Calgary signs Ryan O'Reillyto offer sheet $5mill per for two years (Avs match)

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Couldn't the Flames theoretically have just left him on loan to the KHL until the end of the season, rather than put him through waivers?

It's almost as stupid as having to put him through waivers, but at least they'd get him for next season.

It's much more likely that Feaster had no idea that could be a possibility and made no plans to prepare for that eventuality, because he is an incompetent, turrble GM.

No, I don't think that's possible. They eliminated the ability to 'loan' players to Europe to get rid of their cap hit and while this isn't the same thing they can't do that.

What the Avs could've done and I heard this from Bob McKenzie on XM today was to let Columbus know what was going on, got them to trade an asset like one of their young prospects, take Calgary picks and then Columbus would claim ROR and Calgary would get nothing.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That's whole Columbus thing would be legal? Seems rather shady. Probably no rule in place because no one would have expected such an ignorant move by a GM.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
And still there are flames fans defending Feaster. If I was a flames fan I would be totally depressed and disinterested until a competent GM took over. And i would have been feeling this way many years before this debacle.

Blow. It. Up.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Couldn't the Flames theoretically have just left him on loan to the KHL until the end of the season, rather than put him through waivers?

From what I read on the business board, as soon as he became Calgary's, they had to put him on waivers whether they loaned him to the KHL or not. They couldn't hide him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No, I don't think that's possible. They eliminated the ability to 'loan' players to Europe to get rid of their cap hit and while this isn't the same thing they can't do that.

What the Avs could've done and I heard this from Bob McKenzie on XM today was to let Columbus know what was going on, got them to trade an asset like one of their young prospects, take Calgary picks and then Columbus would claim ROR and Calgary would get nothing.

If I was Columbus, it better be a helluva prospect/pick coming back. ROR isn't great, but he'd be a big addition to that team.

RedWingsNow*

This is stupid. The NHL needs to fix this.

It's already way too hard to sign RFAs.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
It's only hard because they always get matched, there's nothing that can be done about that.

I don't believe that there's a mass exodus of RFA's being signed to offer sheets by other teams and then leaving their original teams in any pro sport. Seems like the NBA and NFL have similar team options to the NHL's where the RFA's current team has a window of time to match the offer sheet and retain the player. I know some NFL and NBA players have changed teams as RFA's, but most re-sign. I do like the concept of teams getting the first crack at retaining their own talent during the RFA stage.

Seems like it's the NHL's culture to match the offer sheet most of the time, which is insane to just do b/c everyone else is doing it. The Avs screwed the pooch by matching this one, and I don't blame the Flames for going for ROR (the whole "subjected to waivers" thing is a different animal :laugh:). I'd like to think that if a team offer sheeted a player like Flip, and we have guys who seem capable of replacing his production on the roster or on the way up, that KH wouldn't just match for the sake of matching. But he probably would.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

It's almost as stupid as having to put him through waivers, but at least they'd get him for next season.

It's much more likely that Feaster had no idea that could be a possibility and made no plans to prepare for that eventuality, because he is an incompetent, turrble GM.

KHL contract was terminated.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Take it with a grain of salt but the Ottawa Sun says Detroit was trying to acquire RR in a trade with Colorado before the offer sheet happened.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Take it with a grain of salt but the Ottawa Sun says Detroit was trying to acquire RR in a trade with Colorado before the offer sheet happened.

From the Sun:

Had the Flames not made the offer, O'Reilly would have been dealt to the East. The Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings and Calgary all tried to make deals, but Sherman was trying to send him to either the New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs or Tampa Bay Lightning.

The asking price in a trade was rich. League executives say the Avs wanted a player, prospect and No. 1 pick from any team. In the case of the Rangers, sources say the ask was D Michael Del Zotto, LW Chris Kreider and a pick.

That asking price is crazy for ROR. Any GM who would have given all that up is as dumb as Feaster.

No wonder the offer sheet happened.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
ROR is great but personally, wouldn't have given up Smith, Nyquist and 1st for him (I think they'd have asked something like that based on what they wanted from Rangers). I guess I'm not the only one.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
If I was Columbus, it better be a helluva prospect/pick coming back. ROR isn't great, but he'd be a big addition to that team.

O`Reilly isn´t great? He would be a fantastic addition to the Red Wings, and every other team in the NHL. He is severely underrated, and to say he isnt´t great is, quite frankly, an abomination.

Ryan O´Reilly is a playmaker with amazing two-way play who is highly likely to tilt the play towards the opposition´s defensive zone whenever he is on the ice. Players like O´Reilly are what will win you the Stanley Cup...

CloneHakanPlease*

If the rangers demand were accurate these deals seemed more like a "f you" response than actual trade demands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad