Calgary signs Ryan O'Reillyto offer sheet $5mill per for two years (Avs match)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I know we complain a lot about Kenny's decisions here, but imagine we had to deal with one of Feaster or Sherman? My gosh, they are bad. I guess this whole situation may have more to do with the ownership of both teams, but holy crap. Talk about idiotic.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I have no idea where you drew that inference from. No one looks stupid in this situation, but least of all a GM who had nothing to do with it, which was his insinuation.

Or maybe some people here think Ken Holland should be sending out offer sheets to RFAs just to entertain the online fans.

A lot of fans don't truly understand how the offer sheet process works. Like in the Shea Weber ordeal. Detroit contacted his camp, were told there was no interest there, and so Detroit didn't submit an offer sheet. And a whole slew of posters still raked Holland over the coals for not faxing over an offer sheet :laugh:

CloneHakanPlease*

A lot of fans don't truly understand how the offer sheet process works. Like in the Shea Weber ordeal. Detroit contacted his camp, were told there was no interest there, and so Detroit didn't submit an offer sheet. And a whole slew of posters still raked Holland over the coals for not faxing over an offer sheet :laugh:

Just curious but do you have a source for this? Never heard that we contacted his camp.

CloneHakanPlease*

If people think Calgary's 1st rounder is going to be so high what about trading Filp to them for their 1st +?

We may need to let him walk if GMKH plans on pursuing the big name FAs, and Nyquist/Tatar are there to "replace" him. So better to get something for him now than possibly lose him in the summer for nothing, and isn't Calgary desperate for a center?

If we're trading for Calgary's first, the "+" needs to be on the side of what the WINGS are offering.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Just curious but do you have a source for this? Never heard that we contacted his camp.

Not only did we have talks with his camp, but he even visited Detroit.

Ansar Khan said:
After missing out on unrestricted free agent Ryan Suter, the Detroit Red Wings turned their attention to his former Nashville defense partner, restricted free agent Shea Weber, in their effort to fill the gaping hole on their blue line.

The Red Wings contacted one of Weber's agents, Kevin Epp, and had numerous conversations, but the talks did not reach the stage where they were able to tender a formal offer. Weber reportedly visited Detroit, San Jose, the New York Rangers and Philadelphia. He chose to pursue a deal with the Flyers.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/07/red_wings_pursued_defenseman_s.html

There were a couple other reports at the time about Detroit talking to Weber's camp, but that's the first one I found.

CloneHakanPlease*

Not only did we have talks with his camp, but he even visited Detroit.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/07/red_wings_pursued_defenseman_s.html

There were a couple other reports at the time about Detroit talking to Weber's camp, but that's the first one I found.

This post contradicts what you were saying. If there was no interest there I doubt he would have visited Detroit. I haven't explored downtown lately, but I'm guessing he isn't checking it out as a vacation spot. Just because he preferred the Flyers does not mean he wouldn't have considered us. I can like chocolate and be interested in having some Ice cream while still calling Vanilla my favorite.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
This post contradicts what you were saying. If there was no interest there I doubt he would have visited Detroit. I haven't explored downtown lately, but I'm guessing he isn't checking it out as a vacation spot. Just because he preferred the Flyers does not mean he wouldn't have considered us. I can like chocolate and be interested in having some Ice cream while still calling Vanilla my favorite.

No, that's not how it works. He had initial interest, sure. But when it was time for an offer sheet, the interest was 0. He had decided on Philly and he was in fact no longer considering Detroit (nor any of the other teams he visited, all of which subsequently refrained from sending him an offer sheet as well). The Wings courted him. He entertained their courtship, yes. But, in the end, he had no interest. The visit and the talks were simply part of the process used to reach that finality. When the window opened for an offer sheet, Weber said, "no thanks, don't bother."

There's no contradiction.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yup just like Schultz talked to a bunch of teams. Guys are going to explore all their options, if for no other reason than to leverage more money from their preferred destination.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I amend my claim that no one looks stupid in this situation. Feaster looks like an idiot who should be fired.

And mindfly wanted Holland to do the same thing. :laugh:

CloneHakanPlease*

No, that's not how it works. He had initial interest, sure. But when it was time for an offer sheet, the interest was 0. He had decided on Philly and he was in fact no longer considering Detroit (nor any of the other teams he visited, all of which subsequently refrained from sending him an offer sheet as well). The Wings courted him. He entertained their courtship, yes. But, in the end, he had no interest. The visit and the talks were simply part of the process used to reach that finality. When the window opened for an offer sheet, Weber said, "no thanks, don't bother."

There's no contradiction.

"No thanks, don't bother" because he preferred Philly. Not because he would never consider playing for the wings as you are insinuating. And for the record, I think anyone who talks bad about Holland for the Weber deal is an idiot.

As for ROR, I feel like Calgary dodged a bullet and the Avs may potentially lose in this situation. I'm sure the lockerroom isn't going to be very warming to ROR and that his new high cap hit will make him harder to deal.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
So, now I want to know what other teams that were close to signing him to an offer sheet.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Jeebus, they need to fire Feaster.

It would have been hilarious to watch though :laugh:

I'm now convinced Colorado should have let him walk, just so we could watch Columbus end up with ROR, Colorado with the draft picks, and Calgary with nothing.

As much as I don't want to see Colorado and Columbus improve, the sheer entertainment of watching this scenario would kind of make it worth it.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
"No thanks, don't bother" because he preferred Philly. Not because he would never consider playing for the wings as you are insinuating.

I don't see where I insinuated that, but if I did, it was unintentional. My original point was simply that, when the time came for an offer sheet, Weber had made his decision, and it wasn't Detroit. Therefor, Holland did not submit an offer sheet. This should make perfect sense to a rational, objective person, yet there were still a bunch of posters, here and elsewhere, who lambasted Holland for not faxing Weber an offer sheet anyway, even though Weber had already said he would not sign one.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
If we're trading for Calgary's first, the "+" needs to be on the side of what the WINGS are offering.

Take into account that this would be a move around the trade deadline where everyone's recklessly buying, Calgary (Feaster?) maintains hopes of reaching the playoffs, and Feaster has already proven how desperate he is. It might be easier than you think to nab their first round pick, perhaps even a peripheral aspect of trading for Bouwmeester.

The Flames need help at center, as Feaster illustrated with his bold attempt, and we need to move a defenseman anyway; I say we offer up Filppula and White, and they get the center to fill their need, on top of a functional offensive defenseman who makes considerably less than Bouwmeester. If Holland needed to throw in a high end prospect, I think that it would all even out; Bouwmeester may be a "steady" defenseman, but he is significantly overpaid and fairly overvalued. It could be done.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't see where I insinuated that, but if I did, it was unintentional. My original point was simply that, when the time came for an offer sheet, Weber had made his decision, and it wasn't Detroit. Therefor, Holland did not submit an offer sheet. This should make perfect sense to a rational, objective person, yet there were still a bunch of posters, here and elsewhere, who lambasted Holland for not faxing Weber an offer sheet anyway, even though Weber had already said he would not sign one.

I don't see where you insinuated that either.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I amend my claim that no one looks stupid in this situation. Feaster looks like an idiot who should be fired.

And mindfly wanted Holland to do the same thing. :laugh:

He wasn't the only one here.

I really blame this mindset in sports these days on sports talk radio. People here locally listen to assclowns like Mike Valenti and want to make a big move just for the hell of it.

And if it backfires, they'll be crushed and labeled moronic. However, if it works out, they'll go well..you COULD have done better.

BTW I still can't believe Colorado matched..egads

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Then maybe instead of saying there was "no interest" say he preferred Philly?

Again, didn't mean to make that insinuation, and it's beside the main point anyway. What was meant was that Weber wasn't accepting offer sheets until he made a decision. And his decision was not Detroit. So at no point in time was it ever appropriate for Holland to submit an offer sheet. People seem to think that the offer sheet process includes submitting them out of the blue, and while that may have happened at some point, it's not the norm, and it wasn't the case with Weber.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Couldn't the Flames theoretically have just left him on loan to the KHL until the end of the season, rather than put him through waivers?

It's almost as stupid as having to put him through waivers, but at least they'd get him for next season.

It's much more likely that Feaster had no idea that could be a possibility and made no plans to prepare for that eventuality, because he is an incompetent, turrble GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad