Calgary or Vancouver?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I imagine being an Oiler fan in Calgary means constant heckling if you wear a jersey out. I think you can probably get away with it in Edmonton or even in other NHL cities. Meanwhile I see people wearing their Flames jerseys here in Edmonton with impunity!

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I remember seeing so many damn flames car flags in town during their 04 cup run. It made me sick.

So was there any Red Mile celebration last night in Calgary or still too early for that?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I love the look of that Flames team. A perfect blend of youth and veterans. The young skill on that team is something to watch: Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett. If they go deep enough and Giordano comes back, maybe this team could actually win 2 or 3 rounds.

I so wish we would have drafted Bennett.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I remember seeing so many damn flames car flags in town during their 04 cup run. It made me sick.

So was there any Red Mile celebration last night in Calgary or still too early for that?

Probably too early. While there are (finally) people wearing jerseys and car flags, there's nowhere near the pandemonium there was 10 years ago.

Probably bandwagoning. :laugh:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Probably too early. While there are (finally) people wearing jerseys and car flags, there's nowhere near the pandemonium there was 10 years ago.

still only game 1 of round 1.. I'm sure if they make it past Vancouver, it'll start to get more crazy down there.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

people need to realize 2004 was a one-off

they were an irrelevant franchise that had missed 7 straight years (only...haha) and hadn't won a series since 1989 and it was spontaneous due to the miracle run they went on..

even today, people are expecting Red Mile 2 to be just and spontaneous but it'll never be the same as in 2004

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Outside fan coming in peace. I'd almost think most Oiler fans would prefer if the Flames won because it would really rub it in Lowe/MacT's face about how bad they messed up their own team and how their neighbours down south have had such great success. You'd have to think that in some universe somewhere, that would make Katz mad and he'd clean house after witnessing the Flames success. It might be the lesser of 2 evils, but I would have to think that the longer of a run the Flames go on this post-season, the more pressure is on Katz to actually do something to fix his own team.
I doubt like hell that any of Katz, Lowe or Mactavish even realize the season is still going for 16 teams. Judging by the way they operate, I'm convinced they think the season really ended on April 11th. Doubt any of them are paying attention to the playoffs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I was embarrassed for Edmontonions when this was going on. It was disgusting.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I was embarrassed for Edmontonions when this was going on. It was disgusting.
See and for me I look at that and say .. meh, at least its their own property. If they want to fly a Flame flag I would say that's their business.
I find it much more disconcerting to come to an Oiler site and see so many people falling over themselves with praise and envy for the Flames.
Wanna love the Flames? They have a board for that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
See and for me I look at that and say .. meh, at least its their own property. If they want to fly a Flame flag I would say that's their business.
I find it much more disconcerting to come to an Oiler site and see so many people falling over themselves with praise and envy for the Flames.
Wanna love the Flames? They have a board for that.
The funny thing though was that it disgusted me in 2004, I couldn't possibly care less now if it was to happen again. People want to cheer for the Flames in Edmonton? Who cares? Have fun.

I never thought I'd become as apathetic about this team as I am now. I lived through the tough times of the post Gretzky and dynasty era where we went from best in the world to pretty terrible. I never stopped loving this team and always felt we'd get back there. It's different now though, I don't see us ever getting out of the mess we're in. I don't think the owner remotely cares either and as a sports fan, nothing is more depressing than that.:(

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
The funny thing though was that it disgusted me in 2004, I couldn't possibly care less now if it was to happen again. People want to cheer for the Flames in Edmonton? Who cares? Have fun.

I never thought I'd become as apathetic about this team as I am now. I lived through the tough times of the post Gretzky and dynasty era where we went from best in the world to pretty terrible. I never stopped loving this team and always felt we'd get back there. It's different now though, I don't see us ever getting out of the mess we're in. I don't think the owner remotely cares either and as a sports fan, nothing is more depressing than that.:(

That's how pathetic this all evolved to. I remember discussing with Flames fans a few years ago that the Oilers were doing the right thing rebuilding with youth. Looks like they have lapped us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad