Waived: Calvin Pickard placed on waivers by Vegas. (Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Its probably a gamble. If they win, thry get a free Suban. If they lose, they get “slightly” worse. The timming can’t be better. Its a small gamble.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Through the end of the 2016 calendar year, before Varly was obviously injured, Varly played 21 games and had a 0.901 SV%. During that same time, Pickard played 18 games and had an 0.899 SV%. Pickard didn't earn the starting job, he got handed it when Varly had surgery.
And yet, Pickard finished with a .904 save percentage. And had a .922 save percentage the year before, whereas Varlamov had a .914. Pickard has outplayed Varlamov every year he's been in the league.

Just maybe playing for Colorado wasn't conductive to developing a goaltender that only had 36 career games before last season. Maybe playing in front of one of the worst teams in the history of the league (statistically speaking) made him look bad and effected his confidence and performance.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Many people have a hard time understanding wtf GMGM is doing. Is the man a genious that is so far ahead or a complete blunding idiot?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't get this move by Vegas. Subban is bad enough that he warranted them putting him on waivers over Khudobin, yet he is good enough to backup Fleury in Vegas, over Pickard, makes no sense. Haven't seen Subban's play, but everyone that has and talks about him, say his play has been underwhelming to say the least. Strange. Then again, Vegas could have actually had a decent team, but instead chose to pick crappy players instead.

How is not selecting Dumba versus what they got in return going to pay off? (They get Erik Haula and Alex Tuch, and they had to give up a 3rd rounder and not take Dumba)???
Could have taken Marc Methot, and didn't. (His trade value is certainly higher than anything they currently have on D)
Could have had DeHaan or Pulock, or Brock Nelson, and didn't. (Plus they have actually have to pay Grabovski to not play)(I know they got a 1st rounder, but it will be mid pack at best)
Could have taken Grubauer who looks pretty good from what I have seen. (Instead they now have Subban as backup)
I know there are a few more I am forgetting.

If they want to finish bad, fine, point is, most of the players they made trades to not take, would have gotten them more in trades at the deadline or earlier in my opinion, then the current roster can.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'd love the Flames to waive/demote Freddie Hamilton and claim him. I'd much rather Pickard over Lack

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
My guess is Anaheim, given that they have contract room.

Miller is injured, and Berra isn't a goalie you want in the NHL, period.

I'm actually surprised Vegas decided taking a flyer on Subban is worth more than Pickard.

Okay, the Ducks claim him. Then when Miller comes back from injury, the Ducks put him back on waivers and Vegas claims him back. In the meantime, McPhee makes a move or two to shuffle up the roster, injuries occur, and Pickard goes straight to the AHL (unless another team puts in a claim).

We see this every year, when a "name" player goes on waivers and everyone assumes he'll get claimed. I know there's a chance it could happen, but I'm not going to pretend to be surprised if/when he clears tomorrow. Too many teams already have their tandems set, unless an injury occurs tonight or - like you said - if the Ducks decide to claim him to ease the burden on Gibson while Miller is out. But then the Ducks have three more goalies under contract AFTER Berra, that I'm not even sure if they'll put in a claim.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think I'd rather have Pickard over Brossoit on the Oilers. But I think it would be smart for a couple other teams ahead of us on the waiver wire order to pick him up, so doubt he gets to us. I think he's much more proven than Brossoit, and after Talbot we have no NHL goalie with any real NHL experience. Pickard would bring that. Brossoit probably also clears.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
So yesterday McPhee says that Subban isn't ready for the NHL yet but he'll stay up, and now he waives Pickard. I don't know what he's doing but I don't imagine Fleury-Subban being better than Fleury-Pickard at this point in time.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Leafs will get Pickard cause their backup stinks

I’d take him as a ranger fan but doubt they do that to Pavelec

MaritimeHockeyNut

Rehabilitated Troll
Nov 26, 2010
Maritimes
wow. subban over pickard? I think they are clearly going on potential here and not on actual skill. Interesting move by Vagas. Pickard gets claimed here for sure. hes better then 5+ teams backup right now including bostons.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
It's not like Vegas needs to win now anyways. They are clearly tanking hard for Dahlin/Svechnikov.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
This transaction is strange. I can only imagine they want Subban in there because Pickard could potentially win them some games, which is what they don't want.
I'm pretttttty sure Vegas doesn't want to put a team out there that's to be as bad as possible. An untested market with the goal of being the worst team in the league is a marketing nightmare, one that they may never pull out of once the NFL shows up.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Okay, the Ducks claim him. Then when Miller comes back from injury, the Ducks put him back on waivers and Vegas claims him back. In the meantime, McPhee makes a move or two to shuffle up the roster, injuries occur, and Pickard goes straight to the AHL (unless another team puts in a claim).

We see this every year, when a "name" player goes on waivers and everyone assumes he'll get claimed. I know there's a chance it could happen, but I'm not going to pretend to be surprised if/when he clears tomorrow. Too many teams already have their tandems set, unless an injury occurs tonight or - like you said - if the Ducks decide to claim him to ease the burden on Gibson while Miller is out. But then the Ducks have three more goalies under contract AFTER Berra, that I'm not even sure if they'll put in a claim.

What's wrong with that scenario? It gives Anaheim a reliable back-up for zero assets until Miller is healthy, with a guarantee he'll be claimed when he's put back on waivers (given he doesn't stink it up). At worst, his contract ends at the end of the year. I'm not quite sure why the other goalie contracts have any bearing on claiming Pickard for the Ducks, as Berra would still be starting in the AHL if Miller was healthy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I really don't understand a lot of the stuff McPhee has done. It started with his moves leading up to, and including, the expansion draft, and has continued up until now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can sort of see what McPhee is trying to do there. It's the right time of year to slip a backup goaltender through waivers, if ever there is one.

But it seems like a complete fools errand and an unnecessary risk on account of Malcolm Subban having shown absolutely nothing that indicates he's an NHL calibre goaltender right now, on track to becoming a quality NHL starting goaltender any time soon. And especially not if he's expected to "develop" in the NHL, behind an AHL team that is going to get its doors blown off regularly.

There's just no upside to it. It's like some twisted pedantic version of "asset management" trying to hoard all 3 goalies, without being able to send the worst of them to the AHL.

I'd wager there's a decent chance Pickard actually does clear waivers. He's really nothing special. But it's a bizarre risk to take with a guy that McPhee seemed pretty high on previously and is at very least, a capable NHL backup with a bit of upside.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wow, we wasted our waiver claim on Nemeth when we could have Pickard back for nothing...wtf

NHL Waivers aren't like fantasy hockey. Waiver priority is based on standings. It doesn't rotate based on who claimed a guy last or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad