Jul 24, 2011
:leafs
Dougie Hamilton
Sam Bennett

:flames
William Nylander
Nikita Zaitsev
Dear god, please no.

Nylander's value = Hamilton (or very close)
Zaitsev >>>> Bennett, even if Z had a bad season. Especially when you consider that both of their career highs in points are the same (36 points each).

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
What's the deal with Hamilton even being available? I was shocked he was available when the Flames got him, and now he's on the block again maybe? Seems to perform well, what's the issue with this guy?

Nothing, he's probably not available, this is just Friedman spitballing.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
How is nylander = Hamilton?
In a vacuum, right now Hamilton is worth more. But if I'm thinking of a long term trade, they equal out because the assumption is that Nylander's production will rise when he hits his prime. Don't get me wrong, Dougie is a hell of a Dman and I've loved him since he played in Niagara. But I feel if Nylander makes the switch to C, or improves his points by 5-10 per season, they will have very similar value.

Reactions: Gaudfather

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
In a vacuum, right now Hamilton is worth more. But if I'm thinking of a long term trade, they equal out because the assumption is that Nylander's production will rise when he hits his prime. Don't get me wrong, Dougie is a hell of a Dman and I've loved him since he played in Niagara. But I feel if Nylander makes the switch to C, or improves his points by 5-10 per season, they will have very similar value.
I respect your reasoning and agree. Will be interesting to see what happens. Chances are both players remain on respective teams.

Reactions: CromLeafsFan

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
If Nylander is worth so much why are you trading him?
Well there are a few reasons. First, I feel like it's going to be really difficult to sign the big 3 long term and still build a team around them. Second, if he stays on the wing, I'd rather see him bring in a defence because we already have a bunch of very skilled, smaller wingers. Third, if he switches to C, I feel like he would thrive with big body players, which the leafs aren't known for, but the Flames can provide.

That being said, in a perfect scenario, I'd like to keep Willy. But if it means bringing a top line D back to play with Rielly, I'd trade him

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
Hamilton and Bennett for Mark Stone +4th OA
The Flames will only trade Hamilton if they get a huge return like this, but I don't think Ottawa or many other teams would like his price tag unless a top pairing RD is an absolute must for them to contend. The Flames have no need to trade Hamilton, so unless any other team is willing to give up extra to get him, he's not going anywhere. I think Ottawa would say no.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Are you suggesting
If Nylander is worth so much why are you trading him?
Are you suggesting Calgary would give away Hamilton?
If so, take out Nylander:
To Toronto Hamilton
To Calgary nothing as anyone we offer people think that we are trying to get rid of them.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
God this is bad. So ottawa gives up the best player, their best winger for an overrated defensemen? AND we get to give away our 4th overall for a bust? Sign me up

Not a good deal but come on... overrated Dman? And Bennett has more value to the Flames than anyone else. Not like he is 30 years old Jesus...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What's the deal with Hamilton even being available? I was shocked he was available when the Flames got him, and now he's on the block again maybe? Seems to perform well, what's the issue with this guy?
@haveandare
First and foremost, this is nothing but pure speculation by Friedman. However, if the Flames are willing it is for the following reasons:

1. The Flames have 3 RHD capable of playing in the top 4 and Brodie who is more comfortable on the right side.
2. The Flames would like to make room for Rasmus Andersson, another RHD that is ready to be in the team.
3. Of Hamilton, Hamonic and Stone, Hamilton by far carries the highest trade value, in fact it's probably on par with Gaudreau and Monahan.
4. The Flames need a top line winger. So trading one of our most valuable assets from a position of strength to fill a need makes some sense.

Reactions: Bishop007

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad