised he cleared now). But this is a barometer for the current goalie market. There is none.

Very true. It also explains why McPhee didn't take 6 goalies in the expansion draft like some suggested. Most people said the d-men would be the best trade chips, and here we are with a stockpile just biding time until we can move them. For me, it's not really worth judging McPhee until at least the day after the trade deadline.

I assume Ship and his agent asked about and were told the type of team they were likely to field and what the direction of the franchise would be from day 1. If they didn’t, it’s on them. I’m sure he’s just fine for now.

Since it appears he's not playing tonight, I wonder if he'll be recalled tomorrow. If not, that'll give them a couple more days to have him ready for the home opener on Tuesday. We've got an excess of players and Shippy has waiver-eligibility, so we might as well use it.

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
The Maple Leafs have acquired goaltender Calvin Pickard from Vegas for forward Tobias Lindberg & a 6th-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft. (LeafsPR on twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad