Calgary or Vancouver?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I know in Edmonton you are not suppose to like Calagry but I was not born and raised in Alberta and I like Calgary. They are the biggest underdog of the season this year. Everyone myself included was expecting them to be near the very bottom of the league but now they are in the playoffs. I like to cheer for the underdog usually and I hope they win. Out of the Canadian teams Toronto and Vancouver are my least favorites. Toronto is almost always terrible and Vancouver is a good team but just something about their playing style I just don't like. I always hope all the Canadian teams make the playoffs I was cheering for them in their 2011 playoff run. Still I am a very big fan of the Canucks.

I'm sorry, but if you cheer for the Flames and you're a "big fan" of the Nucks, I have to put your Oiler fandom into question.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
I want Vancouver.

The media has been falling over themselves for opportunities to praise the Flames in any way imaginable this season, and I'm quite frankly tired of hearing about them.

If the Nucks go to round 2 you probably don't hear too much about it from the National media, if the Flames make it the noise around that team will be unbearable to listen to. I hope the Nucks sweep them so that we don't have to unjustifiably hear about how the Flames are gods gift to hockey for another couple of weeks.

Also, with the sheer BS luck that team has had this year I have a legit fear that the Flames could pull off a miracle run if they find the right momentum. The Nucks are going nowhere past the second round if they move on.

Everyone in the league was saying the same thing about us with our three shiny new 1st overall picks and how talented and offensively gifted and special we are.

The only difference is that now the Flames having some success. Something we havent managed.

Payback sucks.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Everyone in the league was saying the same thing about us with our three shiny new 1st overall picks and how talented and offensively gifted and special we are.

The only difference is that now the Flames having some success. Something we havent managed.

Payback sucks.

I don't think the situations are comparable. Just one example, but the media seems to be annointing Gaudreau as the Calder winner, Hudler is now in the Hart discussion somehow, Hartley a lock for the Jack Adams, etc. for a team that barley snuck into the playoffs.

Nuge didn't get the Calder because his +/- wasn't as high as Landeskogs despite having the same number of points in 20 less games. Nuge was running away with it until media group think snuck in a couple of weeks into his injury to perpetuate the "intangibles" narrative. Yakupov was the first player to lead rookies in scoring to not get nominated for the Calder since the 50's. Pretty sure "being on a playoff team" was he narrative that season that cost Yak his due. The media has seemed to find reasons to downplay any minor successes that we have managed to come across in this **** storm.

We've never received this level of universal praise. Part of it can be attributed to the fact that they've stayed competitive the whole year, but when you're playing a game on HNIC, Gaudreau finishes 0-0-0 -1 with two shots and they have an iso-cam on him at every possible moment - it's going overboard.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
The fact that this series is actually happening and this choice has to be made just underscores how awful this year was for Edmonton.

I will be ignoring 100% of this series. Can't even bring myself to want one team to win over the other. My only hope is whoever gets through gets crushed in the second round.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I want Vancouver.

The media has been falling over themselves for opportunities to praise the Flames in any way imaginable this season, and I'm quite frankly tired of hearing about them.

If the Nucks go to round 2 you probably don't hear too much about it from the National media, if the Flames make it the noise around that team will be unbearable to listen to. I hope the Nucks sweep them so that we don't have to unjustifiably hear about how the Flames are gods gift to hockey for another couple of weeks.

Also, with the sheer BS luck that team has had this year I have a legit fear that the Flames could pull off a miracle run if they find the right momentum. The Nucks are going nowhere past the second round if they move on.

^true words! keep in mind the Oilers of '06 just got into the playoffs that year and went to game 7 of the finals so it could happen! :amazed:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
They way I see it, is a vote for Calgary is a Vote against the Oiler OBC Regime.

FLAMES fans are pitying us for christ's sakes. Do you know how sad it is when the Flames actually give us PITY?

We aren't even considered a joke to them anymore. We're like a boxer who gets knocked out in the 1st round. After getting knocked out 9 times in a row, they don't think it's funny, they think it's pathetic, and sad.

THAT'S what Calgary Flames fans think of the Oilers. So don't pretend like there's some kind of rivalry at this point. There isn't. As much as the OBC brass wants you to believe there is.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
It seems that lots of the annoying Vancouver fans have jumped off the bandwagon since their re-tool, so I'll go with the Canucks. Not taking anything away from the Flames season, but playoffs separates the pretenders from the real deals. I don't see their youth having much of a chance.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
They way I see it, is a vote for Calgary is a Vote against the Oiler OBC Regime.

FLAMES fans are pitying us for christ's sakes. Do you know how sad it is when the Flames actually give us PITY?

We aren't even considered a joke to them anymore. We're like a boxer who gets knocked out in the 1st round. After getting knocked out 9 times in a row, they don't think it's funny, they think it's pathetic, and sad.

THAT'S what Calgary Flames fans think of the Oilers. So don't pretend like there's some kind of rivalry at this point. There isn't. As much as the OBC brass wants you to believe there is.

haha, you haven't spent much time in cowtown have you??? They have had pity for Edmonton for a lot longer than one year...

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I've been ABC, anybody but Calgary forever, but I have great respect for what Hartley has done this year with a team with heart, character and belief. Found myself softening to maybe ... maybe cheer for them over the Canuckles.

That is until they showed bloated gasbag Brian Burke in the press box sporting his idiotic untied tie around his neck.

Go Canuckles.

McDeathbyCheerios*

There is no player on Calgary I hate like I do Bieksa so.. Calgary it is

Last edited by a moderator:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Probably Calgary. They are less dislikeable than Vancouver. Although mostly I am hoping for a long brutal series that softens the winner up to get swept next round

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Jankowski helped his team win the Frozen 4 over Eichel and the gang.
Bennet, Monahan are looking like keepers.
Johnny G is looking great.

Sad times!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Calgary advancing in the playoffs is the ultimate FU to the work our management has done. They're our neighbor team and rivals that started their rebuild a few years after us yet they are already years ahead of us.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Didn't know who I was gonna 'cheer' for in this series. But while watching the game last night, I found myself wanting Vancouver to win. Guess my hate for Calgary is just too great.

That said, I'm really impressed with all the players Calgary has brought in that is contributing to the team success - Wideman, Hurdler, Hiller, Russell, (even Engelland)... great additions over the years. And Bennett was really impressive for an 18 year old in his second game. Not gonna put down Draisaitl, but I was a huge fan of Bennett last year before the draft and was kinda hoping the Oilers would pick him.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Calgary

There's just something about Vancouver that irks me.
I'd say it's because they always beat us. But then that's every team.

Calgary while I'm glad made the playoffs.
I'll definitely be cheering against them next round.

I cheer for Canadian teams to get in. Then die a quick death.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
Didn't know who I was gonna 'cheer' for in this series. But while watching the game last night, I found myself wanting Vancouver to win. Guess my hate for Calgary is just too great.

That said, I'm really impressed with all the players Calgary has brought in that is contributing to the team success - Wideman, Hurdler, Hiller, Russell, (even Engelland)... great additions over the years. And Bennett was really impressive for an 18 year old in his second game. Not gonna put down Draisaitl, but I was a huge fan of Bennett last year before the draft and was kinda hoping the Oilers would pick him.

This. We sat around laughing at teams for bringing in older players to help their teams stay competitive, thinking the scorched earth Penguin/Hawks rebuild model was going to bring us cup after cup. Our tanking model does not resemble those other two in the slightest. We deserve all of the crap we get as we were the most smug bunch of losers I have ever seen.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
History has symmetry. When the Flames won the cup in 89, the Oilers won it the next year. When the Flames went to game 7 of the finals in 2004, the Oilers went to Game 7 of the finals the next year.

The Flames fluke out a cup run a season removed from finishing 4th last in 2015...... then I wake up from the dream.

Though I despise Calgary, I kind of want to see them face Dubnyk in the Conference finals to give an ultimate eff ewe to Oilers management.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Calgary.

I didn't grow up in Alberta so I don't have the political hate towards Calgary even though I live in Edmonton now. There's only two teams I despise and that's Toronto and Vancouver.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
Why not root for the Flames? It just reiterates how useless our management team is. They are even winning games with arguably there best player out of the line up. I hate the sedin sisters, burrows, tanev, bieksa and Kassian. Calgary is way less irritating. I also really enjoyed watching Bennett play last night. He is a puck hound and isn't scared to get physically engaged.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why not root for the Flames? It just reiterates how useless our management team is. They are even winning games with arguably there best player out of the line up. I hate the sedin sisters, burrows, tanev, bieksa and Kassian. Calgary is way less irritating. I also really enjoyed watching Bennett play last night. He is a puck hound and isn't scared to get physically engaged.

Try being an Oiler fan in Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad