Confirmed with Link: Calvin Pickard, McBackup, Placed on Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
McBackup is the only semi-surprise but the age gap had a lot to do with it. Not sure any of these guys get claimed.

Looking forward to seeing Sparks get a solid look with the real team now and still have at the very least Picard as a backup option if it goes south.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Surprised that Curtis McElhinney was waived, worng goalie IMO.

More surprised Holl was not the first guy waived. Was one of the worst guys in camp, far worse than Carrick... Even Marincin should have been sent down if Carrick was not getting dealt.

Probably thought since Carrick had cap he could slip through. Definitely no reason why he should have been waived over the other two based on play.

I also think 8D is a waste of time. Should have just kept 3 goalies until Nylander came back and tried to trade one of them before he did.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
First bad move by Dubas IMO I’m obviously a big supporter of Dubas, but Sparks didn’t show much in the pre-season to warrant taking McBackup’s spot.

Oh well, hopefully it doesn’t cost us key games.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
More surprised Holl was not the first guy waived. Was one of the worst guys in camp, far worse than Carrick... Even Marincin should have been sent down if Carrick was not getting dealt.

Probably thought since Carrick had cap he could slip through. Definitely no reason why he should have been waived over the other two based on play.

I also think 8D is a waste of time. Should have just kept 3 goalies until Nylander came back and tried to trade one of them before he did.
I trust there is a plan that we're not privy to. Agreed, some of this stuff doesn't make sense.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
McElhinney is money in the bank on back to backs. Not sure I understand this move.

The Leafs want more than that obviously. They don't want a backup who can only handle <20 games a year and has no upside. Sparks has upside, plus should be able to handle ~25 games to ease Andersen.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I will gladly eat my words if Sparks becomes McElhinney 2.0. But my feeling is he wont be able to replicate what McElhinney's done.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
First bad move by Dubas IMO I’m obviously a big supporter of Dubas, but Sparks didn’t show much in the pre-season to warrant taking McBackup’s spot.

Oh well, hopefully it doesn’t cost us key games.
My only reasoning I can see here is Dubas knowing more than some forum posters that he thinks Sparks had a good shot of being claimed.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I trust there is a plan that we're not privy to. Agreed, some of this stuff doesn't make sense.

I think we'll see some Pickard type moves. There is probably a team willing to trade for them only after they clear first. That way they can move them up and down without worry.That would make sense at least for the goalies. Carrick, no clue. He shouldn't be in the AHL. Not even his preseason was bad enough, especially in comparison to the two guys who allegedly beat him for a job, for that to happen to him. Wouldn't be shocked if there is a team already lined up if he clears, just like what happened with Jerebek after he cleared waivers in Edmonton.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
They probably want Mcbackup but they're seeing if they can slide him through. It's asset management.

Yeah unfortunately it's not always earned.

Also Marincin is gone once Nylander is back. The Goat maybe too... they've both had numerous chances to make the NHL... doubt either are around on the Leafs for to long.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
The Leafs want more than that obviously. They don't want a backup who can only handle <20 games a year and has no upside. Sparks has upside, plus should be able to handle ~25 games to ease Andersen.
When was it ever determined that McElhinney can't handle more than 20 games? Besides, 20 games with his record deff trumps 25 games if they're under .500 which is what I expect from Sparks.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I expect McBackup and Carrick to be claimed.

Disappointed Sparks was handed a spot. I imagine Babcock feels the same.
I'd be even more disappointed if one preseason game weighed more heavily in their decision making process than the entire previous year as well as age+upside. it's pretty silly that you want to pretend there's a rift between Dubas and Babcock now over the backup goalie, Simmons

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Why is Marincin still on this team? He's lowkey playing for the other team. Also suprised McBackup got waived. He was way more steady than Sparks. I didn't want to lose either goaltender though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad