Confirmed with Link: Calvin Pickard, McBackup, Placed on Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
was one of the best backup goalies in the league statistically last year, what has Sparks done at the NHL level?
Sparks has done nothing in the NHL. However, goalies 25 and under with Sparks performance in the AHL typically go onto become NHL starters. It would be bad asset management to waive him, especially when we might have a guy like Pickard to bring up if Sparks falters. Not to mention the backups available around the league. You have to take risk to be rewarded with goaltenders sometimes

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
A ton of ridiculous hot takes in here. Nobody seems to get it. It's not about liking Sparks more than McBackup or Holl/Marincin more than Carrick. It's about trying to retain EVERY asset. Sparks would easily get claimed. Dubas is hoping due to McBackup's age and Carrick's cap hit, he doesn't have to lose anybody.

Good points. Carrick at 1.3 may make some think twice

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
When was it ever determined that McElhinney can't handle more than 20 games? Besides, 20 games with his record deff trumps 25 games if they're under .500 which is what I expect from Sparks.

It was decided when McElhinney went 3 straigtht seasons when he really only played back to backs (the one time Anderson whe got injured briefly when McE first got here withstanding). If he was capable of handling more, he would have been given more. It's not like he wasn't like he was a terrible goalie or anything. His stats are amazing when he plays. But unless Babcock is stupid, he's obviously limiting his playing time.

Also a few preseason games should not trump his excellent form last year in the AHL. He dominated. There has not been a goalie who has looked that good in the Leafs system since Reimer, and he beat out Pickard, a proven NHL goalie, to do it. One bad game in Montreal (which was not unlike McBackup's performance in Detroit) and another shaky one in Buffalo (where his defense kept giving up prime opportunities. He probably wishes he had the 5-hole one back and maybe the one where he got caught up after overcommiting on a turnover) is not going to trump the fact that he was one of the best players in the AHL last year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd be even more disappointed if one preseason game weighed more heavily in their decision making process than the entire previous year as well as age+upside. it's pretty silly that you want to pretend there's a rift between Dubas and Babcock now over the backup goalie, Simmons

When did I say there was a rift?

I said Babcock was likely disappointed at the decision. That’s far from a rift :laugh:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just want to point out again that Sparks has never been given a chance in the NHL yet.

Being thrown in the NHL before he was ready with a brutal team as part of a tanking strategy and under performing in 2/3 pre-season games doesnt count.

Lets see how he does in the show. If he isnt good, we can adjust.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Hope Mac gets claimed, he doesn't deserve to be in the minors. Sparks doesn't look good in net, this sucks. If he sucks, I do like Pickard though so I hope he gets through.

Too bad couldn't even get a fourth round pick for Carrick. Hope he gets claimed too as we don't want or need him and he's just blocking other people on the Marlies.

Good luck to all these players, all gud pros. For real though

Reactions: ToMaLe

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Maybe the Leafs think they can develop Sparks better at the NHL level? He's got nothing else left to do at the AHL.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
How Marincin made the team I'll never know.

I don't really care that McElhinney got waived. He's been good for us sure, but at 35 and with last year being an outlier compared to his previous seasons, I can see why management went with the younger option in Sparks. Hopefully he can justify the faith management has put in him.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Maybe, that he won't post as stellar numbers, yes.

But nothing indicating that he couldn't be a good backup. Referencing an arbitrary age number doesn't trump his play last season, this preseason.

Historically, there’s far more indicating he’ll be a bad backup than a good one.

Reactions: stickty111

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
McElhinny has done a great job, Kind of worried that we went with the guy who hasnt been able to stop a beach ball in the NHL.

CANNOT BELIEVE WE WAIVED CONNOR CARRICK! Are you kidding me?

Justin Holl has been the sloppiest guy on the ice for much of the pre-season, I dont know what Dubas sees in this guy, especially to choose him over Carrick

Marincin shouldnt touch the ice

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Literally no one would claim sparks. Everyone currently has 2 better goalies. We should've kept him down to develop more. Mcbackup is a lot better and was a god last year

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Great call on Sparks over McElhinney. Made absolutely no sense to support the older goalie over a young goalie with a tremendous amount of skill and experience over the last 3 years.

I didn't want to lose Sparks on waivers and I am glad that the Leafs felt the same way.

Only a great call if Sparks takes a massive step up and can adjust to the NHL speed and playing once every 2 weeks. The safe play was keep mcBackup who has proven that he can do the exact job that he has been asked to do. Nobody pushing Anderson out of the Leaf net for 3 years. I would have taken the best option for this year in CM and figured things out as required in 3 years when some of our younger recently drafted goalies mature a bit more.
Bottom line is I hope Pickard clears. He is a better NHL option IMO than Sparks.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
McElhinny has done a great job, Kind of worried that we went with the guy who hasnt been able to stop a beach ball in the NHL.

Justin Holl has been the sloppiest guy on the ice for much of the pre-season, I dont know what Dubas sees in this guy, especially to choose him over Carrick

But if Babcock isn't going to play him, better to let him go elsewhere. Or if as someone else mentioned, maybe they think the 1.3 cap-hit will scare off other teams

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
No way mcheliney is claimed. He's 35.
Pickard is good as gone which is very unfortunate.

Carrick probably clears

Interesting that one of holl or Marincin is in the roster full time..

In order of preference I'd keep
Pickard - really deserves a legit shot somewhere. He's gone.
Sparks - also deserves a shot. He's a great goalie who shouldn't be shamed because of his NHL stint 3 years ago or because of a mediocre camp.
Mcheliney - 39 and played way above his head last season. He'll clear.

Last edited:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Besides always flopping around like a fish out of water and letting in tons of goals, the thing I dislike most about Sparks is his body language when those goals go in. His head drops, his shoulders sag, the expression on his face is that he’s about to cry ... he just LOOKS mentally weak in net and I think it affects the entire team.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Dubas must know that Mac isn't getting claimed. Mac will clear then be brought up immediately, and for the first 10 games we will carry three goalies. Sparks will be given a couple of chances to increase his value, either to the team or to be traded.
On the other hand, if Mac gets claimed, this is a gross miscalculation. Sparks will not be a reliable backup.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

The game score stat in preseason shines a nice light on Holl. He might be better than the eye test says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->