Friedman: Calgary will consider offers on Dougie Hamilton and Sam Bennett

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I wonder if Calgary pulls the trigger on an offer of one of Puljujärvi or Yamamoto for Hamilton. They're a bit unproven in the #1RW position but Hamilton has quite a bit of baggage himself considering he gets traded so often so maybe that evens out the trade value.

Nope, never not a chance, neither of those guys is what the Flames need, and Hamilton solves a lot of problems for the Oilers.

Outside of Draisaitl as a winger, the Oilers don't have the asset that they would need to give up to get Hamilton.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
I could see DET making a play for Hamilton but Id be very wary of the cost. They have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds this year but need to hold on to that top 10 pick

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As a Leafs fan I'd be very into Hamilton, but not "Nylander" into Hamilton.

The Flames acquired him for a mid 1st (15th overall) and two mid/late 2nds (45th and 52nd). At the time he was a coming off a 42 point season as a 21 year old, and was ready to sign a long term RFA deal. He's a bit better now than he was then, but he's also about to turn 25, and 3 of the 6 years of his RFA deal are gone. I feel his value is at best equal to last time he was traded, and arguably lower. My offer would be:
  • Leafs 2018 1st round pick (25th overall)
  • Choice of Gardiner or Zaitsev
  • Connor Brown
Doesn't have a sexy blue chip youngster, but it's two quality NHLers and a late 1st, which is probably more like the return they'd get in the real world, if they traded Hamilton.

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018

The Flames acquired him for a mid 1st (15th overall) and two mid/late 2nds (45th and 52nd). I figure his value is still pretty similar to that. My offer would be:
  • Connor Brown
Doesn't have a sexy blue chip youngster, but it's two quality NHLers and a late 1st, which is probably more like the return they'd get in the real world, if they traded Hamilton.
no thanks, as well noted in this thread, this doesn't help the flames compete now, we need a top RW, not a crappy dman, and a bottom six winger and a magic bean. IF Hamilton gets moved, once again, it is for a stud RW, like Mark Stone tier type of player. And his value is also higher now than it was in Boston, and most people would agree that that was a steal of a price to pay for Hamilton.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
no thanks, as well noted in this thread, this doesn't help the flames compete now, we need a top RW, not a crappy dman, and a bottom six winger and a magic bean. IF Hamilton gets moved, once again, it is for a stud RW, like Mark Stone tier type of player. And his value is also higher now than it was in Boston, and most people would agree that that was a steal of a price to pay for Hamilton.
I think it's a long shot that the Flames actually trade Dougie. If they do, though, trading him for a similar age, similar ability player is ... unlikely. These trades just don't happen very often in the NHL, almost always it's "quality for quantity" type deals. Fans never like these deals, but GMs recognize the value of depth, just look at Vegas.

To reiterate, I don't think Dougie actually gets dealt. But if he does, the return will likely be something more like a 1st and two solid NHLers than a Mark Stone type.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think it's a long shot that the Flames actually trade Dougie. If they do, though, trading him for a similar age, similar ability player is ... unlikely. These trades just don't happen very often in the NHL, almost always it's "quality for quantity" type deals. Fans never like these deals, but GMs recognize the value of depth, just look at Vegas.

To reiterate, I don't think Dougie actually gets dealt. But if he does, the return will likely be something more like a 1st and two solid NHLers than a Mark Stone type.

Hamilton will fetch more than a measly first and two NHLers. We need a star player, not sure how many times we have to say that. If we don’t get that star forward, then we’ll gladly keep Dougie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

The Flames acquired him for a mid 1st (15th overall) and two mid/late 2nds (45th and 52nd). At the time he was a coming off a 42 point season as a 21 year old, and was ready to sign a long term RFA deal. He's a bit better now than he was then, but he's also about to turn 25, and 3 of the 6 years of his RFA deal are gone. I feel his value is at best equal to last time he was traded, and arguably lower. My offer would be:
  • Connor Brown
a few things.

1) Many believed both then and now that the last Hamilton trade was a steal for the Flames
2) Trade value 3 years ago doesn't really impact trade value now
3) He's more than a "bit better". He's a "bit better" offensively, he's significantly better defensively
4) Your offer is laughable

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

• Connor Brown

The return Dougie got from the Flames is completely irrelevant to what he could fetch now

He was in a contract year and it's well speculated Bos traded him to get ahead of a potential offersheet from EDM

His past trade serves as no barometer in what he should get now

It's like thinking William Karlsson was acquired for free, therefore he isn't worth more than a 3rd rounder

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
a few things.

1) Many believed both then and now that the last Hamilton trade was a steal for the Flames
2) Trade value 3 years ago doesn't really impact trade value now
3) He's more than a "bit better". He's a "bit better" offensively, he's significantly better defensively
4) Your offer is laughable

Unfortunately for Calgary Hamilton is damaged goods at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Their hand is forced, much like Boston was when they had to get rid of him because he was such a toxic presence in their organization.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Unfortunately for Calgary Hamilton is damaged goods at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Their hand is forced, much like Boston was when they had to get rid of him because he was such a toxic presence in their organization.

Only thing damaged seems to be your reading comprehension

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Are you ignorant, illiterate or just a troll? Actually read the article in the OP and please tell me how their the Flames hand is forced.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

• Connor Brown

This is basically Dion Phaneuf trade all over again. Trading a very good player for mediocre players. Hope the Flames only do a solid 1 for 1 swap if (big if) Douglas gets moved.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Why are they trading him if that's the case then exactly?
Flames aren't in a position where they're in a cap crunch, he's being unruly, they have people pushing his position.

The only reason you'd even consider it, and honestly, they're not considering it, is if you can get a top line player in return.
Getting a late first and two NHL players for a star player is about as bad GMing as you can do.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

• Connor Brown

Not even close to enough, the offer is laughable. We're not trading a top pairing 24 year old defenseman for stuff. The response would basically be get serious.

If one of the big two isn't coming back (Marner or Nylander) we're call blocking you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad