Waived: Calvin Pickard placed on waivers by Vegas. (Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
McPhee dodged a bullet there. I was just about 110% sure that Toronto would have snagged him up.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Why do people think that a goalie who was on the worse team in modern history would be picked up? He was part of the problem, not a passenger and he's not blameless. He was the obvious choice of the player for Vegas to take from the exposed ones from Colorado but it's not like he's some 20 year old goalie with huge potential.

Oh and his five-hole sucks.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
A lot of hand-wringing and "WTF" comments about two goalies who probably won't be in the league in two years (Pickard and Subban)...
I disagree, subban doesn't look to be amounting to much but pickard had one bad year behind a bad team and all of a sudden a 25 year old with upside is trash. At the very least he's proven he can be depended on in 20 or so games a season as proven from his previous two years. At 1mil for just this season he's wortg a shot as a backup

Been watching Subban since his draft year, never looked like a legitimate NHL prospect to me...Pickard has shown almost zero progression in the last 18-24 months. The holes in his technique are just a lot to overcome at the NHL level and he's not tracking in the right direction. The development arc for him looked much steeper when he was in junior, but it has really flattened out...there's just not much there. If I had a goalie coach that thought he could work with him and wasn't planning on contending this season, maybe I'd give it a look...but I'd need my goalie coach to really give me something of substance about what he's going to do for him to make him a legitimate asset...because right now, he is not...that's why he's been given away in two of the last two instances where it was possible to give him away...

People look at age and just assume that there is "upside" automatically...that is just not congruent with reality all the time. It takes proper talent evaluation to determine upside and trajectory...players just don't improve linearly like a video game...there's a lot to consider when talking about this stuff...save pct and, in this particular case, age, are just not that relevant (with some leeway to "age"). If you're looking at this from a "let's evaluate talent" perspective, then it's easy to see why he cleared. If you're looking at it from a "every player has upside...because..." perspective, then this comes as quite a shock...

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Why do people think that a goalie who was on the worse team in modern history would be picked up? He was part of the problem, not a passenger and he's not blameless. He was the obvious choice of the player for Vegas to take from the exposed ones from Colorado but it's not like he's some 20 year old goalie with huge potential.

Oh and his five-hole sucks.

Fleury wasn't much better last season, especially when considering their salaries.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
McPhee dodged a bullet there. I was just about 110% sure that Toronto would have snagged him up.
Don't want to fill up the contract slots. May as well trade a nothing contract for him. Plus McBackup isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How did he a dodge a bullet? Successfully passing a 25 year old goalie through 30 other teams who have no interest in him is not dodging a bullet.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Don't drink too much coffee,
Fleury was #59 among 95 goalies in EVsave%.

But thats was factoring in a bad start to the year, as the Pens are prone to... he was bad at the start, average for a bit , but after the trade deadline when he wasn't playing through rumors he was solid... he isn't a guy who can spot play... he needs to play a lot to keep his groove...

In the playoffs he was spectacular

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Well this really confirms that there is no demand for goalies at the moment. Hutch cleared waivers from Winnipeg already, too.

Teams rarely get far in training camp without having a pretty good idea who their top 2 goalies are. If the position is unclear, it's usually because they have too many goalies capable of playing in the NHL, not too few.

If he were waived after game 42, he would probably get claimed (and I'm still a bit surprised he cleared now). But this is a barometer for the current goalie market. There is none.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
"Phew, I sure am glad that no one stole my bad goaltender. Close call!"
Judging Pickard by what he did last year on a 48-point team, eh?

Moreover, Pickard getting claimed would have meant their ED pick from Colorado not materializing into anything whatsoever - not even one game as a Golden Knight, no late round draft pick, nothing. That would have been piss poor asset management.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think Vegas wants him to get starts in the AHL vs occasionally starting behind Fleury. Wouldn't surprise me if Fleury went down with an injury if they called up Pickard and had him start over Fleury.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Judging Pickard by what he did last year on a 48-point team, eh?

Moreover, Pickard getting claimed would have meant their ED pick from Colorado not materializing into anything whatsoever - not even one game as a Golden Knight, no late round draft pick, nothing. That would have been piss poor asset management.
George Mcphee is about to start the inaugural season for the expansion team he's handing tonight with arguably his best centre and best defenseman in the AHL because of his incompetence to make the appropriate moves since June to be ready for tonight. Losing a poor goaltender for nothing wouldn't have been any worse piss poor management than what we're already experiencing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
George Mcphee is about to start the inaugural season for the expansion team he's handing tonight with arguably his best centre and best defenseman in the AHL because of his incompetence to make the appropriate moves since June to be ready for tonight. Losing a poor goaltender for nothing wouldn't have been any worse piss poor management than what we're already experiencing.

Just sit back and enjoy your top-3 picks the next 3-5 years and hope you nab 1-2 legit stars. That’s his plan IMO to build the core of the franchise.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just sit back and enjoy your top-3 picks the next 3-5 years and hope you nab 1-2 legit stars. That’s his plan IMO to build the core of the franchise.
I'm sure that's his plan but it's disgraceful that he wasn't ready for opening night. Good luck signing free agents in the future. Especially those from Europe. Ship must be ready to lose his mind. He didn't come over here to sign with the Micky Mouse Clubhouse.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I actually think that Pickard clearing waivers makes him slightly more valuable... no? Most teams already have backups and prospects, but if they can nab Pickard and have him in the A, it gives certain clubs flexibility in terms of evaluating their own guys before slotting Pickard in.

We have Lack in the way right now, but if we could swap Lack+ for Pickard so that we don't disrupt the ability to evaluate Rittich, I think the Flames are much more interested in Pickard than previously.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Don't drink too much coffee,
Fleury was #59 among 95 goalies in EVsave%.

I've never had a cup in my life. Nor have I considered a defense of an argument based entirely and solely around save pct. to reflect positively on the person spewing that forth. I will assume based on your response you have no interest in discussing, or do not possess the ability to discuss, the topic legitimately.

Reactions: Sir Goose

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure that's his plan but it's disgraceful that he wasn't ready for opening night. Good luck signing free agents in the future. Especially those from Europe. Ship must be ready to lose his mind. He didn't come over here to sign with the Micky Mouse Clubhouse.

I assume Ship and his agent asked about and were told the type of team they were likely to field and what the direction of the franchise would be from day 1. If they didn’t, it’s on them. I’m sure he’s just fine for now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I assume Ship and his agent asked about and were told the type of team they were likely to field and what the direction of the franchise would be from day 1. If they didn’t, it’s on them. I’m sure he’s just fine for now.
You think Ship and his agent were told that he would start in the AHL? Absolutely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad