Confirmed with Link: Calvin Pickard, McBackup, Placed on Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This has Dubas' fingerprints all over it, and I don't agree with it at all. McBackup was far better than Sparks in pre-season and it wasn't even close.

Dubas is letting his experience as the Marlies GM cloud his judgement on this one, and I don't think it's going to sit well with Babs. McBackup is going to get claimed for sure.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't particularly like sparks, but this is backup goalie we are talking about, they are always available. I guess McBackup's age stopped them from keeping him it makes sense. If sparks shit's the bed yet again we may be forced to use a pick on one but not the end of the world

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
How does Marincin keep getting away with it, I don't understand

Congrats to Holl though

Cap friendly contract. This is presumably his last chance.

He was one of the Marlies best D on the Calder run. There are some redeeming qualities of his play but I don't think we can expect much out of him.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
This has Dubas' fingerprints all over it, and I don't agree with it at all. McBackup was far better than Sparks in pre-season and it wasn't even close.

Dubas is letting his experience as the Marlies GM cloud his judgement on this one, and I don't think it's going to sit well with Babs. McBackup is going to get claimed for sure.
Babs got what he wanted with Carrick being sent down, it seems like he's never been a fan.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Yup a vet who knows his role and plays it well. has the numbers last year to back it up too

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
I think people are overreacting a tad bit. I understand that McElhinney had a career year last year and was arguabley the best backup in the league, but he is 35.

Meanwhile, Sparks won a calder cup and won best goalie in the AHL last season. I understand he had a poor pre-season, but to me it wouldn't have made any sense to waive Sparks. He'll be a solid backup for the leafs this season, and hopefully for the next few years.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
A ton of ridiculous hot takes in here. Nobody seems to get it. It's not about liking Sparks more than McBackup or Holl/Marincin more than Carrick. It's about trying to retain EVERY asset. Sparks would easily get claimed. Dubas is hoping due to McBackup's age and Carrick's cap hit, he doesn't have to lose anybody.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I honestly don't understand why everyone is so surprised. This was the obvious move.

Is Sparks a gamble? Yes. But McBackup is just as big of a gamble. Worst stats among active goalies in the NHL and everyone's acting like he's ol'reliable as if he's guaranteed to be the best backup in the league this season.

That said I do really hope McBackup clears (and Pickard as well). All reports suggest he's a great teammate and good pro to have around the young guys.

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
Whenever I see Marincin on the ice I get the same feeling I used to get when watching Aki Berg and Anders Eriksson play for us...But on the other hand Rosen, Borgman, Holl etc didn't do well in camp either.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
They chose Sparks over McBackup? :laugh:

Welcome to finishing barely 7th or 8th.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dubas putting to much stock in how he played behind a stacked fairly vet AHL team ?

Sparks SV with the Marlies by year: .915, .928, .922 and .936 (over 20+ games each year). He's got a chance to be a good goalie that gives Andersen some great games off besides just the back to back games. We'll never know if we don't give him a chance.

McElhinney was good for us and he can still be called up (I highly doubt anyone will pick him up) if things go wrong with Sparks but this is the best decision the Leafs could have made with the hand they have been dealt.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Great call on Sparks over McElhinney. Made absolutely no sense to support the older goalie over a young goalie with a tremendous amount of skill and experience over the last 3 years.

I didn't want to lose Sparks on waivers and I am glad that the Leafs felt the same way.
He’s very skilled at dropping to his knees as soon as the puck crosses the blue line. He’s also very skilled at letting goals in through his legs and over his glove hand.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Just statistical likelihood and basic common sense, but yeah, nothing indicating that at all.
Maybe, that he won't post as stellar numbers, yes.

But nothing indicating that he couldn't be a good backup. Referencing an arbitrary age number doesn't trump his play last season, this preseason.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I will gladly eat my words if Sparks becomes McElhinney 2.0. But my feeling is he wont be able to replicate what McElhinney's done.

You mean be the worst goalie in the NHL for the next 10 years and then have an elite 20 games at age 35?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Great call on Sparks over McElhinney. Made absolutely no sense to support the older goalie over a young goalie with a tremendous amount of skill and experience over the last 3 years.

I didn't want to lose Sparks on waivers and I am glad that the Leafs felt the same way.

Sparks doesn't look good in the NHL though, his numbers are bad and he was the worst goalie in camp. In 17 NHL games he's a 3.02 GAA and under 900 sv%.

Sparks didn't earn it.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I genuinely don't like this move. McBackup was great at his job. Stats and starts aside, the backup should gel with the starter. I feel like he did good with Andersen.

Pickard or McElhinney will be claimed by Calgary. Probably Pickard. And I'll be happy for him if he does.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
My only reasoning I can see here is Dubas knowing more than some forum posters that he thinks Sparks had a good shot of being claimed.

Seeing that Marincin and Holl were given spots and Carrick placed on waivers despite Carrick being more likely to be claimed, I hope you can understand the frustration.

We’re talking about a backup goalie here. We should be keeping the best player, and that’s McBackup. Frankly, Sparks is arguably 3rd on the list.

I’ve heard of coaches having their guys, but Dubas went out of his way to give Sparks, Marincin and Holl Sportsnet on the team despite none of them earning one in camp.

I’m not sure how I feel about it to be honest

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
So what was the point of even bringing Mac to camp if the job was Sparks' anyway?

Sparks totally crapped the bed. Mac destroyed him in the "comp"...and they put Mac on waivers? This was obviously never a competition, they had obviously already decided it was Sparks' job, and it's not really fair to string Mac along like that. He could have been at some other team's camp competing legitimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad