Calgary signs Ryan O'Reillyto offer sheet $5mill per for two years (Avs match)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess they will finally trade Stastny... Kind of surprised they matched, I know he was going in division for this year, but still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Guessing there is a lot of angry looks going around in the box area tonight in Denver. Interesting time to pull the trigger on it while you are playing each other.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Colorado pretty much turned down a potential lottery pick and a third rounder for O'Reilly. I don't think it's worth it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Colorado pretty much turned down a potential lottery pick and a third rounder for O'Reilly. I don't think it's worth it.

I'm not sure it is, either,but maybe it depends what they think of Stastny. He's having a weak year, and is coming off a couple of other mediocre years. If they want to move Stastny, locking in O'Reilly makes that easier.

edit: weak for what's expected of him, anyway.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
terrible move by colorado
-poisioned work enviroment.
-just screws their entire salary structure, this makes Duchene worth north of 7 million
-they cant trade him now for at least 12 months
-they just gave up a top 5-7 pick(which would have given them two based on how crap they are)

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
If people think Calgary's 1st rounder is going to be so high what about trading Filp to them for their 1st +?

We may need to let him walk if GMKH plans on pursuing the big name FAs, and Nyquist/Tatar are there to "replace" him. So better to get something for him now than possibly lose him in the summer for nothing, and isn't Calgary desperate for a center?

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
If people think Calgary's 1st rounder is going to be so high what about trading Filp to them for their 1st +?

We may need to let him walk if GMKH plans on pursuing the big name FAs, and Nyquist/Tatar are there to "replace" him. So better to get something for him now than possibly lose him in the summer for nothing, and isn't Calgary desperate for a center?

I like the idea, I'd imagine that Jarnkrok would pick up the position next season anyway. Potential home-run draft pick without having to bomb to get it; a plausible scenario, especially with them having proven how desperate they are to address that position.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Sure but I don't think they are going to trade it for a pending ufa.

RedWingsNow*

Guys, the playoff race is going to be tight

That means lots of potential buyers and few sellers.
That means higher prices

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I like the idea, I'd imagine that Jarnkrok would pick up the position next season anyway. Potential home-run draft pick without having to bomb to get it; a plausible scenario, especially with them having proven how desperate they are to address that position.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Flip is pretty replaceable, seems like last year was a career best and he's back to the passive 35-45 pt scorer, and we could either use the pick on a future stud or package it in a deal for top 6 scorer or top pairing D-man.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Yep.
That GM is going to look stupid because he tried to help his team and the other team matched.:laugh:

I have no idea where you drew that inference from. No one looks stupid in this situation, but least of all a GM who had nothing to do with it, which was his insinuation.

Or maybe some people here think Ken Holland should be sending out offer sheets to RFAs just to entertain the online fans.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not sure how, when Toronto's top 3 that year were Kessel, Poni, and Stajan and their forward corps was devoid of leadership. By contrast, ROR is coming to a team that has 3 skilled, if aging, veterans ahead of him and plenty of secondary scoring to complement him. Not to mention he is a complete player AND a center, whereas Kessel offers ZERO help on defense and is perpetually among the leagues worst hitters.

I think that's hindsight. Toronto NEVER would have made that trade if they expected the picks to be that high. But they had just signed guys like Komi and they expected to be a playoff bubble team. Ooooops!

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I guess they will finally trade Stastny... Kind of surprised they matched, I know he was going in division for this year, but still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Not sure why they need to trade Stastny now. This means instead of $17m in cap space, they have $12m in cap space. No worries about next year either, because Duchene and Landeskog still have another year left on their deals.

The way this draft is shaping up, it might have been wise to take the picks and pray that Calgary misses the playoffs. Then you have two shots at Jones/McKimmon. Or, they could end up with two lousy picks and end up with Brian Lee and Zach Hamill.

They'll deal him next summer and probably get more than this, but they'll really be kicking themselves if the Flames win the lottery this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->