Calgary signs Ryan O'Reillyto offer sheet $5mill per for two years (Avs match)

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
According to TSN's Darren Dreger, O'Reilly's contract is for two years, $10 million, 5mill cap hit. He gets a $1 million salary and $2.5 million signing bonus this season, and a $6.5 million salary next season.

Colorado has seven days to match Calgary's offer and retain O'Reilly, or receive Calgary's first- and third-round picks in the 2013 NHL Draft.

If the Avalanche match the offer, they cannot trade O'Reilly for a full year from that date.

I'm wondering, would our team be better if we gave up the same picks in the long run? I have a feeling he will be a slightly better flip. I know we need a top defensemen and a goalscorer to play with Datsyuk, but would it have helped? Perhaps we needed to fill those other two needs before thinking about this.

Last edited:

BazDaSpaz

Sep 7, 2011
The Qualifying offer of 6.5Million pretty much kills this deal for the Avs. They'd have to resign him at a minumum 0f %90 after that.

If I'm the Avs I let him walk. Take the picks in a deep draft pool. They can't afford to resign him, Stats, Varly, Douchene all at the same time. Bummer for the Avs, but the picks might work out well. Feaster's an idiot. The Flames won't be drafting untill the fourth round as of now if this deal goes through.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Feaster looks really stupid giving up a sure-fire Top-10 pick for this.

This kills any speculation of them dumping guys like JBo, I'm guessing.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Feaster looks really stupid giving up a sure-fire Top-10 pick for this.

This kills any speculation of them dumping guys like JBo, I'm guessing.

O'reilly is worth more than a 10th overall pick imo. I would draw the line somewhere around top6.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
With Calgary's draft position, I take the picks all day long. This is supposed to be a deep draft, so finding a replacement shouldn't be too difficult. Plus, the kid has played 230ish games? Not even half a point per game? Calgary is paying for potential that he hasn't reached yet. Let them take the monetary risk and go draft a replacement. Plus, the 2nd year of the contract is $6.5 mil, that means the qualifying offer has to be at least that amount, at the end of next season mind you. That means Calgary pays him $3.5 mil for 30 games, $6.5 for 82 and then has to re-up him for at $6.5 after that. $10 mil for potentially 112 games worth of a 22 year old who scores a point every 2 to 3 games. No thank you.

It wouldn't be that huge of a risk for Colorado to let him walk.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
The Qualifying offer of 6.5Million pretty much kills this deal for the Avs. They'd have to resign him at a minumum 0f %90 after that.

If I'm the Avs I let him walk. Take the picks in a deep draft pool. They can't afford to resign him, Stats, Varly, Douchene all at the same time. Bummer for the Avs, but the picks might work out well. Feaster's an idiot. The Flames won't be drafting untill the fourth round as of now if this deal goes through.

Would the Avs even want to re-sign Stastny?

Looks like the Flames aren't going to be sellers.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
To be honest, the return is not the main issue for Avs.

If they were to match, they have to pay 9M+ for about 100 games. (2.5M signing bonus this year + 6.5M next year + portion of this year's salary)

Than they have to put in 6.5M QO or lose him as UFA.

They can't even trade him next deadline because of the 365 days rule and the trade deadline next year won't be as far back as this year.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
O'reilly is worth more than a 10th overall pick imo. I would draw the line somewhere around top6.

I'm with you on ROR- he's a proven NHL talent (they are clearly banking on ROR continuing to improve, but his 55 point season last year was better than Flip in every year but last season for him). There's no guarantee that a Top 10 pick pans out, but this guy seems to be doing so already so the Flames get an impact player this season. I like the move for them.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I'm with you on ROR- he's a proven NHL talent (they are clearly banking on ROR continuing to improve, but his 55 point season last year was better than Flip in every year but last season for him). There's no guarantee that a Top 10 pick pans out, but this guy seems to be doing so already so the Flames get an impact player this season. I like the move for them.

Plus he is still way younger than Flip. 6.5 next year is pretty hefty though. Id take ROR over Flip any day with Datysuk and Z getting older.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
People were complaining after giving up a 1st rounder for Kyle Quincey.

Seeing as this team is a 50/50 shot of even making the playoffs this years..no dice

Calgary continues to be the old Toronto where they continue to make foolish moves and delay the inevitable. They will miss the playoffs even with O'Reilly and potentially be a lotto team.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I think Colorado is the winner in this deal by letting him walk. Deep pool, high picks gained, added cap. No brainier let him walk.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417051

1st and a 3rd compensation.

Flames are a top 5-7 lottery pick for sure IMO. Tough call.

Flames are tied for 7th last with three teams, with ROR, they might improve a bit, they could draft anywhere from 7th-15th overall after acquiring him.

I'm thinking its not a bad move for the flames, you run the risk of losing a high pick and that player turning out well, but also that player could not live up to expectations. ROR is so young it really doesn't matter for the future if they were to select an 18yr old out of this draft, cause hes only 21 now. If he put up 50 point last year there is still room for improvement,he might be a 60 point player for his career. Calgary is guaranteed a certain performance that IMO is worth the risk of giving up a 1st and 3rd in their draft position. He is young enough to fit into a rebuild If they decide to go that route in the near future. Atleast Calgary has the balls to try to improve themselves, hint hint.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
People are totally underrating this as a move for Calgary. This automatically improves their special teams and gives them great scoring depth. Iggy, Tanguay, Cammy, Hudler, Glencross, Stajan, and O'Reilly, Cervenka, and Backlund all have room to improve. And JBo, Gio, and Wideman is a very serviceable veteran Top 3. O'Reilly is also a huge boost in that he's a natural two-way center who'll be given a long leash. I wouldn't be surprised if they dominate their last 10-15 games down the stretch and end up picking outside of the top 15.

In reality, this is a pretty good situation for both teams.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
People are totally underrating this as a move for Calgary. This automatically improves their special teams and gives them great scoring depth. Iggy, Tanguay, Cammy, Hudler, Glencross, Stajan, and O'Reilly, Cervenka, and Backlund all have room to improve. And JBo, Gio, and Wideman is a very serviceable veteran Top 3. O'Reilly is also a huge boost in that he's a natural two-way center who'll be given a long leash. I wouldn't be surprised if they dominate their last 10-15 games down the stretch and end up picking outside of the top 15.

In reality, this is a pretty good situation for both teams.

Replace Kessel with ROR and Toronto with Calgary and this is exactly what Leaf fans said after that trade.

Granted I thought Toronto would finish higher, too, but boy that bombed for them. If this Calgary pick is top 5, watch out, we got a Kessel/Seguin situation on our hands.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
A lot comes down to the health of Kiprusoff. Healthy Kipper, adding RoR, Iginla always heats up, yeah the Flames have a decent shot at the playoffs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417051

1st and a 3rd compensation.

Flames are a top 5-7 lottery pick for sure IMO. Tough call.

Yeah, if I'm the Avs I let him walk. They get their own very high draft pick and Calgary's. In an incredibly deep draft. I feel bad for the Flames' GM. He's probably getting eaten alive by the media every day of the hockey season. Kenny only has to deal with the HF Boards savants. :sarcasm:

CloneHakanPlease*

Replace Kessel with ROR and Toronto with Calgary and this is exactly what Leaf fans said after that trade.

Granted I thought Toronto would finish higher, too, but boy that bombed for them. If this Calgary pick is top 5, watch out, we got a Kessel/Seguin situation on our hands.

Not really comparable in my opinion. Calgary isnt as bad and a 1+3 isnt nearly as brutal as consecutive firsts

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
ROR having to be qualified at 5.85 minimum makes this a very interesting move. If I am Colorado I don't match. They could wind up with Monohan anyway with Calgary's pick as this doesn't totally fix the Flames. Calgary has to be the most confusing team in the NHL, it is over, rebuild at least ROR can be a part of that, but giving away a top 10 pick in this draft is a bad move.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
5m cap hit + a 1st and 3rd is drastic overpayment for O'Reilly.

This is why Calgary is never good yet never awful and have been stuck in purgatory for years.

If I'm Colorado I take the picks and call it a day.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Not sure how, when Toronto's top 3 that year were Kessel, Poni, and Stajan and their forward corps was devoid of leadership. By contrast, ROR is coming to a team that has 3 skilled, if aging, veterans ahead of him and plenty of secondary scoring to complement him. Not to mention he is a complete player AND a center, whereas Kessel offers ZERO help on defense and is perpetually among the leagues worst hitters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad